Sign in to follow this  
kawa35

Social perception : J-music listener

Trying to keep it short and simple here.  Most people who I consider mere acquaintances probably do not know I listen to Japanese music.  People I consider friends and close friends all know, and I've gotten a handfull of them into Japanese music to the point where they seek it out on their own. I've never really had anyone be a dick to me about my tastes in music, besides my best friend's older brother who when we were younger was a real musical snob (considers Led Zepplin/Pink Floyd the end all of music) and he was a downright asshole to us about it.  However as the years have gone on, even he listens to a bit of Japanese music now himself. (Stuff like Yoshida brothers etc.). I don't hide my musical tastes from those I consider a friend, but I don't tell those I consider associates anything about my musical taste (or much else about me really).

For me, it has always come down to knowing my audience.  I don't feel I have the typical look of a Japanese music/Anime/Metalhead as I had a career in the military for years that defined appropriate dress and grooming standards.  But usually, people with alt-style dress (dyed hair, piercings, tattoos, dark clothing) can usually be pegged as rock fans and are usually open to J-Rock and metal if you find the right artist.  Also, obvious anime fans are usually aware of VK and J-pop/rock and are easy to talk to about J-Music.

If the person I am talking music with is well traveled, plays an instrument, or has a seeming appreciation for instrumental music and pefers music quality and sound to lyrical content, then I usually go ahead and mention Japanese artists that I think they will like and see how they react.  People that listen to instrumental music are usually easy to bring into the Japanese music world as song stuctures and technical abilities of Japanese artists are different enough to Western acts to pique their interest.

Especially in the instance of VK artists, I always have people listen to songs without visuals first, since many people I know that listen to Rock in the U.S. are usually turned off by the more effeminate looks associated with VK.  If I can hook them with a few songs related to a particular artist, I usually have a good shot at integrating them into the VK scene.

It is hard to get people to like VK if they only listen to mainstream music and don't play instruments.  Usually, these type of people are radio-friendly push media type of people that just receive their daily programming to consume commercially viable, radio-ready music.

Sign in to follow this