Sign in to follow this  
desparejo86

BODY

Been listening to BODY the past few days and figured they could use a little love.

Cipher (D'erlanger) and Tetsu (Zi:Kill) formed BODY following Zi:Kill's breakup. Naoki Kimura landed the vacant vocalist position after being approached after a gig by Yasuyuki Saito, guitarist of Reaction, who had gone to work for Sony Records and was scouting a singer for Cipher and Tetsu's new project. Naoki was an amateur singer who had never even heard D'erlanger before, due to only listening to western bands at the time. Motoki Okada, another really green player, rounded out the lineup on bass (I've never found info on how he landed the gig, I'm guessing through Saito as well).

Despite having loads of talent and a some great songs, BODY didn't work out; they disbanded following one album and a series of shows at the Nippon Budokan. There have been many theories why they broke up, I've seen it suggested on Japanese sites that their debut album, Flame, was derided for poor sound quality and the albums shortcomings caused internal strife within the band. The album was remixed with some added keyboards and overdubs and re-released a year later, but it was too late, as Cipher and Tetsu had formed CRAZE and released their debut single by the time the remixed Flame hit the market.

-As stated above, Cipher and Tetsu found success in CRAZE following BODY's breakup, and are both currently in the reunited D'erlanger.

-Naoki dropped off the radar for a few years before resurfacing as the new singer for the his mentor Yasuyuki Saito's band, Reaction, with which he performed until Saito's death.

-Motoki and Naoki also formed THE LOVEROCK VIOLENT together with Kenji Shimizu, who was a BODY support member.

Disclaimer: I got 90% of this information from Naoki's old blog, so if anything posted here is untrue... Naoki be lying.

I don't think there will be any other replies, so might just well say that, even though they had some few cool songs (especially MY SELF, that one is killer!), it's the worst CIPHER and Tetsu project out there. STILL MY LOVE is a complete stinker and so is BABY, CRAZY and BELIEVE. 

The story about the problems with the mixing and the infighting rumours are probably true; the drums and guitar are mixed waaay too high, while the vocals on FLAME sound they were taken from a cheap demo! The FLAME REMIX corrects most of the problems with the mix, but there are others, like the songwriting quality, that can't be fixed easily. 

I do love the CRAZE version of I LOVE YOU. I think every CRAZE vocalist sang that one, but I love TUSK's version. They also played MY SELF quite a bit, especially during the first couple of years of CRAZE and later went back playing it when TUSK joined as well. 

Edited by r...
typos

48 minutes ago, r... said:

I don't think there will be any other replies, so might just well say that, even though they had some few cool songs (especially MY SELF, that one is killer!), it's the worst CIPHER and Tetsu project out there. STILL MY LOVE is a complete stinker and so is BABY, CRAZY and BELIEVE. 

The story about the problems with the mixing and the infighting rumours are probably true; the drums and guitar are mixed waaay too high, while the vocals on FLAME sound they were taken from a cheap demo! The FLAME REMIX corrects most of the problems with the mix, but there are others, like the songwriting quality, that can't be fixed easily. 

I do love the CRAZE version of I LOVE YOU. I think every CRAZE vocalist sang that one, but I love TUSK's version. They also played MY SELF quite a bit, especially during the first couple of years of CRAZE and later went back playing it when TUSK joined as well. 

Hurtful words, r!! STILL MY LOVE rules!!! One of my favorites!

Hold You Softly and Day Dream are also great. I don't know why but Craze never really did it for me.

31 minutes ago, desparejo86 said:

Hurtful words, r!! STILL MY LOVE rules!!! One of my favorites!

Hold You Softly and Day Dream are also great. I don't know why but Craze never really did it for me.

Try watching one of their DVDs, always incredible live. Tetsu beats the shit out of his kit every time.

Sign in to follow this