Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Zess' Tier 1 Album Picks of 2012

Here's the last list!

The end of 2012 is drawing near and it's time for me to put together my list of things I liked from this year. Turns out that I liked a whole lot! Since I don't want to leave anything out, I'm going to change my format from the middle of this year. More music, less words. That way, no one feels overwhelmed with how much I found.

I'm also going to break it up into four parts, with this one being the second. This list encompasses what I call Tier 1 releases: these are things I rated between a 4.5 and a 5.

I'll also follow it up with a (very) short blurb of what it sounds like, to give you an idea of what to expect. Looking for something new? Looking for something like something else? Just looking? Don't worry, the Zess has your back.

Note: This list only encompasses albums and mini-albums.

Zess' Top Album Picks of 2012

Lindsey Stirling - Lindsey Stirling

aHjpOzsQ9YI

Sounds like: dubstep violin, classical crossover

A Zess Note: This is the closest America's getting to a bard. She dances, she violins, she composes, she's cute as a button.

Agalloch - Faustian Echoes

rIF0d4PLsjY

Sounds like: black metal with folk elements

A (Anonymous Confederate Ensemble) - Tales For The Abyss

IAKIwxssoXI

Sounds like: pretty straightforward rock

Thousand Leaves - EARLY DAYS OF SORROW

Tdpd3V0PJsI

Sounds like: balls to the wall melodeath

Les Discrets - Ariettes Oubliées

A4zGv79nL2w

Sounds like: post rock

A Zess Note: La Traversée is simply crushing in it's beauty.

El-P - Cancer 4 Cure

OZptOs8Gu9k

Sounds like:underground abstract hip-hop

A Zess Note: Even people that typically don't like hip-hop can dig El-P. Don't snub it just because it's from a genre notorious for high amounts of ignorance.

God Seed - I Begin

DbtrKMiKUuw

Sounds like: *more* black metal

Martyrdöd - Paranoia

WxDFHxGX_lc

Sounds like: blackened crust, d-beat

The Secret - Agnus Dei

aeOy651hK6Q

Sounds like: blackened crust, hardcore

Like always, feel free to leave feedback!

Another list full of new music for me. I've only heard Thousand leaves so far and it was great. Sai put a track by Lindsey Stirling on a mix for me, but I haven't checked out anymore of her work yet. And I still need to listen to "Cancer 4 cure"...the YT vid you linked sounds dope.

I listened to A's 40 minute single, but somehow completely neglected their album lol XD

These others sound interesting too...especially Martyrdöd and the secret...I guess i'm partial to hardcore XD

Sign in to follow this