Sign in to follow this  
Jenovalism

Jenovalism`s vocal covers (jeniva, deadman)

Here are some of my fairly recent vocal covers... well currently just 2 but i`ll add more after some time

deadman - Additional cause for sorrow: (deleted)

profile page: (deleted)

Please comment! all feedback is welcome, good&bad : D

Edited by Jenovalism

Just listened to your vocal covers and since I think the musician's corner and especially vocal covers don't get enough attention on the board I decided to give you some feedback ;D

First of all: I prefer the jeniva cover - the deadman cover isn't bad or anything, but it sometimes sounds like you don't have enough control over your voice. There's some of that in the other cover to (especially in the chorus), but you can definitely hear an improvement in the verses and apart from that I think you have a really nice voice and that's the most important thing imo. You can improve your technique but you can never change the tone of your voice ;)

Ah, and another note: You sound very "VK", do you try to sound like that in purpose or is it just your style of singing? And may I ask for how long you have been singing?

So yeah, looking forward to more :)

Kaleidoscope said:
Just listened to your vocal covers and since I think the musician's corner and especially vocal covers don't get enough attention on the board I decided to give you some feedback ;D

First of all: I prefer the jeniva cover - the deadman cover isn't bad or anything, but it sometimes sounds like you don't have enough control over your voice. There's some of that in the other cover to (especially in the chorus), but you can definitely hear an improvement in the verses and apart from that I think you have a really nice voice and that's the most important thing imo. You can improve your technique but you can never change the tone of your voice ;)

Ah, and another note: You sound very "VK", do you try to sound like that in purpose or is it just your style of singing? And may I ask for how long you have been singing?

So yeah, looking forward to more :)

: o Yea i do have problem controlling my voice especially when i try to reach higher registers... mm ive been singing for something like 2 and half years. My voice was absolutely terrible when i started, i was about 17 at the time... my girlfriend told me that i`m too old to start singing.. xD i didnt listen to her even tho she was a classically trained singer herself. I think my main problem is that i have still too short vocal range.. even tho it has substantially widened i`m still trying to get over my first vocal bridge (ive heard that the second one is easier after the first)... xD and about that vk thing, well it might be cuz during these few years ive only sang vk songs... For example i cant sing in finnish even tho its my main language (i think Finnish ppl have an advantage in learning to pronounce japanese tho cuz our language is pronounced lil bit similarly) ...but how about you, how long have you been singing?

and thanks alot for your feedback! : DD

Edited by Jenovalism

You're welcome :) Well, to me you sound like a bass or maybe a baritone so don't worry, it's only natural that the high notes are hard to sing. I'm a bass-baritone myself and it took me ages to reach the higher registers, but it is definitely possible - I'm sure you can get much higher than in your covers with your full voice, it's just a matter of technique. Maybe it's something with your breathing technique since that's essential to sing high and powerful notes. Imo it's definitely not too late for you to start with singing if that is what you really love to do, I started with 18 so you are not the only one ;) And as I said, you have a good voice so you should keep on going! I'd recommend a singing teacher though - I personally think there's a point it gets hard to improve your skills by yourself and that's actually pretty frustrating. Most vocal coaches can show you things you would never notice by yourself, so it's really a good thing to take some lessons and learn the basics.

I don't think it's a bad thing to have a VK-like style by the way, it's just important to gain some control over your voice (which many VK singers don't have :D) and make it sound good. A good example is Ryo of 9GOATS which you seem to like too ;)

I've been singing for a bit less than two years, I think I started somewhere in October 2009. I take singing lessons but in the beginning I sounded pretty crappy, that's only normal I guess :D And even today I'm often not happy with my singing oo I prefer to sing in Japanese too by the way (sounds weaboo, doesn't it? 8D), mostly because there are lots of vowels in that language which makes it easier to sing with vibrato ;)

About your other covers: I don't think you have to be ashamed of them, there are some nice parts in those songs too. Especially the 9GOATS one sounds sometimes good (are you comfortable singing their songs? I love to sing their stuff, it's nearly always within my range) and the Merry is alright too, only the end sounds a bit messed up :D Ah, and I think you have to work on your headvoice, sounds a bit insecure to me.

