Sign in to follow this  
Jigsaw9

Best new releases: June 2016

June was pretty much dry season for me all around: I haven't heard that many new releases, and what I've heard didn't impress me that much for the most part, however there were some exceptional gems hidden in there.

As usual, the rules are pretty simple: you can list what releases you thought were the best, and explain why in a few sentences. You can even pick just 1 album if that's all you've got, and try to keep it to a maximum of 5 items. Feel free to add or remove any albums later if you feel like your taste has changed, etc. Oh, and try to include a sample or two so that others could peep those sweet tunes more easily!

Let's see now~

i2oqa9.png

Denner/Shermann - Masters of Evil / I've always been a big fan of Mercyful Fate, so when I heard their ex-axemen are preparing a new project I was delighted. Their first EP, however, found me in a weird spot and just didn't click (I blamed the vocals at the time). Listening more closely tho, I was able to appreciate it, and welcomed the first full album of the dynamic duo with open arms. As expected, Masters of Evil is chock-full of menacing but catchy heavy metal riffs, memorable solos and rockin' hooks. There is a good deal of grandiose ferocity here that makes an awesome metal record. Strongly recommended for old-school enthusiasts, or just heavy metal fans in general!

nf0bd4.png
Nails - You Will Never Be One of Us / The grinding powerviolence masters are at it again, and deliver a new full-length that is easily among the most vicious and heaviest recorded material of the year so far. As usual, they're not fumbling about: 21 minutes with 10 songs, the closing track being 8 minutes long, and some of the most crushing stuff I've heard with a cool dose of sludge-y brutality. If you're ever in a bad mood, just pop in this album, close your eyes and let the anger flow (just try and don't break anything in the process). All in all, another killer release in the Nails catalogue!

ng6iz9.png
Swans - The Glowing Man / It's hard not to feel sentimental as the curtain closes on the current post-reunion incarnation of Swans, especially since they serve up a final gigantic double-disc 2-hour album. The Glowing Man sees Swans doing it a bit too comfortable and easy, basically giving us what we've come to expect over these past few years: huge sprawling post-rock jammathons that slowly mutate and rise to satisfying crescendos (if ever), all the while retaining a certain sinister groove. The second half of this beast might be a bit more memorable, but ultimately it's an awe-inspiring experience that must be listened to in one sitting. Can't wait to hear what the future holds for Mr. Gira!

Honorable mentions

Bat - Wings of Chains / Old-school black-thrash in a Venom-esque vein, perfect for this kind of kick-in-your-face sound.

Garbage - Strange Little Birds / Solid new offering from the gloomy alt-pop-rockers, they've still got that special touch!
水曜日のカンパネラ - UMA / New Suiyoubi no Campanella is moderately pleasing; some fun electro tunes in there for sure.

Edited by Jigsaw9

June seems to have been the month of quality electronic music for me, and as such all of my recommendations fall somewhere within that spectrum.

TtOJ3dU.jpg

Julien Mier - Shiny Silver Lining

Julien Mier's been on my radar for a while as one of the most interesting non-Japanese electronic musicians not to be on Ultimae Records. In fact I could easily imagine him fitting in with PROGRESSIVE FOrM's plethora of IDM prodigies. His latest effort is perhaps my favourite of his offerings to date and a strong contender for my favourite release of the year so far.

Listen on Bandcamp

Aman4Nv.jpg
M-KODA - WORKINGS

Speaking of PROGRESSIVE FOrM artists, M-KODA has been one of the label's most consistent assets for quite some time now. His latest effort is yet another solid outing that helps to prove why he's one of Japan's most proficient IDM producers. 

Sample song: contact

ovIOZoS.jpg

SCANN-TEC - Unyt

SCANN-TEC is an Ultimae Records guy, which for the uninitiated means that you can expect lots of quality ambient, atmospheric, and downtempo music from anything he releases. Despite not being as famous as some of his label-mates like Solar Fields or co-founder Aes Dana, Unyt proves that he belongs amongst the genre's elite.

Listen on Bandcamp

Edited by Pho

Palaye Royale - Boom Boom Roon

3e6450c88599a2d055705237ccb42e75.600x600

Palaye Royale is an art-alternative-rock'n'roll band. I really love their style. They have old influences. This is their first album and it's really great.

letlive - If I'm the Devil...

letlive.-If-Im-The-Devil-album-art.jpeg

Really good and energetic post-hardcore.

Garbage - Strange Little Birds

9k=26836.jpg

Like you said. Solid album. Their gloomy alternative pop-rock is good.

I See Stars - Treehouse

I%20SEE%20STARS%20-%20TREEHOUSE.jpg

New album from this metal-electronic-core. Powerful and melodic. Really like them.

Gojira - Magma

gojira.jpg?format=1000w

Solid album from this french metal band. I expected something...more but it's a solid release.

DADAROMA - スタンチク (Stanczyk)

84420160503130330.jpg

One of my favorite Visual band since last year. Solid first (best) album. I really like their style. Good songs and pretty good musicians. There are some killer tunes here and it's really great !

己龍 (Kiryu) - 百鬼夜行 (Hyakkiyakou)

20160622_afb948.jpg

9k=I didn't really like Kiryu since their excellent 朱花艶閃 (Shukan Ensen) (2012) but I'm really impressed with their new album. Better than their 暁歌水月 (Gyoukasuigetsu), their new songs are powerful and insane. They finally try new sounds and new influences. Very enjoyable.

Edited by Shaolan974

Sign in to follow this