Trombe

宇多田ヒカル(utada hikaru) new album "Fantôme" release

1 hour ago, sads123 said:

Could you elaborate on the drama? I was in Tokyo last week and the Utada's promotion completely dwarfed  Exile's with her posters and music playing everywhere I turn. The only other release that came even remotely close in terms of promotion was radwimp's 'your name' album, due to the hit movie.

Well I'm not too informed on the current details, but I have seen that Hikki's album has succeeded in pulling ahead of EXILE's best of.

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/103565995.html

It's being talked about right now b/c this is the SECOND time that AVEX pulls this stunt, using one of their best record selling artists.

When I was still into JPop, I remember Utada Hikaru came out with her new album DISTANCE, and AVEX pulled a bitch move and used Ayumi Hamasaki (I dont think you need an explanation of who she is) to promote a BEST OF album. I remember because I bought both lol.

You would have had to have been in tokyo during 2001 to have seen the amount of promotion that AVEX went through to make sure Ayu's record sold.

BOTH CDs sold extremely well (we are talking hundreds of thousands on release), but Hikki's came out on top.

Ayumi was pissed off that she was being forced to make a best of album for AVEX greed (this led to bad blood between her and the company), and went on to apologize on her behalf.

Ayumi was already planning to release a greatest hits CD on her own, but AVEX shut her down, and had her do this instead.

Eventually I think it lead to Ayu being stressed out and worked to the point where she later became deaf in one ear.

So yeah lol

Edited by YuyoDrift

3 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

Well I'm not too informed on the current details, but I have seen that Hikki's album has succeeded in pulling ahead of EXILE's best of.

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/103565995.html

It's being talked about right now b/c this is the SECOND time that AVEX pulls this stunt, using one of their best record selling artists.

When I was still into JPop, I remember Utada Hikaru came out with her new album DISTANCE, and AVEX pulled a bitch move and used Ayumi Hamasaki (I dont think you need an explanation of who she is) to promote a BEST OF album. I remember because I bought both lol.

You would have had to have been in tokyo during 2001 to have seen the amount of promotion that AVEX went through to make sure Ayu's record sold.

BOTH CDs sold extremely well (we are talking hundreds of thousands on release), but Hikki's came out on top.

Ayumi was pissed off that she was being forced to make a best of album for AVEX greed (this led to bad blood between her and the company), and went on to apologize on her behalf.

Ayumi was already planning to release a greatest hits CD on her own, but AVEX shut her down, and had her do this instead.

Eventually I think it lead to Ayu being stressed out and worked to the point where she later became deaf in one ear.

So yeah lol

Thanks for the elaboration! That 3 version 2 CD, 3 DVD Exile Best-of was really over the top but I'm glad a no-frills one version only Utada album came out on top. What I don't understand is, why would Avex do that, going against a confirmed seller like Utada? Wouldn't releasing the best-of album during a quiet period ensures all attention are on them and even better sales numbers, since there's nothing else fighting for the consumers' limited spending power?

2 minutes ago, sads123 said:

Thanks for the elaboration! That 3 version 2 CD, 3 DVD Exile Best-of was really over the top but I'm glad a no-frills one version only Utada album came out on top. What I don't understand is, why would Avex do that, going against a confirmed seller like Utada? Wouldn't releasing the best-of album during a quiet period ensures all attention are on them and even better sales numbers, since there's nothing else fighting for the consumers' limited spending power?

I'm guessing it's partly to bring down her sales after having been away for 8 years. Though in Utada's case I doubt it would matter anyway. People who love her and have been waiting for her return will buy the album, whether or not there's another big seller around.

10 minutes ago, sads123 said:

7 minutes ago, Kaye said:

I'm guessing it's partly to bring down her sales after having been away for 8 years. Though in Utada's case I doubt it would matter anyway. People who love her and have been waiting for her return will buy the album, whether or not there's another big seller around.

this is true @Kaye

Basically, they wanted to recreate one of the most iconic pop rivalries of all time, and boost sales to all time highs once again.

What better way to get physical copies sold, than to release it with an old rival?

Ayumi had already released her remaster of "A Best" (the same one from 2001) in March of this year, so they had to use the next big thing.

Marketing can work wonders when nostalgia is the driving force behind it.

Now if AVEX had known about Hikki's return ahead of time, best believe they would have stomped all over Ayu again and held off that best of remaster until now.
Now THAT would have been something.

6 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

this is true @Kaye

Basically, they wanted to recreate one of the most iconic pop rivalries of all time, and boost sales to all time highs once again.

What better way to get physical copies sold, than to release it with an old rival?

Ayumi had already released her remaster of "A Best" (the same one from 2001) in March of this year, so they had to use the next big thing.

Marketing can work wonders when nostalgia is the driving force behind it.

Now if AVEX had known about Hikki's return ahead of time, best believe they would have stomped all over Ayu again and held off that best of remaster until now.
Now THAT would have been something.

Ah.... now that you put it that way, I get it; I'm sure existing hardcore fans of Exile/Ayumi will buy the best-of albums that they already possess in some form in earlier albums to make sure Exile/Ayumi is on top of the charts! But its not the late 1990s/early 2000s anymore where Best-of albums are a rarity (in Japan, at least) and CDs are the only medium you can spend money on to possess songs so this sales race is for naught, really, since they do not take into account digital sales. Though we all know who'll come up on top in that aspect as well *coughhikkicough*