1. 1. Which band is better?

• 赤ã?å?¬å?? (akai koen)
    • tricot

赤い公園 (akai koen)

akai_zpsf32a2cf8.png

VS.

tricot

1292960_606310162725716_1618196102_o_zps

Ok, the battle is on! Japanese indie fans should be familiar with these 2 almost completely female oriented bands (tricot has a male drummer). Both bands are fairly new and appeared on the scene within the past few and both have released their first full albums this year after a string of EPs. Which band do you think is better AND WHY?

In terms of quality, I think both bands are neck to neck. Both bands are fairly talented, but I don't think either has quite fulfilled their potential on record yet. I like the fact that tricot plays math-rock (not many females do math lol), but akai koen definitely has an edge up in terms of song-writing and creativity. If tricot would focus on writing more memorable songs and hone their actual song-writing abilities, I think they'd come out on top, but as of now, I'm gonna go with akai koen!

I voted for Akai Ko-en because I enjoy their songs a lot more and tricot still has a lot of room for improvement.

But damn did tricot's album shit all over AK's album. Akai Debut was a such a disappointment; all three of the previously released tracks on the album felt like filler, the new songs (apart from Counter) were mediocre, and the album was too short. T H E isn't substantially amazing either, but tricot really showed them how it's done. I don't understand where all of the creativity that AK had in their two EPs of last year went?

Honestly, I wasn't very impressed with either full length. I probably really enjoyed about 1-2 songs from each, but I remember tricot's being really samey.

Kind of a sidenote, but what in the world happened to tricot's production? The production on their very first ep was legit, and it hasn't been the same since then. I guess that could be part of my issue with them as well.

Miasma, yeah, I agree with your point about akai koen. They seem to have turned poppy very quickly...

Ugh I was in love with both bands but 赤い公園 after のぞき穴 and tricot after 小学生と宇宙人 really hurt my heart. Even more so on Ko-en's part though because the single and the debut album are really really really really basic and Toumei is one of my favorite mini albums. Riding on the goodwill of Toumei I will vote for them though. 

Sign in to follow this