Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Zess' Tier 4 Album Picks of 2012

It's becoming somewhat of a tradition for me to do this.

The end of 2012 is drawing near and it's time for me to put together my list of things I liked from this year. Turns out that I liked a whole lot! Since I don't want to leave anything out, I'm going to change my format from the middle of this year. More music, less words. That way, no one feels overwhelmed with how much I found.

I'm also going to break it up into four parts, with this one being the first. This list encompasses what I call Tier 4 releases: these are things I rated between a 3 and a 3.5 (for me, 2.5 is average, so anything above a 3 is considered 'good'). Think of it like a pyramid. The base is the biggest and the tip is the smallest and everything gets smaller as you go up. So accordingly, higher tiers will have less releases. Makes sense, right?

I'll also follow it up with a (very) short blurb of what it sounds like, to give you an idea of what to expect. Looking for something new? Looking for something like something else? Just looking? Don't worry, the Zess has your back.

Note: This list only encompasses albums and mini-albums.

Zess' Tier 4 Album Picks of 2012

GALEYD - EYE WILL...

JY9w08RbVJ0

Sounds like: DELUHI

Regnum Caelorum et Gehenna - Dimersity 01: Meus Vitualamen Exertus Muto Vestri Universitas

O8KG11V41qA

Sounds like: Melodic Death Metal, Stratiotes

UNDEAD CORPORATION - 紅染の鬼が哭く

EoijbQFwMPg

Sounds like: metalcore, some traditional Japanese influences

Wintersun - Time I

lsWxLQDzJOU

Sounds like: Extreme Majestic Technical Epic Melodic Metal

Dethklok - Dethalbum III

RXY9On_UW_M

Sounds like: Deth Metal

Cyclamen - Memories, Voices

QMIQXKkzJUg

Sounds like: Djent!! Djent!! (and some clean vocals here and there)

CROW'SCLAW - Lightning Discharge

jSJSar3y6Yg

Sounds like: Lolimetal, metalcore, heavy metal, good CROW'SCLAW

A Zess Note: This is so much better than Blackened Fangs and Bloody Claws. SO. MUCH. BETTER.

LITE - Past, Present, Future

BlWiRjIcjOk

Sounds like: post-rock, some math influences, mostly instrumental

Vermillion-D Alice Syndrome: 妍麗たる讃仰は悲啼喘ぎし蒼焔に炙られ

wQ1IrbuLcRQ

Sounds like: primarily gothic metal, some black metal influences

lynch. - INFERIORITY COMPLEX

Y-9OQcKlh6Y

Sounds like: metalcore

Noxious - The Remnants of a Chaos

2OMlespA49s

Sounds like: Gothenburg death metal

Ilaria Graziano & Francesco Forni - From Bedlam to Lenane

0FyiryxIVZQ

Sounds like: folk, some spanish influences

EA - METEO

cpXtnW7Ae1A

Sounds like: powerpop, some electronic influences

Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

kiALoVqzAVo

Sounds like: (traditional) metalcore, hardcore, noisecore

D - 名もなき森の夢語り

r6d4xE62nLE

Sounds like: power metal, neoclassical metal, shredfest, vibrato galore from Asagi

Feel free to leave any feedback here and look forward to Tier 3 coming in a few days! :3

I'm thinking about trying that Wintersun album (champ played a cool track from them on TT recently), Vermillion-D Alice Syndrome, and Converge.

I definitely second LITE. Ilaria Graziano & Francesco Forni was a nice release (how can you not love her voice?), but not even standout tracks to warrant a best-of spot for me.

You should definitely try it out! It's a difficult album to get into at first but it grows on you after multiple listens.

Ilaria Graziano & Francesco Forni was a nice release (how can you not love her voice?), but not even standout tracks to warrant a best-of spot for me.

Haha, at this point in the list they were all so close it felt wrong if I left one off because the number was slightly too low.

hehe, I feel you.

I also thought the D release was solid...which came as a surprise for me because I usually can't deal with Asagi and his theatrics, but I think he did well as a vocalist this time!

I'm surprised to see Dethklok on here. I knew about Dethalbum III, but I completely ignored it for no good reason haha. 

Sign in to follow this