Sign in to follow this  
RpgRiser

Girugamesh - INCOMPLETE

God I was SO waiting for this single *_*

Here we go!

1. INCOMPLETE

My favorite of the 3 tracks,it's like a mix of the old and new Girugamesh + electro/dubstep elements. Really awesome!

8/10

2. Limit Break

Hmm,they seem to try mixing a bit of metalcore in here.Pretty good,but the "EVERYBODY SAY!" gets kinda repetitive.

7/10

3. Takt

More metalcore here. This song is a bit "calmer",and it's not a bad thing,but it's also pretty repetitive like "Limit Break".

Conlusion:

Not a bad single! Girugamesh's new hybrid style is pretty awesome,but can still be improved.

The bad thing is that we don't hear Satoshi screaming anymore,and this kinda sucks :(

7.5/10

girugamesh has now been redeemed.

It's easy to just say anything released after MUSIC was their downfall with their mainstream pop singles like Alive, Border, Crying Rain, etc.

I kind of just forgot about them but this.. this single is nothing like their "make pop songs, get famous" eras.

It's as if they found a nice medium between catchy pop choruses and mixing their trademark rock sound from their earlier releases.

INCOMPLETE, the title track off this single, is a great introduction to their new "comeback" era that they have been promoting for months on in. It's catchy and really let's every member shine - from the rough bass, the guitar work and of course Satoshi's dreamy voice. They implement newer EDM sounds that really do work well considering girugamesh was one of the earlier bands to master the mix of J-rock and electronics (unlike a few bands we won't name).

Limit Break is what you'd expect - just a simple filler B-track but it's not band at all. It might be a little heavier than INCOMPLETE. Along with the title track, the song has a catchy chorus and some great vocal work. 1:58-2:11 has some amazing guitar work here along with the last few moments of the song.

takt, however, is a weird song. It doesn't know what it wants to be. The introduction makes you think it's going to be a ballad you would immediately just skip. However the heavy guitar work and generic bass wobbles kind of makes you want to keep listening. The piano incorporated with the song is a nice touch.

All in all, this is an interesting release for them. It pretty much touches base with, i'm assuming, everything the album is going to end up like. In fact, this could be a teaser for fans. It has the single, the b-side and the ballad. While it's nothing truly groundbreaking - it is nice to see girugamesh back  in action as it's been too long and I am excited to see what is next for them.

I give the single a really low 4 out of 5 only because I really did enjoy every track on here and I didn't skip which is really rare for me.

Yeah I found this release a lot more tolerable then when they go full pop-rock. It's definitely not old girugamesh, and I wouldn't call what they're doing metalcore either, but they're basically mashing up some heavy guitar playing, occasional double bass with your typical pop-rock chorus and some dubstep inspired passages. Everything actually sounds decent and not disjointed like when other bands attempt to do the electronic/rock thing.

I actually could have done without the poppy choruses in Incomplete and limit breaker. They're a bit to happy sounding for my taste, but the actual music is good. Satoshi probably is not going to do screams, but If he did, or had on these songs, they could have sounded a lot better and rounded off that upbeat chorus better IMO.

Takt is actually my favorite track. The electronic tinged mid tempo verses with double bass and the guitar chugging sound like it could be off Music and the chorus like from Reason Of Crying or like a chorus the band would do before they went downhill. They need more tracks like this.

It's not old giru, but it's a lot better then what they had been putting out.

Checking out the album when it comes out. 

6.5/10

I'm very tolerant of bands changing their sounds over time (Carcass anyone) but when they take not one but multiple elements I just don't like and never have liked (in this instance the ever omniscient dubstep and post-hardcore) and cram it together I'm just not going to do it, no matter how well executed it is. I can handle one like on the title track. I can't handle both. It stops being influence and instead becomes an aesthetic. I liked COLOR more than this trendy material. If these b-sides are indicative of the album I'm going to have to call it quits on this band like I called it quits on nearly every other VK band who decided to abuse the elements I don't want to listen to which is, hang on, nearly all of them.

I'm sure it's very good trendy dubwobslammoshcore but no fucking thank you.

i found the single "stylish" but then again,

it sounded much more "shallow" and "lighter" than 'now' or of course 'girugamesh'

i think this single fits into 'go' album (with less the electro fx) -

'go' album was 'ok' with good choruses but since i REALLY loved "now" album ...

(its ok that satoshi doesnt scream anymore but he does push the mellow vocals too much these days)

but all in all, 

not like a "come back" or "redemption" but i would say "safe" - good music

1. incomplete : 3/5

2. limit break : 2/5

3. takt : 4/5

I agree with plantanity; I don't really get how this is some sort of come back for giru. It sounds like something off Now but a tiny bit heavier. The first two tracks are forgettable but takt is pretty good.

On a side note, just listened to Music for the first time in ages today and it's actually a fantastic album.

This isn't a "COMEBACK". This isn't some SECOND COMING. Don't let the 7 string chugging riffs and pseudo breakdowns fool you, this is just as poppy and commercial as all of their recent releases --- it just so happens to be dressed up to appear differently.

INCOMPLETE starts off with a trend building in Japan, one that's been beaten to death in the States: hardcore chugging mixed with breaks of dubstep bass and various electronic highs to give you the feeling that what is transpiring is somehow "epic". Really awesome guitar work; but even that sounds like a more fleshed out version of the loops in Bangarang by Skrillex.

LIMIT BREAK fuses the sound of INCOMPLETE with ROACH (Satoshi recorded with them in the past) as the anthemic chorus leads into a breakdown that would make their influences proud. Again everything is technically GOOD; but there's not much to say.

Same as INCOMPLETE but leaning more towards the ballad route with the chugging intro feeding into a soft piano verse, wash, rise, and repeat. The transition to the bridge was enjoyable though as it provided something different; but that only lasted 20 seconds or so until we're back to the chorus. The intro is repeated to close the track out, and that's all she wrote.

What I really liked about this single was that it had a persistent sound that was carried through each track. Though gimmicky in the face of the latest trend, it provided an enjoyable listening experience because everything went together. The tracks were not ridiculously different to break continuity, instead they felt like they flowed into each other.

The downside is that this is the same effort put out by the band with different instruments. Everything that has been making up Girugamesh's recent releases is all right here: pseudo heavy riffs accompanied by electronic sounds. Pair that with the almost over the top catchy chorus found in each song and you're left with something that feels different; but that's by taking it at face value.

4.5/10

I do really like the new release, however I have to slightly agree with relentless, 
I don't think the guitar riffs are particularly strong on their own, no. But sometimes simple things make great sounding things when combined with other simple things.

While i will acknowledge there are elements in this release that are just repeats, or basic guitar work, but I don't think that makes it a bad release.

If everything was technical guitar work i'd probably shoot myself.

7/10

Sign in to follow this