Sign in to follow this  
ShanethVarosa

Has a question

I would like to install 7zip on my computer, but when I try to download it from the website my antivirus keeps telling me the file has spyware or adware or whatever, so my question is how can i get 7zip without any viruses or anything... I need that to be able to extract .rar files with it

What site are you downloading 7zip from? If it's the official site, it's likely that the spyware/adware warning is a false positive. What type of anti-virus do yo have? Some are more likely to have false positives than others.

^ Don't do that.

If you're downloading the program from http://www.7-zip.org, the virus alert is an error, disregard it and install the program, it won't do anything bad or contain adware or anything. I guess the antivirus software is alarmed because 7zip wants to access the system files to integrate itself into Windows, but it's odd that it's not an acknowledged exception for the antivirus program.

You can extract .rar-files with other programs just fine too, btw. WinRAR is still a decent alternative.

Thanks DeIdeal, I know about WinRAR and other programs that can extract rar files, but I've used 7zip for at least 5 years and I like to stay loyal to programs I know work well from personal experience. And yes, it was the official site that I was downloading it from, so I thought it was weird... I have McAfee... I believe that's what it is.

EDIT

I downloaded and installed 7zip and it isn't working to extract any .rar files. I guess it's changed since the last time I downloaded... I literally don't know what to do at all.

Windows 7

I couldn't even figure out how to get as far as to extract something... It was totally and completely different than last time I used it like 2 weeks ago, but it's okay because I managed to figure out how WinRAR works, so I downloaded and installed that and it works great! Thanks for all your help!

Sign in to follow this