You're welcome :) Well, to me you sound like a bass or maybe a baritone so don't worry, it's only natural that the high notes are hard to sing. I'm a bass-baritone myself and it took me ages to reach the higher registers, but it is definitely possible - I'm sure you can get much higher than in your covers with your full voice, it's just a matter of technique. Maybe it's something with your breathing technique since that's essential to sing high and powerful notes. Imo it's definitely not too late for you to start with singing if that is what you really love to do, I started with 18 so you are not the only one ;) And as I said, you have a good voice so you should keep on going! I'd recommend a singing teacher though - I personally think there's a point it gets hard to improve your skills by yourself and that's actually pretty frustrating. Most vocal coaches can show you things you would never notice by yourself, so it's really a good thing to take some lessons and learn the basics.

I don't think it's a bad thing to have a VK-like style by the way, it's just important to gain some control over your voice (which many VK singers don't have :D) and make it sound good. A good example is Ryo of 9GOATS which you seem to like too ;)

I've been singing for a bit less than two years, I think I started somewhere in October 2009. I take singing lessons but in the beginning I sounded pretty crappy, that's only normal I guess :D And even today I'm often not happy with my singing oo I prefer to sing in Japanese too by the way (sounds weaboo, doesn't it? 8D), mostly because there are lots of vowels in that language which makes it easier to sing with vibrato ;)

About your other covers: I don't think you have to be ashamed of them, there are some nice parts in those songs too. Especially the 9GOATS one sounds sometimes good (are you comfortable singing their songs? I love to sing their stuff, it's nearly always within my range) and the Merry is alright too, only the end sounds a bit messed up :D Ah, and I think you have to work on your headvoice, sounds a bit insecure to me.

: D yea i think im gonna get a vocal coach soon (when i find one around here xD).. ive red about the importance of breathing and i think i know how its supposed to be done in theory but i dunno if i still do it wrong (i dont think about it much when i sing) ...: D yea i absolutely love to sing 9goats stuff.. maybe mostly cuz theres less problems with the range and ryo is such a great vocalist that its so inspiring to sing their stuff... ive been struggling to make a sink cover too but ive never been satisfied with the end result, and its such a special song that i want to do my best in it so well see if im able to do it sometime... ive been trying to practice from an audio course called singing success but i think having a coach and more consistent training schedule is the way to do it... so how much do you train in a week and what sort of stuff you go through with the coach if i may ask? : o

I completely agree that this section, especially for vocal cover doesn't get enough attention! So I'm going to do my reviews too whenever I see vocal covers come up. I listened to Jeniva first. I wish the sound quality were a little better. There's no way I could review you as well as Kaleidoscope but here's my feedback.

Jeniva: I like it, you have a lovely, deep, unique, and gorgeous voice! You're definitely a good singer, if you practice your voice more you will be perfect. I enjoyed this cover. I love how as the song progressed your voice started getting a bit higher in tone. But conclusively I really enjoyed your voice in this throughout the whole song, and it kind of sounded like an oldschool-VK voice to me.

deadman: I agree with everything Kaleidoscope said here. You have potential to sing this song great, but you could have controlled your voice a bit better at some parts, but it wasn't bad and you still had a gorgeous voice here, you just could have controlled it better, especially at the falsetto parts at the end. The sound quality could have also been a bit better too.

And do the sink cover please! I'm sure it will sound great. ^_^

I completely agree that this section, especially for vocal cover doesn't get enough attention! So I'm going to do my reviews too whenever I see vocal covers come up. I listened to Jeniva first. I wish the sound quality were a little better. There's no way I could review you as well as Kaleidoscope but here's my feedback.

Jeniva: I like it, you have a lovely, deep, unique, and gorgeous voice! You're definitely a good singer, if you practice your voice more you will be perfect. I enjoyed this cover. I love how as the song progressed your voice started getting a bit higher in tone. But conclusively I really enjoyed your voice in this throughout the whole song, and it kind of sounded like an oldschool-VK voice to me.

deadman: I agree with everything Kaleidoscope said here. You have potential to sing this song great, but you could have controlled your voice a bit better at some parts, but it wasn't bad and you still had a gorgeous voice here, you just could have controlled it better, especially at the falsetto parts at the end. The sound quality could have also been a bit better too.

