JukaForever

[SOLVED] Asian Characters and Usernames

Just a general question: what is it limiting forums or other sites from allowing Asian characters in a user's usernames?

I don't go by using characters just cause they look cool but more so because there are just some phrases that doesn't have an English equivalent and I prefer to use the real characters for their meaning not some made-up English equivalent. I always try to use Asian Characters in my username, if that fails, I use a variant of "Forever."I know it's kind of a first world problem, sorry about that.

Well, you can use asian characters on this forum. As a matter of fact, there are users that have asian characters in their name. The only technical limitation is that any name has be at least three characters long. That's something in the forum software and I don't think we can change that.

I can't speak for other sites/forums, but if they don't allow asian characters I'm guessing it's either for technical reasons too, or they don't feel it's necessary to allow them (especially if that site isn't focused on anything related to Asia). Or they just want all names in a script that basically anyone can read.

Oh I see. This username was my first choice so I didn't really try it but I tried asian characters for Deadeyes-Star and doesn't seem to work. Oh well.

Thanks for the info.

You can't use Japanese characters for your username. You can, however, use it for your display name which you can change in your user settings (on Deadeyes-star).

This is deliberate as having a Japanese name for your login name can cause issues and lock you out of your account. This is the same for other sites, on top of the fact that their website and database need to be configured to store Japanese characters.

I found out that typing in Japanese characters in a search for something in a forum will return invalid result.
This is impractical as many artists and album names are in...(surprise) Japanese!