Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Zess' Tier 3 Album Picks of 2012

It's becoming somewhat of a tradition for me to do this.

The end of 2012 is drawing near and it's time for me to put together my list of things I liked from this year. Turns out that I liked a whole lot! Since I don't want to leave anything out, I'm going to change my format from the middle of this year. More music, less words. That way, no one feels overwhelmed with how much I found.

I'm also going to break it up into four parts, with this one being the second. This list encompasses what I call Tier 3 releases: these are things I rated between a 3.5 and a 3.9. Think of it like a pyramid. The base is the biggest and the tip is the smallest and everything gets smaller as you go up. So accordingly, higher tiers will have less releases. Makes sense, right?

I'll also follow it up with a (very) short blurb of what it sounds like, to give you an idea of what to expect. Looking for something new? Looking for something like something else? Just looking? Don't worry, the Zess has your back.

Note: This list only encompasses albums and mini-albums.

Zess' Tier 3 Album Picks of 2012

Epica - Requiem for the Indifferent

iJwVyeDcNw0

Sounds like: your standard European power metal with a hot vocalist and a growly dude

egoistic 4 leaves - aluva

fT2TxdxvEak

Sounds like: instrumental jazz with some post-rock elements

Lament. - TOTENTANZ

rv9IizTnLcs

Sounds like: vk-styled gothic metal

Alhambra - SIEGFRIED

Gx37g9jXCmA

Sounds like: power metal with female fronted vocals

S.S.H. - BLAST FROM THE PAST

jyaGImJx3ns

Sounds like: god tier guitar wankery with some liberal use of synth

mudy on the 昨晩 - Zyacalanda

bGYwMjsLnoo

Sounds like: instrumental indie rock

Fugenn & The White Elephants - Prays

kfR0Tt2Qsso

Sounds like: Electronic, IDM

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

6lIqNjC1RKU

Sounds like: underground rap & hip hop

東京事変 - color bars

PIRzYoWbxuE

Sounds like: jazz

JiLL-Decoy Association - Lovely

bq7-KpKWiY4

Sounds like: jazz pop, acoustic

女王蜂 - 蛇姫様

XNaB5nUd1Xk

Sounds like: crazy punk with a transgendered vocalist. seriously.

LIPHLICH - SOMETHING WICKED COMES HERE AGAINST YOU

-8bQx0X_25U

Sounds like: art rock, some world music elements

八十八ヶ所巡礼 - ○△□

3KdjPIRrYZs

Sounds like: punk infused indie rock

Sigh - In Somniphobia

ECtL35qZ-dE

Sounds like: avant-garde metal, black metal

Stolen Babies - Naught

uuOgCMyQRns

Sounds like: avant-garde metal, twisted carnival music

Feel free to leave any feedback here and look forward to Tier 3 coming in a few days! :3

Ok, so from this, I REALLY need to try LAMENT. You already know I love 88kasyo, and I can also vouch for mudy on the sakuban, fugenn, and killer mike. egoistic 4 leaves was a nice release, and I don't regret purchasing it, but a good amount of the album wasn't a memorable as i hoped it would be.

I was sad to Tokyo Jihen go, and although color bars wasn't their best, there are 2 or 3 tracks on it that will remain on my playlist.

Jill-decoy honestly disappointed me in 2012. They released 3 albums...everyone riddled with annoying Engrrrrish. I hope they return to the course they were on in 2010.

I also liked stolen babies, but not quite as much as the first!

Lament. is such an underrated up and coming VK band that it's not even funny. I totally agree that you should try them out.

Also, yes I agree about Jill-decoy. I ended up liking this small EP more than anything else, which is why this is the only one of the three releases you see here.

And after the awesomeness that was There Be Squabbles Ahead there was no way I was expecting Stolen Babies to top it but I do think they came really close. :3

Ya, the new stolen babies was good, but just not AS good as the previous one, but you gotta love them. They have a great sound

Sign in to follow this