fitear1590

US dollar reaches 4 1/2 year high against yen

Looks like the US dollar is finally getting the upperhand on the yen.  The dollar reaches its highest value in 4 and a half years compared to the yen.

A few months back, the dollar was really sucking, making importing CDs especially painful.  I remember it being as low as 78 yen to 1 dollar at one point (maybe 6 months ago?).  Then in January, I noticed a sharp rise in the value of the dollar.  According to a post I made on January 2, it went up to 87 yen.  NOW in May, it's about 102 yen to 1 dollar.
That means you're getting over 20% more bang for your buck (or yen), when you're importing CDs, compared to just a few months ago!

The Euro also reached a 3 year high against the yen recently.

How are other currencies doing against the yen?

SOURCE: http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2013-05-13/news/39228846_1_yen-currency-intervention-aggressive-monetary-easing-programme

I am very happy about this! I have been watching the USDJPY since last December when it hit about ¥80 and everyone started predicting Yen weakness. I remember last June when a full-length album from CDJapan would cost anywhere between $50~80. I know at one point last year (or 2011), it reached about ¥74.90 or something.