Sign in to follow this  
TheBistroButcher666

[Metal] Iced Earth

Iced+Earth+icedearth2011.png

Iced Earth is an American power metal band that combine heavy metal and speed metal/thrash metal genres in their music. The band was formed by Jon Schaffer, the lead songwriter and rhythm guitarist, in Tampa, Florida in 1984. The original name of the band was Purgatory but was then changed to Iced Earth.

Iced Earth’s music is often described as the style of Iron Maiden combined with 80’s thrash metal. The most distinctive element of the band’s sound is the stuttering right-hand gallop of rhythm guitarist Jon Schaffer, which sounds something like the ‘eighth-note, two-sixteenth-notes’ gallop made famous by Iron Maiden’s bass player/songwriter Steve Harris (in such songs as “Run to the Hills”, “The Trooper”, and “Caught Somewhere in Time”), varied rhythmically. Overtop of this gallop are typically laid strong melodic hooks, sometimes doubled by two guitars playing in harmony. The vocals are often high-pitched, but express a full range, while the rhythm section uses thrash and power metal techniques such as double-bass-drumming to keep the speed and energy high. Iced Earth’s drummer is known for his frequent use of drags and flams on the bass drum.

Today, Jon is the only original member in the band, having changed multiple guitarists, drummers, and vocalists. The two most recognized vocalists of the band are Matt Barlow and Tim Ripper Owens, the former vocalist of Judas Priest. Matt Barlow ended up marrying Jon’s sister, making Matt the brother-in-law of Jon Schaffer.

Iced Earth lyrics tend to deal with theological issues such as punishment and sin, destiny, heaven and hell, the Antichrist and the apocalypse. Many of the band’s recent albums have been concept albums written around a theme, e.g. the antihero Spawn (The Dark Saga), horror movies (Horror Show), historical wars (The Glorious Burden) and the double concept about the anti-christ (Something Wicked).

Current Band Members:

Jon Schaffer • Rhythm and Lead Guitars, Backing Vocals (1984-now)

Stu Block• Lead and Backing Vocals (2011-now)

Brent Smedley • Drums (2006-now)

Troy Seele • Lead Guitar (2007-now)

Freddie Vidales • Bass Guitar (2008-now)

LGzmXUCnxrE

Matt Barlow

jM4CDLmDx_Y

Time 'Ripper' Owens

zuwW9IVwZ0U

Stu Block

I recently started listening to Ripper era Iced Earth which rekindled my love for the band. It wasn't that I didn't listen to Ripper fronted Iced Earth because I was upset over Matt leaving, just had other music to occupy myself with. I think Tim gets a lot of unnecessary hate from people but I can understand a little bit, he's a totally different vocal style that many were use to hearing from Iced Earth and was probably hard for a lot of butthurt fans to accept.

I also recently purchased Dystopia and Stu is freaking awesome. God damn that guy is just cool as hell, great choice as the next vocalist of the band. He's like the bastard love child of Tim and Matt. I'm seeing them live next month so I am curious to see if they will play Matt era songs and how Stu will handle them, I think he'll do a great job though.

Sign in to follow this