Sign in to follow this  
Aion

Aion's top 10 of 2012!

The year is drawing to an end and thus a great time on reviewing on what albums I enjoyed most over the last 12 months. I guess I could a big introductionary post, but why bother, as most of you probably only scroll down the list, so without further ado, my top 10! (well, not exactly, thetop 3 is a top 3, the others are releases I couldn't not give a number =).

1. くすぐる – くすぐるのアルバム

ImageImage

The female half of kusuguru has been on my toplist since the summer of 2010. Akiko Ando's sweet voice is just perfect for her acoustic music and thus she became easily one of the better folk-artists in my opinion. I was kinda surprised when I found out, late 2011, she teamed up with Ijiri Akira of Virgin Fish to form kusuguru. This however turned out great, as the both of them have found a sound that is more mellow and easy-going than Akiko's solo-works. A true gem!

fUefKufcCmE

2. ROTH BART BARON - 化け物山と合唱団

ImageImage

It was around early 2010 I discovered ROTH BART BARON by accident while browsing youtube. An awesome live-version of 天使の輪っか convinced me to get their self-titled debut, which I've listened to A LOT in the last 2.5 years. And then it became quiet, untill a few months ago they released a small demo-single (Chocolate Demo) which was also very good. Then, a week ago, they released 化け物山と合唱団, and man, I was hooked immediatly. Especially Campfire (see above) is such a masterpiece with all those instruments. Despite it just being a few days old, it gets a solid second place for me!

gj3J7seC7qQ

3. 柴田聡子 - しばたさとこ島

ImageImage

And on place three even more folk. This spot is reserved for the debut-album by Shibata Satoko. In 2011 she already released two demo-albums, and most of those songs have made it in a slightly different version on her album. Instead of Akiko Ando, which has a more traditional voice, Shibata Satoko has a more playful edge in her voice, giving it a slightly more pop-feel to it.

Vg2woE3wgjg

なんだかやれそう – たからじま

ImageImage

Something completely different than the previous, I want to mention SIAMESE CATS latest album amongst my top albums. Their quirky, playful music has grabbed my attention for a little more than a year ago I guess. They already had some demo-albums out by then, but their debut single and it's follow up made me anxious for more. And now it is here, released early december, this release features even on of those 1.5 year old singles on it, but also has some other great tracks. Not for everybody, but when you accepted the vocalists strange voice, it has some pretty awesome tracks on it.

cIlCy0Hlmjo

きのこ帝国 – 渦になる

ImageImage

One of the bands I completely fell in love with while I was in Japan in March was Kinoko Teikoku. They have a shoegaze-like sound that enchants you when you hear them for the first time (or at least it did for me). Before seeing them live, I already was curious how the vocalist would sound, and her voice was so much different from her looks, or better said, she has a pretty deep sound for such a little girl. This in combination with some really cool guitarriffs and effects makes this one of my favourite albums of 2012.

hehWmivkQpM

夢見てる – おばけの唄

ImageImage

Sometimes you come across a band that already has a pretty cool sound, though you notice it misses something. A year ago, I acquired a demo by Yume Miteru, and it really sounded good, though it missed some finishing touches. A year later, they released their first real album, and somehow managed to improve enormously. This album has a better recording, and they've added a new guitarist, which allows the vocalist to completely focus on his singing,and all for the better. A band to keep an eye on, because I can see them getting major the near future.

hvkRuJl6FEM

福原希己江 - おいしいうた

ImageImage

Back to some folk with Fukuhara Kimie. Actually this is a 2011-release, but being released on December 28, 2011, I think I can include it ot this list. I discovered Fukuhara Kimie around the same time I did Akiko Ando, and both are great yet so different at the same time. Fukuhara's voice is much cleaner, and perfectly fits with her style of slowpaced guitar-playing. This is her first album after releasing some demo's, and actually I was kinda surprised it being advertised so much in Tokyo Tower in Shibuya when I was there as it was also over 2 months old at the time.

S9ciMKu9q68

How to count one to ten – Blue Building Blocks

ImageImage

What's a list without adding some post-rock. There were multiple post-rock acts with releases this year, but how to count one to tent was the one that really stood out if you'd ask me. I might describe them best as a more guitar-based toe, having three guitar-players in their line-up. This threesome also gives a real cool atmoshpere when playing in sync hitting the same note at the same time.

OMFV5KvdaPc

洞 – 発見

ImageImage

SHIBATA (or HOLA as he now calls himself) has a very unique approach on pop. Don't exactly know in which genre this would fit best. It's ambient, it's poppy, it has some electronic elements in it, but overall, it really is a great release.

XVJMVM5FVNk

Idiot POP – EXWORLD

ImageImage

I want to finish my top 10 with some club/electronica by Idiot POP. This artist has a pretty cool approach on using samples in his works. Without doubt the best electronic album released this year in my book.

tGlKac8RVS4

Well, there you have it. Agree/disagree? I know my taste isn't the most common here, but please, try these artists, you might even like some ofthem =) I only included Japanese releases on this list, cause otherwise Alt-J would've destroyed the complete toplist =)

Man, this list makes me think I should delve more into the japanese folk scene, but I already have such a humongous backlog ~_~

Oh man, nice choices! Lots of Indie/folk stuff on your list. I think most of these releases were enjoyable and definitely second your choice of Roth Bart Baron!

Man, this list makes me think I should delve more into the japanese folk scene, but I already have such a humongous backlog ~_~

Just try it, I order you to! xD

This is just the tip of the iceberg of folk'y stuff.

Cat5 probably is more advanced in that genre. I just keep going with the same names, and sometimes a new gem comes to that list. All are just personal discoveries without recommendations. And I guess that's why CAT5 might be better to recommend some stuff, as he gets more recommended to him I guess =)

Oh man, nice choices! Lots of Indie/folk stuff on your list. I think most of these releases were enjoyable and definitely second your choice of Roth Bart Baron!

Well, I'm an indie-head right =) Last couple of days again completely addicted to RBB's Campfire. It's so awesome .o.

Sign in to follow this