Sign in to follow this  
MaikoMizu

Favorite Music Venue?

Maybe this already exists?...

Any-who, what's your favorite music venue and why? and this isn't limited to Japanese venues either. The venue can be active or shut down too.

Some notable Japanese music arenas/venues include:

Takadanobaba Area

SHIBUYA O (East, West, Nest, Crest)

Ikebukuro Black Hole

Zepp (Tokyo, Nagoya, Fukuoka, Sapporo, Diver City Tokyo, Osaka)

Shinjuku BLAZE

Shinjuku Loft

Shibuya C. C. Lemon Hall

I'll play! (though my fave venues at home will be very specific to where I live... they're probably not iconic to a broad audience)

Japan:

Takadanobaba AREA (I can't put a link cause I'm at work and their website is 'xxx records' haha) - easy to find from the train station, seems like people come out for shows there even though I wouldn't call the area around it very happening, the three tiered audience platforms make for good views from everywhere and make for more 'front row' spots, bar is not in the main hall so you could grab a drink without being in the way/subjected to some band you're trying to not watch

Virginia, USA:

The National (Richmond) - nice, old-school theater touches (marquee, ornate balcony, etc), pretty good sound, gently sloping upward towards the back floor (I'm big on venues providing good views apparently)

Jewish Mother (Virginia Beach) - I'm talking about the older one (both are shut down now), my favorite venue in my hometown when I was a teenager... capacity was probably only like 100 (nostalgia), delicious chicken salad, very close to the beach, D'espairs Ray played there on their US tour, good mix of 'popular' local bands and smaller regional/national touring bands

The Southern (Charlottesville) - bigger than you think inside, good variety (I've seen everything from bluegrass to the dude from The Melvins to noisy metal here), couches on a platform near the rear if you want to sit down but still see, lots of stone touches in the basement make it feel like a cave, like AREA has a bar outside the main hall so you can grab a drink in peace if you want

What are some of your favorites @MaikoMizu??

Edited by The Reverend

As far as musical venues go, for me, I've only been to a few but here's what I can go off of:

Midwest

Virginia Theatre (Champaign, IL): This is a rather small venue being able to hold roughly 1500 people and a-few musical but mainly theater acts were done there. A few of the local bands played here but it was mainly pop rock.

(http://thevirginia.org/)

Lincoln Hall (Chicago): I've only been to this venue twice but it's really nice, I must say. Pretty small too, roughly housing close to 500 I believe. This was around 2011 & 2013. Lots of folk and alternative bands.

(http://www.lh-st.com/)

Western 

The Strip: Now that I'm in Las Vegas, I've been able to expand my taste in music thanks to the famous/infamous "Las Vegas Strip". I've mainly been able to see cover bands here  and there but seeing a band perform live doesn't take away from not being able to go to a real concert. 

*Megadeth also played at the Hard Rock Hotel but my class schedule didn't allow me to go see them ;-;/ Joan Jett played in Vegas too, around May of this year*

If I ever do get a chance to visit Japan though, I'd like to go see a band that performs at Zepp Tokyo or Umeda Club Quattro.

Sign in to follow this