yea, i wish there were more ppl doing reviews... but my humblest thanks for you for doing the review :D it srsly means a lot to me so thanks! ... xD btw i hope we get another karaoke contest sometime soon, there are quite a few interesting vocalists around here so it should be fun... and about the control thing, i totally agree and i`m doing a lot of work to improve and i think i`m gonna try to do the sink cover next so i hope u take some time to review it as well when it`s ready :D

yea, i wish there were more ppl doing reviews... but my humblest thanks for you for doing the review :D it srsly means a lot to me so thanks! ... xD btw i hope we get another karaoke contest sometime soon, there are quite a few interesting vocalists around here so it should be fun... and about the control thing, i totally agree and i`m doing a lot of work to improve and i think i`m gonna try to do the sink cover next so i hope u take some time to review it as well when it`s ready :D (oh and sry for the bad quality, i`ll try to get my hands on to some proper equipment for the next one)

@Jenovalism: I have my training once every week and me mostly do stuff to build up my voice, like making weird noises and singing the scale in different ways. Apart from that I have to sing some classical and pop music - at least with my recent vocal coach, with the one before I could choose my songs freely. We even did some Versailles and Gackt :D

I wouldn't recommend all those online singing tutorials though - I started with that too and compared to a real singing teacher it just doesn't really work because those people can't recognize your problems and therefore can't really help you to understand what you have to do.

And I definitely understand what you mean with the stuff you said about the sink cover - if you have a song you really want to do perfectly you are never completely satisfied with the end result and always find new flaws if you keep looking. I made that experience too (namely with Versailles' Serenade and 9GOATS' Heaven) ;D But well, you also find flaws because you keep getting better over the time, so just do it without thinking too much about people's opinion on the result - after all you can still rerecord the song later ;)

By the way, what did you think of my sink cover? It took me quite a while too, looking forward to hear your version :)

Ah, and I agree with Yasuhiro, your voice really has an Oldschool-VK touch. Would love to hear something from that direction from you!

yea, i wish there were more ppl doing reviews... but my humblest thanks for you for doing the review :D it srsly means a lot to me so thanks! ... xD btw i hope we get another karaoke contest sometime soon, there are quite a few interesting vocalists around here so it should be fun... and about the control thing, i totally agree and i`m doing a lot of work to improve and i think i`m gonna try to do the sink cover next so i hope u take some time to review it as well when it`s ready :D

I'm a vocalist myself, but still in my learning phase; so it's no surprise that I really enjoy listening to other people's voices. If you do a sink cover I will definitely give my honest feedback. Keep training your voice, you are definitely something special. :)

@Jenovalism: I have my training once every week and me mostly do stuff to build up my voice, like making weird noises and singing the scale in different ways. Apart from that I have to sing some classical and pop music - at least with my recent vocal coach, with the one before I could choose my songs freely. We even did some Versailles and Gackt :D

I wouldn't recommend all those online singing tutorials though - I started with that too and compared to a real singing teacher it just doesn't really work because those people can't recognize your problems and therefore can't really help you to understand what you have to do.

And I definitely understand what you mean with the stuff you said about the sink cover - if you have a song you really want to do perfectly you are never completely satisfied with the end result and always find new flaws if you keep looking. I made that experience too (namely with Versailles' Serenade and 9GOATS' Heaven) ;D But well, you also find flaws because you keep getting better over the time, so just do it without thinking too much about people's opinion on the result - after all you can still rerecord the song later ;)

By the way, what did you think of my sink cover? It took me quite a while too, looking forward to hear your version :)

Ah, and I agree with Yasuhiro, your voice really has an Oldschool-VK touch. Would love to hear something from that direction from you!

yep, online tutorials pretty much suck and are useless.. but well i kinda learned some good vocal warm ups from it tho xD. Ive done sink cover about like three times and posted it online but after a day or two ive always started thinking that damn i should delete this cuz it aint good enough xD (: o btw i didnt notice serenade or heaven covers in ur youtube account) ..ill review some of your recent covers soon.. xD oh and got any oldschool-vk song suggestions?

I'm a vocalist myself, but still in my learning phase; so it's no surprise that I really enjoy listening to other people's voices. If you do a sink cover I will definitely give my honest feedback. Keep training your voice, you are definitely something special. :)

:D wow thank you! : D i look forward to hearing your voice!

Sign in to follow this