Sign in to follow this  
fitear1590

Filipino Music Thread

Any Filipino music listeners here besides "ronluna"?  Introduce some of your favorite songs/bands/artists here!
Any genres go!  Please put youtube videos in a "spoiler" to help with loading times.

Join the Club
JointheClubbandpic_zpsf6110ee3.jpg

"Balewalang Pag-ibig" is a beautifully melancholic acoustic track with some supreme high-pitched male vocals. Honestly, one of my absolute favorite songs this year; love it! The video is also intriguing and apparently comes from a short film called "catnip," which I'd be interested in viewing.  I really want to hear Join the Club's new album "Gera ng Bararila" to see if it is as awesome as this.

and the regular (non-acoustic) version as well

Kaapin
Kaapinbandpic_zps1cdc97ba.jpg

An electronic, chillwave-type duo.  This is a relaxing track with beautiful spacey synthwork.

Some Gorgeous Accident
somegorgeousaccidentpic_zpsc436d5f5.jpg

Some dreamy indie pop with female vox (though all the "band pics" seem to only show this one guy).  This song is actually in English.  Lovely stuff!

Anj Florendo
Anj-Florendopic_zps75d5a2f1.jpg

Jaunty indie pop with soulful vocals.  It reminds me a little bit of Indonesian band White Shoes & The Couples Company, but as I said, with a different style of vocals.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/anjflorendo/ito-na-naman-original

Regine Velasquez
RegineVelasquezpic_zps0f69c9de.jpg

Often dubbed "Asia's Songbird," Regine has some killer vocals.  I saw her perform one time on the otherwise awful Filipino Channel offered in the US and I immediately fell in love with her.  90s-tastic, in the best way.

Encounters with a Yeti
encounterswithayetibandpic_zps9e0cb729.j

Instrumental post-rock group.  Check them out on Spotify.

hmmz, don't know how, but I've heard of Encounters with a Yeti before xD

Don't have time to actually listen to these, but as you list them as dreamy pop, chillwave, pop with soul etc. Gonna check them out when I get back in a few hours =)

Shoutout to Vandals on the Wall, a great blog for mostly underground Filipino music!  A few artists on this thread were discovered on that site!  Here's some additional artists I'm enjoying!

Lions and Acrobats
lionsandacrobatsbandpic_zps8963fd9b.jpg
Good indie rock band with some post-rocky/slight math tendencies.  Great, atmospheric composition, solid male vox.  This song is in English.

Nora Aunor
noraaunorpic_zps7c73381f.jpg

Simple folk songs from the 70s.  Very nostalgic.  My Lolo's favorite LP, haha.

Conscious & the Goodness
consciousandthegoodnessbandpic_zpsff6087

The "Independent Filipino Soul Band" formerly known as Mike's Apartment.  Simple and classy.  "Dalagang Pilipina" is the first 2014 song I love, haha.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/consciousandthegoodness/dalagang-pilipina

HUMANFOLK
humanfolkbandpic_zpsc4b72309.jpg

A supergroup of well-known Filipino musicians that perform sublime "world music."  This particular song has lyrics which mostly consist of reciting the Filipino alphabet and it still manages to captivate!  Check them out on Spotify.

KZ Tandingan
KZTandinganbandpic_zpsbdd2269a.jpeg

KZ Tandingan is a soulful pop singer with some beautiful pipes.  I believe she competed on X Factor or some other singing show.  Not sure if she won, but she's certainly talented!  Love her smoky voice!  Check her album out on Spotify.

Peryodiko
peryodikobandpic_zps5b27691c.jpg

Alternative rock group with a great balance of chuggy riffs and emotional vocals.  Not my usual style of music, but this song pulled me in!

So today I’m posting an update of only artists that perform in English.

Slow Hello

slowhellobandpic_zps383f2de0.jpg

Slow Hello started as the solo-project of singer-songwriter Selena Salang.  Now with a full band, the group delivers mellow 80’s-inspired indie pop, perfect for hazy summer days.  While some bands in this genre go way too “cutesy” with the lyrics, I think Salang keeps it fairly interesting and introspective.  The music video for “You Know It’s You” (my fave song) is also adorable by the way.  You can check out the band’s 2013 album “Audio Baby” on Bandcamp or Spotify.

June Marieezy

junemarieezy_zpsae697a4b.jpg

June Marieezy does sleek, sexy r&b stuff that just makes you chill out.  She has a kind of unorthodox voice, but it’s still soulful nonetheless.  You can check out some of her releases on Spotify.

Bandcamp: https://junemarieezy.bandcamp.com/track/purple-tree

CONCLΔVE (CONCLAVE)
CONCLAVEpic_zps919b9351.jpg
CONCLΔVE  is the moniker of an up-and-coming electronic producer.  This song features slow, pulsing space synths and minimalist beats. Broody, Lana del Rey-esque vocals are provided by a Filipina named Luxe Calip.  The lyrics are apparently referencing the recent death of mother.

Loop
loopbandpic_zpsd90fc6f6.jpg

Loop does a lite-shoegaze style of power pop.  Kim Trinidad’s voice is gentle, but also packs a punch.  They have an album coming out later in 2014 and I'm very much looking forward to it!

Spazzkid
spazzkidpic_zpsbb983ebc.jpg

Despite his name, Spazzkid produces some really relaxing chillwave.  His album Desire (願う) is available on Spotify.

