Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

HBO May Make The Jump From Cable/Satellite Model To Direct-to-Consumer Model

http://www.homemediatech.net/hbo-may-make-the-jump-from-cablesatellite-model-to-direct-to-consumer-model/558

HBO, which is a part of the Time Warner family, is looking at moving away from satellite and cable companies to become a part of the direct-to consumer model. According to Bewkes this broadband-only option didn’t present itself until now, which is why the company never thought to consider it before.

Although HBO has a 114 million subscriber base, its revenue is less because it must share it with the distributors. Should HBO eliminate its middleman, it won’t have to deal with the costs. It will have an array of other problems to contend with – billing, content delivery, customer service and marketing, which is not on their plate now.

Let's go! I hope HBO makes this move successfully and ends up destabilizing the TV/Cable mergers greatly. I don't think it will be in time for Game of Thrones Season 6 though. :(

That's kinda interesting. If the new solo HBO can give me all of their material/channels for $10 a month that I used to pay $50 a month through my provider, that would certainly be something.

Sign in to follow this