Sign in to follow this  
sai

Worst English singing J-ROCKERS?

Most Japanese artists sing some songs in English because it reflects the general Japanese love for American culture and music.

Like the term PV: It sounds very AMERICAN! and Japanese bands like that, so the trend carried on.

The fact they are even playing rock music at all reflects their interest in American culture. If they wanted to be absolutely true to their roots, they'd just stick to the traditional music and instruments of Japan.

But hey, it isn't like avoiding Western culture is something easy to do nowadays.

I agree with you. Luckily there are some more traditional/original band anyway. But not so many :/

Would You be so kind to give some examples? Do You (or maybe anybody else) know any (neo)folk Japanese band? It could be in same style like European bands, I mean acoustic guitars and all this stuff like Current 93, Death In June and many others, or just true modern reflection of ancient Japanese music with traditional instruments etc... Does anybody be able to find something like that?

I agree with you. Luckily there are some more traditional/original band anyway. But not so many :/

Would You be so kind to give some examples? Do You (or maybe anybody else) know any (neo)folk Japanese band? It could be in same style like European bands, I mean acoustic guitars and all this stuff like Current 93, Death In June and many others, or just true modern reflection of ancient Japanese music with traditional instruments etc... Does anybody be able to find something like that?

Kiryu and Kagrra, are not "neo-folk," though, so the above recommendations are inaccurate. Kiryu and Kagrra, are rock bands with traditional Japanese flair.

Notable Japanese (neo-)folk artists include: 三上寛 (Mikami Kan), 因幡修次 (Inaba Shuji), 山崎??コ (Yamasaki Hako), Slap Happy Humphrey, Goddess in the Morning, RIKKI, and Umekichi

I meant in visual rock scene. They are quite influenced by traditional Japanese stuff, though they are visual kei. They aren't "Wanna be american".

It's not like I was implying that as a negative thing. Although English-speaking music critics do give Japanese bands a bad rep, I believe that a lot of them are actually trying to convey their true feelings and emotions (but through a "Western" medium) and not just doing what they do because "ololololol we r liek Americunzzz, omg wer famus rockstraz."

To be honest, I'm not all that crazy about traditional Japanese music, although some is interesting. I was just stating a basic fact.

Shaura

Ruki

Daigo

Kyo

Dada (with all my love, but on the live I couldnot understand it was english LOL)

@SUBLIMINAL, @gyakutai - thank You very much. I surely check this mentioned bands out, if I'll be in proper mood. Already stuck their names into my list bands-must-listen-to, or how to call it.

Anyway, it seems as I already once did listened to some Kagrra songs and I didn't enjoy them as well, but I just have to give this band probably one more chance :-)

And, as I understood it well, all bands mentioned by You, SUBLIMINAL, bands, are quite neo-folk with traditional origins, right? And how with something in style like ordinary European neo-folk artists, with acoustic guitars, strings, apocalyptic lyrics themes and all this common stuff? It seems somehow extraordinary, as if in Japan, when we see a lot obvious examples of copies American nu-metal, punk, gothic rock (simplifying, i.e. kotekote) and many others, were no bands inspired by Current 93, Death in June, Sol Invictus, if I could give only most well-known projects... I know these artists have been trying to promote themselves in Japan too; I have audio bootleg of Current 93 from Osaka Muse Hall from 1989.07.03. For me it's almost impossible as if during 21 years there was in whole Japan nobody who was interested by doing some music this way.

And of course I agree that being inspired by American/European culture isn't nothing bad, negative at all. Although I see here two problems only. First: that original Japanese culture became because of this fact less well-known, started to be passing over by many Japanese young people, who for sure don't care about it as well as their grandparents. Its perceptible, and it's i.e. already mentioned example of Japanese original terms and gairaigo that can substitute them. It seems as partly serious problem. And second, I can think that if Japanese artists really could feel this "American" way and wanted to be honest in expressing their emotions, they should have work more with their English not to read their written lyrics so terrible as lot of them do. Maybe if they worked more, tried to study more, or something, then we surely didn't debate about it here. Such problem shouldn't then even exist. But as we can see, or listen to... Maybe this Japanese sincerity is just meant somehow wrong?

Sign in to follow this