Hana ACBD
HanaACBDpic_zps765c4dc1.jpg

Hana ACBD is a one-woman electronic/singer-songwriter project.  Her music centers on her innocent vocals and catchy background music.  Some are quirky like “Like Butter,” while other tracks are more down-tempo.  I believe she is putting up her album Metanoia for download soon.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/hanacbd/like-butter-full
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/hanacbd/holden

------------------------

For more promising independent Filipino artists performing in English, be sure to check out this new mixtape from Vandals on the Wall: LOVE FOOL.  Out of 22 tracks, I like/love/need at least 20 of them.

Woah, didn't realize this thread existed until today.

Half-Filipino myself, I've often been curious about music in the Philippines, but I've often felt deterred because of my mom's obsession with love songs and Filipino dramas.

Much of what I've listened to growing up were Sharon Cuneta and Freddie Aguilar, and in the Philippines I either listened to 80's karaoke or F4 (A popular Taiwanese band at the time).
While I still don't understand much, I've tried to appreciate the music since I'm personally inclined to learn at least some rudimentary Tagalog to speak with my relatives & cousins more casually.
I've found a ton of artists on here that I already like (Join the Club, Encounters with a Yeti, Slow Hello,etc.) so now I'm more inclined to pick up more artists :D.

I'm not too familiarized with Filipino artists, but I have one favorite that I'll include here:

Freddie Aguilar - Anak

I find this song to be very touching lyrically, and I love his voice.
This has sent me on a few guilt trips >_>...

I'm not too familiar withmusic from the Philippines. I only know a few metal bands which I enjoy. Deiphago (black/death metal), Korihor (black metal) and Maniak (black/thrash metal) are the bands I'm into. Not the most popular genres on a forum like this.

Hey DanSar48, I'm also half-Filipino :D

Glad you found some stuff you enjoyed in this thread!  Definitely check out the Vandals on the Wall site and I'm sure you'll find even more stuff to your liking!  And thanks for linking Freddie Aguilar.  The name sounded familiar, but I'd never heard anything by him.  The song you linked is awesome!

Bear, I don't have much to offer metal-wise, but I do recall my brother coming across a Filipino "slam death" band at one point. I remember this only because the phrase "slam death" is so funny to me, haha.  I wonder what the band's name was though...

I don't know if it's Filipino music week or what, but quite a few of my faves (most of them already mentioned here) dropped new videos this week!

June Marieezy - Fly

(Virgo EP is available on Spotify/Bandcamp)

Spazzkid - Lovers (played live on sushi, chicken nugget, and cat synths)

(Promise EP is available on Spotify/Bandcamp)

Honeydrop - The Place

(Prelude album is avaiable on Spotify/Bandcamp)

Loop - Runaway

(Flirting With The Universe album is available on Spotify/Bandcamp)

Aaaand, another addition to the thread:

Rusty Machines
rustymachines_zps7c7d343f.jpg
Their City Lights EP is guaranteed to make an appearance on my end-of-the-year list. Perfectly crafted summer-tastic indie rock.
Soundcloud: https://rustymachines.bandcamp.com/track/forget-you

Time for another post!

First, two important video updates from artists already introduced:

Kaapin - Melusina
Regardless of what you think of the music, the video is worth a watch. Trippy animation!

Spazzkid - Truly
I've shared this video on plug and on my EOTY list. This purikura-inspired video is all about fun and matches the bouncier approach to the music on his most recent Promise EP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now for some recent English-language discoveries!

No Rome
NoRome_zps263de52c.png
Jittery samples and autotuned vocals with the perfect amount of pop-punk whininess. Somehow, I find myself really enjoying this!

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ylgrome/heaven

Bubble Based Boy
BubbleBasedBoy_zps299595ab.png
Nerd pop. This guy sings catchy tunes with awesome vocal harmonies about topics like psychology and Google Glass.
Bandcamp: https://bubblebasedboy.bandcamp.com/track/thoughts-are-for-the-conscious-mind

Farewell Fair Weather
Farewell-Fair-Weather_zps49afaa3f.jpg

Easy listening pop-jazz with sweet female vox by Mic Manalo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YL09g5IGQQ
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/farewellfairweather/what-lies-behind

Akira Medina
AkiraMedina_zpsfc075772.png
Can't say I know much about this guy, but his instrumental/electronic song and visually stunning video immediately grabbed my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-R0wdlCAP4

Three.!
Three_zps189f2dde.jpg
Simple and dreamy, but not in the standard shoegazey/dream pop sense. Much more understated.
Bandcamp: https://threemusic.bandcamp.com/track/eye

Sud

Sud1_zpscfdbf7f5.jpg
There's a surprising warmth to these guys. A sexy, saxy ballad.

Another update (next time, with only Filipino-language artists) to follow in the next few days!

Here are some of my favs .

Chicosci - Raspberry Girl 

This is a band that started aggressive as Nu-Metal/Rapcore and came a long way into alternative rock/post-hardcore/indie rock territory , is this a bad change? By far not . Freakin love this song .

Urbandub , i dont think there are any pinoy music fans who dont know this band .

Franco is a superband centered around singer , songwritter and guitarist Franco Reyes .

and here are two more a little more heavier 

Oh? Here's some Filipino band that I know. It's not the lastest and newest artist.

Sorry for not using spoiler <>, I'm using mobile phone. I'll fix it.

Wolfgang is hard rock to heavy metal. As I remember them since I was kid.

Typecast is most lastest band I know before leaving, they play hard rock to pop rock too.

Ahh, speaking of indie and folk music. I present KADANGYAN. I don't if they are still active after loosing one member (RIP). Their music is modern rock infuse with tribal instruments. Sometimes they used chants.

(Preview of their lastest album).

I'll post more next time.

Sign in to follow this