Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Zess' Tier 2 Album Picks of 2012

We're getting near the end now! This is when the real good stuff comes out!

The end of 2012 is drawing near and it's time for me to put together my list of things I liked from this year. Turns out that I liked a whole lot! Since I don't want to leave anything out, I'm going to change my format from the middle of this year. More music, less words. That way, no one feels overwhelmed with how much I found.

I'm also going to break it up into four parts, with this one being the second. This list encompasses what I call Tier 2 releases: these are things I rated between a 4 and a 4.4. Think of it like a pyramid. The base is the biggest and the tip is the smallest and everything gets smaller as you go up. So accordingly, higher tiers will have less releases. Makes sense, right?

I'll also follow it up with a (very) short blurb of what it sounds like, to give you an idea of what to expect. Looking for something new? Looking for something like something else? Just looking? Don't worry, the Zess has your back.

Note: This list only encompasses albums and mini-albums.

Zess' Tier 2 Album Picks of 2012

Meshuggah - Koloss

y9EusMuWTRY

Sounds like: djent but the riffs aren't as metallic and sterile as what's usually expected

9GOATS BLACK OUT - Calling

Ky1X41elsMs

Sounds like: melancholic alternative rock, 9GOATS style

Evoken - Atra Mors

qTYHcWKXN1M

Sounds like: funeral doom metal

Heretoir - Substanz

M2-X7xVj598

Sounds like: that trend of post-rock x black metal (emphasis on BM part) that's oh so popular in Europe these days done well

Dordeduh - Dar de Duh

JZ-hayqRDOc

Sounds like: the spiritual successor to OM by Negură Bunget

Mono - For My Parents

usHC-O1BPCM

Sounds like:traditional instrumental post-rock

Alcest - Les Voyages de l’Âme

xCwGMLncumM

Sounds like: Neige's brand of sparkly, twinkly feel-good black metal

Neurosis

Rezrvi-IEBU

Sounds like: post-metal, sludge metal

Amenra - Mass V

nOO8hzQvigA

Sounds like: Neurosis Jr.

SILENT DIFFERENCE - BELIAL

6ifbvt7bDCo

Sounds like: DIR EN GREY (WtD. era) x ALSDEAD X BORN

the god and death stars - tonight is the night

rb_AiG3EIrs

Sounds like: melancholic Nagoya-styled alternative rock

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Pinata

eYFU6SOrVuk

Sounds like: swing, jazz, death metal. yes. all of those in equal amounts.

Witch Mountain - Cauldron of the Wild

8ko4YwjB2wY

Sounds like: stoner metal

Feel free to leave any feedback here and look forward to Tier 1 coming in a few days! :3

I love this list!

I thought I was one of the few people to know about bands like Neurosis and Mono on this site.

I know this is random, but since I saw a couple doom metal bands on your lists, have you heard the new High on Fire album??

I have heard the new High on Fire album! Sadly, the vocals aren't something that I have grown accustomed to yet, so I didn't want to put it on my list as of now. I do think it will be a grower given time, so we'll see!

wow, this list is full of unknowns for me! I've only heard 9goats, the god and death stars, and Witch Mountain. Looks like I have a lot to explore for when I'm feelin' metally :D (yes, i just made that word up ;P)

Dude, feel free! I'm one person that you never have to ask to make mixes for...just throw stuff at me anytime you feel like!

Besides, I have a back-log of stuff to try, so a mix might help me better prioritize the tunes i'd like to check out! :D

Sign in to follow this