Sign in to follow this  
fitear1590

Searching for German (language) music

Hey, I apparently posted this on the other forum after everything was copied over here, so I'm remaking it!

I'm a German student and I'm looking for more practice, so I thought listening to German music could help.

I already got one response from SUBLIMINAL on the other forum (thank you!) but basically what I'm looking for is musicians or bands:

-that are IN GERMAN (not looking for bands that are singing in English)

-that generally SING (don't need a lot of harsh vocals stuff. The point is I'm trying to understand what is being sung)

-is NOT Rammstein, Tokio Hotel, or any rap/hip hop

-is preferably but limited to the following genres: pop/rock, "indie rock," alternative, or any good classic pop (like Frank Sinatra type stuff, but in German of course)

And like I said, it's certainly not limited to those genres. I'm pretty open minded, so just recommend me some good ol' German language music!

(youtube links are good :mrgreen: )

Vielen Dank im Voraus!

My favourite german-language band are probably Die Ärzte. They are usually classified as punk or pop-punk, but they actually have quite a variety of styles. I'm usually hesistant to recommend them to non-speakers of german, because I think it's only half the fun if you can't understand the lyrics. Some of them are incredibly funny, while others are more serious.

I find it hard to select any specific songs for them, because they released so much stuff over the last 20 years or so.

Anyway, here are just some random examples:

Wie es geht:

1/2 Lovesong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJGbmx4VvQ

Deine Schuld:

You may also try "Feeling B" then, there were Rammstein members in that band but... it's a whole different thing, and they were quite amusing XD

One band that i can recommend is Lacrimosa, although they also sing in English, but mostly in German. Alleine Zu Zweit is my favorite song from them and if you want to start listen them i think that Elodia would be best album to start with.

My last post was lost at the former TW, but I'll repeat my recommendations for you because most of them are indie/pop/alternative rock.

EL*KE

LaFee

Juli

Silbermond

Virginia Jetzt!

Selig

And I second Lacrimosa.

I haven't retrieved YT links because I spent ages doing it in my reply to the last one and I'm too lazy now. 8(

Thanks guys!

My friend actually listens to Lacrimosa, so I've heard a few songs by them. They're good.

Subliminal, don't worry about the links here, I saw the old post before the switch. Thanks for your efforts, haha. I liked Virginia Jetzt! the best.

And Champ, I believe I've actually seen some older music videos by die Arzte before. Do they have some video where they are like fighting the Lara Croft (Tomb Raider) video game character or something?

okay die Ärzte was already said, so how about Die Toten Hosen?

They are also a well known punkrock band with german lyrics. they have only a few songs in English.

They are more serious as Die Ärzte and it's said both bands are rivals. I think they don't like each other that much but I don't think that they really hate each other.

There's a rumour that if you're a fan of die Ärzte you won't listen to die toten Hosen and the other way round but I love both bands and all people I know like both, too.

try out these songs:

Strom (2008):

Ich bin die Sehnsucht in dir (2004):

Paradies (1996):

Alles aus Liebe (1994):

Hier kommt Alex (1988):

I also can recommend WIZO, a german punk band.

but as Champ213 wrote in his post about Die Ärzte, this band has also some songs that might non-speakers of german not understand :/

If you are into Folk Rock, you should also try Subway To Sally, they are great songwriters and have a really unique vocalist.

For more experimental music i would recommend "A.ura und das Schneckenhaus" by Samsas Traum, which is really easy to get into compared to his other works, the level of the language is pretty high though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yTNQ0mUnHM

If only the lyrics matter, also try Stillste Stund, the music is just a way to transport their messages, but again, very high level of language.

I shouldn't answer a topic so old, but I was looking for German music since I'm also learning that language. So thank you!

And to add something to this topic, I will mention some of the recommendations that my German friend made me a few weeks ago, that weren't already mentioned.

- JBO

- L'Âme Immortelle

- Letzte Instanz

I really like Alligatoah lately. Very intelligent and clever lyrics, often provoking (criticism of social topics) but that's part of the concept. Here's his newest one;

Also 'Grossstadtgeflüster' - it's more on the 'feel good' and 'optimistic'-side (that particular track) - basically a 'Berlin-Track', but I like it.

For people who liked Die Toten Hosen some time back I'd suggest Adam Angst;

And looking at the previous mentioned bands - I'd also throw in something in the broader field of 'Gothic'...

Knorkator - it's kind of a 'fun-project' (taking most stuff not too serious lyrics-wise) but they have some good stuff in my opinion - I'd even say they are very underrated.

I'm a native german-speaker tho - so no clue how helpful my list is...

Typically I'd suggest way more 'intelligent german rap' but that's more for the pros I guess - because most of it works on a level where you have to grasp pretty sick grammar-jokes and word-play...

I am a German student too, Now i just heard some bands that some guys already say. 

But this i like and maybe you can like too :D

Bosse: I really like the lyrics and have easily understood in my opinion.

KRAFTKLUB : I love these guys

Tocotronic: indie rock

Joris

This is more current German music. Viel spaß

Sign in to follow this