Sign in to follow this  
SUBLIMINAL

WHAT'S BLOOMING IN MY GARDEN

Does this belong in DUDE, CELERY?! I think so. Oh well.

SO. About four days ago, I discovered a baby seagull cowered under a bench in my front yard. At first I thought it might be stuck, so I sort of... shooed it outside, thinking it'd more than likely find its mother out there rather than trapped in my garden. But I woke up the next day to squawking and found it exactly where I had before, which is weird because

one: It was too young to fly in and down

two: My house is... well, it's a cottage surrounded by three more cottages, two of them are empty, and the garden is shared and shut off, there's a doorway and an 'alley' to get through to find it.

It must have waited for someone to leave the door open and strayed back inside. Why? To wait for its mother where it'd gotten lost? I don't know. But it stayed there calling to all the adult gulls that fly by and all of them were ignoring it. I google searched and apparently gulls are ground-nesters, but I couldn't find a nest anywhere out there and I really just think he's been abandoned. I called the RSPB but they won't do anything - I live in a seaside town and they're in abundance here, they're considered vermin/scavengers.

It looked really frightened and hungry and I couldn't just have an animal starve in my garden, so this morning I made it breakfast.

foodz.png

gull.png

eating.png

He waited until I went inside to eat it, but he wolfed it down and paddled in the water I left for him as well. MY QUERIE IS. What do I do with him now? I can't/won't have wild birds in my house, especially if its mother is going to come back for it eventually, but I considered building a makeshift nest for him outside and buying cat food to soak and feed him.

I don't know who else to call, though. What would you do?

Awww, I want one :3

It looks so cute!

You should keep it and train it to fly onto your arm on command! That'd be so cool.

No seriously though, I don't know what you should do?

Have you approached it?

No, it's still "wild" and afraid of people, which I think is for the better.

I did make him a nest after all but I used one of my sister's t-shirts for it. She was going to give it to charity, but she was damn pissed about it. 8D

I'm thinking I'll just feed and watch him until he's big enough to wander out on his own.

did it eat cat food? :o

maybe could try some anchovies?

But it would be quite pricey with anchovies D:

especially it won't stay forever with you

but it might come back on next migration to say thanks to u, though :)

and if the seagulls parents are never return, maybe u gotta encourage it learn to fly when it ready,

i am not familiar with birds behavour, but usually the parents will encourage them kids to learn to fly when old enough.

normally i am not being friendly with seagulls,

as it always annoys me. But in this case, it needed help from human to survive, so good for you.

Yep, it was actually gone when I checked this morning.

I was feeding it sardines for a while and I guess he got a taste of fish/the sea... Must've flew off during the night, he got big surprisingly quickly.

Sign in to follow this