Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

Enslaved

enslaved.jpg

Enslaved is a progressive viking black metal band formed in June 1991 in Sveio, Norway, and currently based out of Bergen, Norway

Grutle Kjellson – vocals, bass

Ivar Bjørnson – guitar

Arve "Ice Dale" Isdal – guitar

Cato Bekkevold – drums

Herbrand Larsen – keyboards, vocals

Though Enslaved began as a prototypical Norwegian black metal band, they always incorporated song structures unusual for the genre, with several of their early songs expanding past the ten-minute mark. The album Eld (1997) is often considered to be the beginning of the band's shift towards progressive metal. The band's shift toward progressive viking metal was rendered complete with Mardraum (2000), which contained several multi-part epics such as "Større enn tid - Tyngre enn natt" and "Entrance - Escape"; from that point onward, the band's influence from progressive rock became stronger on each successive record, with several tracks (most prominently, "As Fire Swept Clean the Earth" from Below the Lights) even using mellotron Mardraum, Monumension (2001), and Below the Lights (2003) can be regarded as having somewhat similar styles, although there is a clear progression of sound between the albums regardless; however, Isa (2004) and Ruun (2006) show a marked departure from previous sounds, most notably, with inclusion of sharp dynamic shifts. Axioma Ethica Odini(2010) was named album of the year by Best Heavy Metal CDs at About.com

Although the band has used mainly English lyrics since Monumension, their albums before that were mostly recorded in Norwegian except on their first full-length album, where three songs had Icelandic lyrics, while the lyrics on Heimdallr was an Old Norse excerpt from Gylfaginning by Snorri Sturluson. Most of their lyrics relate to Norse mythology.

Ethica Odini

Rcssy33l04Y

I don't listen to much Black metal but Axioma Ethica Odini was IMO best metal album of 2010. It was plain and simple - EPIC.

I love them. Obviously, since I'm totally untrve and ungrim, I don't care much for their really old stuff, but I love everything since Isa. I agree that Ethica Odini was one of the best metal albums os 2010, but personally I like RUUN just as much. You should give a try, if you haven't already.

I went out on a whim and bought Vertebrae, last year I think, it was pretty good. But I haven't really listened to anything other than that.

I really love everything they did from 93-03, but everything from 04 and up until now is nothing but garbage in my eyes, or ears if you want. I think they pulled off the Black (Viking) Metal really well, and the Progressive Black Metal era was really amazing. But as soon as they left the Black Metal behind and went towards a more Progressive Metal/Rock sound they totally lost me.

I'll rate them as well:

1. Eld

2. Hordanes Land

3. Blodhemn / Vikingligr Veldi

5. Mardraum: Beyond the Within

6. Monumension

7. Frost / Below the Lights

Grutle used to have one of the best harsh vocals I have ever heard, but he sounds so weak and powerless on everything after Isa. I have no idea what happened, but he just lacks everything that was so good about him on every other album. The vocals were also the only positive thing about Isa.

I also have the feeling they've lost it as a live band. Saw them back in 04 and it was nothing but epic, even the songs from Isa was good live because of their massive energy and stuff. Then I saw them live again in 09 and it was just bad and boring. No effort at all.

But something positive about todays Enslaved: Cato Bekkevold is a hilarious guy and seem like a really great guy from all the TV-clips I've seen of him (been on a lot of TV-shows about fishing where they're out fishing around the world with other celeb-fishers), and Grutle was really nice when I met him. Good mood, came with some lame, yet hilarious jokes and had some beer with us.

And Eslaved was never a so-called "trve" and/or "grim" band. Never.

I went out on a whim and bought Vertebrae, last year I think, it was pretty good. But I haven't really listened to anything other than that.

I liked Vertebrea, but from the 2004-2010 albums it was the one that impressed me the less. If I had to pick a fave (well, two, lol), RUUN and Ethica Odini are definetly the way to go. Either way, if you liked Vertebrae, there is really no reason why you should dislike the others.

RUUN was fucking beastly, so was their latest. I did enjoy Vertebrae but not even close to the amount of enjoyment I had whilst listening to RUUN.

I liked Vertebrea, but from the 2004-2010 albums it was the one that impressed me the less. If I had to pick a fave (well, two, lol), RUUN and Ethica Odini are definetly the way to go. Either way, if you liked Vertebrae, there is really no reason why you should dislike the others.

I just haven't got around to listening to their other stuff. Though I do think I have Ethica Odini on my computer, just haven't listened to it. Will get to it eventually though because they do seem like an interesting band.

Vertebrae is the only album of theirs which is fairly shitty. Everything before it + Axioma is great.

I loved Enslaved from the very start. Even in the Beginning of the Black Metal Scene in Norway, they were always something special and outstanding. Even today i like these old Tunes from the "Vikingligr Veldi" and "Frost" Albums, which really gave a good impression of the harsh Nature, combined with this Viking Metal Thing.

And i loved to see how they developed and grew up into something more mature. The progressive Elements got stronger from Album to Album and the unusual Chord Progressions in each Song transforms every new Release to something very interesting to hear. It never gets boring, because of the unpredictable songwriting.

The "Axioma Ethica Odini" Album is their best Effort so far. But all the other Albums are great too. You have to sacrifice some Time to get into each Album, though.

Wonderful Band!

Got Ruun off a friend and have listened to it a few times now, I think it is a very good album.

I'm always up for free music downloads. Particularly when bands actually released them that way.

Sleeping giants is pretty neat. I actually hadn't heard them sing in another language other than English so its kinda cool to hear that shift on this release. I also happen to be digging Heimvegen and Alu Misyrki at the moment.

I actually hadn't heard them sing in another language other than English

Then it is about time you check out their older releases, from when they A) where a Black/Viking Metal band without any of those "WE WANT TO BE LIKE PINK FLOYD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" shit going on and 2) made good music. Which means, everything up to and including Mardraum: Beyond the Within.

I'm always up for free music downloads. Particularly when bands actually released them that way.

Sleeping giants is pretty neat. I actually hadn't heard them sing in another language other than English so its kinda cool to hear that shift on this release. I also happen to be digging Heimvegen and Alu Misyrki at the moment.

Sleeping Gods and Alu Misyrki are my favourites too. Especially the folky atmosphere of Sleeping Gods, how could I resist that. :lol:

I've got a feeling this going to be one of the top metal releases of 2012. Can't wait to hear some more viking metal.

RIITIIR is due out in Europe on September 28th and in North America on October 9th.

Enslaved-Riitiir.jpg

The track listing for RIITIIR’s European and North American digi-pak is as follows:

01. Thoughts Like Hammers

02. Death In The Eyes Of Dawn

03. Veilburner

04. Roots Of The Mountain

05. Riitiir

06. Materal

07. Storm Of Memories

08. Forsaken

The track listing for RIITIIR’s 2 LP double-gatefold is as follows:

Side A:

01. Thoughts Like Hammers

02. Death In The Eyes Of Dawn

Side B:

01. Veilburner

02. Roots Of The Mountain

Side C:

01. Riitiir

02. Materal

Side D:

01. Storm Of Memories

02. Forsaken

New album's out. It's amazing. What does everyone else think about it? It seems like a good follow up to their last album. As a whole, I think it's actually better. I like the more frequent use of folk passages too. Favorite tracks have to be Thoughts Like Hammers, Death In The Eyes Of Dawn, Vielburner, Roots Of Mountains and Forsaken. Definitely in the top metal releases for 2012. They never disappoint.

ENSLAVED - Veilburner

YoMInT2Ysi0

Sign in to follow this