Sign in to follow this  
Shaolan974

Best new releases: October 2016

* Green Day - Revolution Radio

green-day-revolution.jpg

Green Day and it's really awesome.  

* Sum 41 - 13 Voices

13_Voices_album_artwork.png

Sum 41 is back too and their new album is really good. Catchy songs, catchy chorus. Back to my teenage years.

* LIPHLICH - 発明 (Hatsumei)

b.jpg

LIPHLICH is one of the more creative Visual band nowadays. As usual, their music is really cool, varied and there are many influences and different sonorities. This is not just...music. They have a real concept and they love what they do, for sure !

* Korn - The Serenity of Suffering

61Vi9Y+pdcL._SS500.jpg

Korn is back too ! After Green Day and Sum 41, Korn came back to their roots and it's really amazing. Just amazing. Give it a try, you will surely love it if you were a fan like me.

608689.jpg

Hail Spirit Noir - Mayhem in Blue

Psychedelic rock/progressive black metallers Hail Spirit Noir continues to blend psychedelick and progressive rock with progressive black metal, and they do it in a most unusual way, this time adding some carnival-esque elements to their music. You won't find a single band out there that sounds like these guys, and Mayhem in Blue is surprisingly a step up after the excellent Oi Magoi. Not quite as good as Pneuma though.

I Mean You Harm

The most straight-forward and easy-listening song on the album, but brilliant nonetheless.

a3884779023_5.jpg

Furia - Guido

Guido is Furia's 9's proper release, and their best one yet. It's experimental and far from straight-forward, but it's still fairly easy on the ear. Great release!

It should be said that the EP is recorded live 320 meters underground in the old coalmine "Guido" in Zabrze, Upper Silesia.

Urfaust-Empty-Space-Meditation-CD-PREORD

Urfaust - Empty Space Meditation

I haven't followed Urfaust too closely after the phenomenal Einsiedler as the following release Der freiwillige Bettler never caught my attention. But Empty Space Meditation sees Urfaust returning to form, and it's an excellent album. Reminds me a lot about Einsiedler, especially the use of synth, but without copying it. The vocals are better than ever before, and this might be Urfaust's best album so far.

Meditatum II

Listen to those clean vocals that kicks in about 3 min into the song. It's just too good!

gatecreeper-e1470162717416.jpg

Gatecreeper - Sonoran Depravation

Gatecreeper brings nothing new to the table, just good, ol' swedish death metal worship to the fullest. Think old Grave, Dismember and Entombed  and you're there. Good album, if far from excellent.

Craving Flesh

agatus.jpg

Agatus - The Eternalist

It's been no less than 14 years since Agatus released their last album, and with only two short EPs inbetween I was not quite sure what to expect here, but I expected black metal at least. But that's not what we got, no, because in the 14 years of silence Agatus have changed into a power metal band. But it's not usual power metal. It sounds like a Hellenic black metal band playing power metal, which is what it is. Sounds like epic USPM with a Hellenic twist.

The Oath (of Magic and Fire)

Cool picks, guys! Unfortunately I'm still in the process of digesting the many many potentially great releases that were released in October, but once I feel like I've listened to everything I wanted, I'll be sure to check back here with my picks.

Till then, all I can comment is HELL YEAH, that new Hail Spirit Noir album hits the spot! I'm not even through my first listen, but I already know this is one of my favorite things this year. I'm just here listening and grinning from ear to ear, it's so much fun. I gotta listen to these guys more frequently.

5 hours ago, Shaolan974 said:

Korn - The Serenity of Suffering

Yesterday finally got time to give this album a listen.  And man, it's soooooo good. Definitely the best release of October( well,at least for me :D )

47 minutes ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Till then, all I can comment is HELL YEAH, that new Hail Spirit Noir album hits the spot! I'm not even through my first listen, but I already know this is one of my favorite things this year. I'm just here listening and grinning from ear to ear, it's so much fun. I gotta listen to these guys more frequently.

Nice! Are you familiar with their two first albums? Both great, but the debut is an absolute masterpiece. It sounds a lot more laidback and amateurish, and the mix of genres doesn't sound as tied together and well thought out as on the two others. It's a bit all over the place, but that's half the fun of the album IMO, and it's what makes it superior to the two others.

But all three albums are great. 10/10, 8,5/10 and 9/10.

Sign in to follow this