Sign in to follow this  
Augie1995

THE KIDDIE- MA[STAR]PIECE album

Oh my god, what happened to these guys. When they released BRAVE NEW WORLD, there are still like 2-3 songs on there that I skipped because they bored me. This is just amazing! Nutty Nasty, Sun'z up, and Utsukushiki REDRUM are still pretty great but I will not review them.

MA[sTAR]PIECE- This song is very interesting cause it starts off with one of their usual upbeat, happy choruses that always get catchy for me. It suddenly gets into these more rock-ish dark (I guess) riffs that have me swaying my head around to (Probably my favorite parts of the song). The song maintains some changing paces to it, after the riffs, it gets to a slow, calm pace that builds up to the chorus and we get a guitar solo after which breaks into the riffs again with Yusa singing with an effect that is pleasurable. I don't really like the last bit where Yusa is just kind of singing "laaah laah lah laaaaaah" because his voice sounds, like if it were a guitar, out of tune. 9/10

mr.FIREBIRD- What the?! Guitar comes in clean, and then suddenly we get bass and guitar tapping that builds up fast, and then we have this great song. This song has a pretty nice beat, faster than MA[sTAR]PIECE, and the chorus is really nice. "I AM A FIREBIRD" xD

The guitar melodies layered throughout are amazing and right before the guitar solo we get that clean guitar once more really fast. Man, do they step it up with it. That guitar solo just keeps going strong, I want to see that live. So far, my favorite song! Perfect, nothing wrong with this song for me. 10/10

Akane Sasu Sora, Ochiru Kage- Seriously? What happened to them? I get the same feeling I've been getting throughout the whole album! The chorus the first time around kind of comes in a bit out of place, the tempo of the song just changed instantly for me. After the 2nd one, the guitars give us this melody that leaves me waiting for the next thing, BOOM. Guitar solo that starts off with tapping, then a nice sweep down the neck and the guitars come in with this aftertaste melody to bring us back to the rest of the song. LOVE THIS SONG!! 10/10

Raise no Megami- THE KIDDIE adding in some electronic sounds to this album. Nice intro and then we go into the first verse, some clean guitars backing it up. I gotta say Yusa's voice has barely faltered for me throughout this whole album except for the end of MA[sTAR]PIECE. The chorus is pretty fast-paced which is just THE KIDDIE's chorus style that I enjoy. They are not failing with the guitar solos either and I am a sucker for a guitar solo. We have this nice bassline that sort of shows off all throughout the rest of the song. I love this song, it's so upbeat and the electronic sound kind of gives it like a jazzy sound. That ending guitar sound was unexpected but lovely, nice ending. 10/10 (I am seriously loving these songs so much!)

Summer Dream- Nice clean melody to start, then we get this jungle theme that you hear throughout this song. I was jumping around the whole time, Pretty upbeat song. Not much jumped out at me from this song but nevertheless, it was a pretty nice song. Nothing disappointing has happened yet. 8/10

I'll do the rest later, I have to get some sleep right now xD

First off I have to say that I'm genuinely surprised with this album. THE KIDDIE's stuff has always been kind of hit and miss for me, since I found most of their songs to be boring or generic. Their major debut was no different and neither was BRAVE NEW WORLD, on which I only really liked 2 songs. It's not that the songs they make are bad, they are quite boring in my opinion. I was actually really surprised when they released Nutty Nasty and after that Utsukushiki REDRUM. Both were very solid and good singles with excellent tracks (Nutty Nasty having the best B-sides, but Utsukushiki REDRUM having the best A-side they've ever done), which actually made me excited for this album. The PV for the title track didn't do much for me in the beginning, but it definitely grew on me and I started to like it more and more.

After listening to the full album a few times I must honestly say that they didn't disappoint in what I was asking from them. My expectations were high, especially after Utsukushiki REDRUM. What I like about this album is its variety. The songs range from regular pop-rock to darker melodies and really cool summer songs. They've been throwing in some more random instrumentation in order to experiment, and it worked very well here. The first half in it's whole is better than the second half of the album, but unlike Matenrou Opera's Justice it isn't such a bad thing that it prevents you from listening to the entire album in one go. If you excuse the two or three slightly boring/generic tracks on here, it's a great album, which can go into my category of potential best of 2012.

Favourites: MA★PIECE, mr. FIREBIRD, 茜射ス空、落チル影, Nutty Nasty, Summer Dream, Destination, Utsukushiki REDRUM and the bonus track.

OK songs: Sun'z up, 来世の女神

A bit boring: ハッピーエンドが待っている, 二人のメモリーズ, stand by me

Overall: 8.5/10

Sign in to follow this