Sign in to follow this  
Maiku

UNiTE AIVIE

Pretty much agree with Maiku, although less :spin:

AIVIE is a nice song, though I didn't love it on first listen. Fortunately, it grew on me and now it's tied with "TORIKAGO like obligation" for favorite of the single. Composed by vocalist Yui, I think he improved over his last track "U -s m e h-," which was a tad messy and had some meh rapping parts. This song is a lot more balanced. At first, I thought the chorus was a bit overproduced (Yui's voice sounds especially "clear" during the first part), but now I just find it extremely catchy, haha. The second time the chorus plays, it has a different drum beat (for the first half), giving a new feel. The only part of the song I'm not too crazy about is the post-second chorus "repetitive riffs" section. Something better could have been there, but overall, this song is awesome and shows improvement in Yui's songwriting.

Next up is プレテンス, composed by drummer Yukimi. He's only written a few songs, but he seems to like incorporating some aspect of heaviness (save for the album track 答え無いコトバ) and this proves true here as well. The song opens up with a nice poppy keyboard section that then leads into some heavy, chuggy riffs. The transition isn't perfect, but the song soon returns to its lighter side and delivers a dramatic, beautiful chorus. Later, there's a short and sweet guitar solo. Thinking back to songs like Canzel's 永劫回帰エレメント, which was also one of those part-HEAVY! and part-really awesome poppy, I think Yukimi is definitely better at the lighter, poppier side (see: 答え無いコトバ on UNiTE's album for flawlessness). I'm convinced he can make the heavy side work and mesh a little better. Once again, another good track, with an excellent chorus.

Now for ハイスピードフェイスレスネス, composed by guitarist LiN. The song opens up abruptly with the song's chorus... That was something that kinda irked me during last year's singles (U -s m e h- and Middle Note), because it was done on a lot of the songs. Fortunately for this single, it's only on this song and the chorus is cool. LiN definitely brings a different perspective to the band, adding a slight funky edge sometimes. As Maiku said, the little piano parts underneath it all are great. Yui sounds just awesome on the pre-chorus part from about 1:09-1:20. The song is VERY speedy and sometimes I feel like Yukimi almost couldn't keep up! I'd be convinced though, if he could do the song live. There's a bit of a jarring heavy breakdown in this song, but like all things that I complain about at first with this band, even that's growing on me, haha. A cool, yet imperfect song that has the band trying out some new things.

Finally, 鳥籠好餌責務 -TORIKAGO like obligation- is by the lead composer and guitarist, Mio. This is like a sequel to 絶望クリエイター or 失踪インマイルーム, being one of those chuggy pop metal tracks. The title is really weird, but this song is quite awesome. Fortunately, it isn't marred by any tough rapping parts or anything. As Maiku said, the breakdown is extremely nice. Whenever I listen to this in my car, I headbang as much as possible, without seeming too goofy to pedestrians. The post breakdown part has some nice vocal work. Tied for favorite song of the single!

I feel like this single shows the band overcoming a lot of the things I didn't really enjoy in their singles last year (the rapping, songs lacking a good intro, etc). And overall, I just like these songs better! Perhaps the only complaint I have is that the heaviness, although satisfying and fun to listen to, sometimes comes off as slightly lazy (like in AIVIE) or a bit jarring (in ハイスピードフェイスレスネス and プレテンス). In 鳥籠好餌責務 -TORIKAGO like obligation-, where the whole song is heavy though, it works very well! For some reason, I'm sounding more critical of this single than I actually feel about it, because I really enjoy it! STARTiNG OVER'S is still my favorite release, but this is definitely my favorite single of theirs so far.

I'd give this an overall 8 or 8.5/10

I'm hoping the June single will be even better! :dansu:

Sign in to follow this