Sign in to follow this  
Jigsaw9

Best new releases: April 2016

May has started and you know what this means: time to look back on all the cool stuff that was released in April! What were some of your favorites? I think April was a pretty strong month (at least for me), some really nice and diverse musical gems popped up.

Again, here are the usual rules via @Bear

The concept is simple: pick 1-5 releases (albums, EPs, singles or compilations), write why you like the album/why people should check it out and be cool. As you hear new albums of the month feel free to quote yourself, remove one and add the newest one instead of it. At the end of the month I'll make a new thread for the previous month. That's all.

Rules:
Post 1-5 albums each
Add a linke to your favourite track of the album. Do NOT embed youtube videos. Just link to the best song. Not everyone have decent computers to handle all the videos.

And that is basically it. Ask if there's something you're curious about.

And so it goes~

6znbxi.jpg

Occult Burial - Hideous Obscure / I'm a newcomer to this band, and I'm bummed I didn't hear about them before! They deliver a perfect mixture of old-school '80s style evil and aggressive metal, somewhere between black and thrash. Sweet vocal delivery, catchy riffs and mean songs, all in all a kickass debut album that you can spin countless times.

ozssm.jpg

Rob Zombie - The Electric Warlock Acid Witch Satanic Orgy Celebration Dispenser / This album sure wins the "longest 'Zombie album title" award but definitely not the one for the longest runtime. I mean, I'm not a fan of drawn-out releases but come on... 31 minutes?! Some of these songs are just so awesome but they don't last long enough. On the bright side, you'll want to replay this album as soon as it's finished. Groovy stuff!

511xk5.jpg

Uada - Devoid of Light - All around awesome debut record from a surprisingly young band. High on atmosphere, the chilling black metal riffs and the awesome vocals will draw you in. At times heavy and riffin', other times quite epic, it's a pretty well-rounded album not afraid to showcase some cool melodies. Nothing fancy but really really fine.

Honorable mentions

Parquet Courts - Human Performance / Post-punk with a nostalgic indie/garage tint and many catchy tracks.
Tacocat - Lost Time / Melodic poppy punk rawk with amazing infectuous singalong moments.
Youth Code - Commitment to Complications / They've done it again: if you like your EBM heavy & raw, you came to the right place.

Edited by Jigsaw9

I didn't know Rob Zombie released a disc D: -I'll search for it right now-

About Occult burial, sounds interesting, I didn't listened to it before but, it's pretty much my style. So lets give it a chance. 

Anyway, all those are pretty interesting recomendations, really thanks for all them! 

I'll join in later this week. I actually have no less than 11 contenders this time, which feels weird as I've struggled to get to 3 releases in the past months.

Funny you'd mention Uada, Jiggy. I took notice of them some months ago because of their fantastic Kris Verwimp cover art, as well as cool band picture. I kinda get the feeling Verwimp has looked back at his classic 90's cover arts and found some sorely needed inspiration for that cover. As far as the music goes I've only spun it like 3-4 times, but it sounds very good. Kinda sounds like a mix of Dissection, Dawn, Mgla and Weakling or something in those lines. Looking forward to dig even deeper into the album.

Like I said in my previous post I actually havea lot of albums to choose from this time around, and I've actually had a hard time picking out three of them.

Ithaqua - The Black Mass Sabbath Pulse

Graveyard - ...for Thine Is the Darkness

Reptilian - Perennial Void Traverse

Woman Is the Earth - Torch of Our Final Night

Barbarian - Cult of the Empty Grave

Blizaro - Cornucopia della morte

Occult Burial - Hideous Obscure

Desaster - The Oath of an Iron Ritual

Moonsorrow - Jumalten aika

Wytch Hazel - Prelude

Uada - Devoid of Light

All the five bolded out deserve a spot on my list I think, so choosing only three is hard. I'll just pick three releases now, but tomorrow the list would've been different. It's that close.

Ithaqua-The-Black-Mass-Sabbath-Pulse-e14

Ithaqua - The Black Mass Sabbath Pulse

These Greek black metallers released a demo in 2015 that ended on my top 10 for the year, and their follow-up EP isn't any worse. Like their demo this sounds like a lost release from 1993, and I am not even joking. If someone claimd it was no one would raise an eyebrow. It sounds that authentic. This is Hellenic black metal like it was played by classic black metal bands like Rotting Christ, Varathron, Necromantia and Though Art Lord in the early-mid 90's. This is  short two-track EP clocking in at only 16 minutes, but it's 16 brilliant minutes. The riffing, drums, synth, vocals, production - everything sounds like anicient Hellenic black metal. True to its spirit and classic in sound. If you like older Greek black metal bands like Rotting Christ, Varathron, Necromantia, Though Art Lord, Kawir, Agatus, Zemial and so on, then this is for you.

Listen

Wytch-Hazel-Prelude-48967-1.jpg

Wytch Hazel - Prelude

Uplifting, christian hard rocking heavy metal. I find this band hard to describe, but I guess we could say they sounds a bit like Pagan Altar and Angel Witch meets Thin Lizzy and Uriah Heep meets Jethro Tull and Wishbone Ash. Catchy and uplifting as hell, and I think this is an album that will gets the job done in the light of day and warmth of the sun with a six pack in hand. Great vocals, fantastic leads and just superb riffing and atmosphere.

Listen

1461665581_1461635227_cover.jpg

Occult Burial - Hideous Obscure

After a few truly great demos and a split Occult Burial finally gives us their debut album, and what an album it is! Thrashing black metal in the vein of old Bathory, Sodom, NME, Tormentor, Sabbat, Mefisto, Vulcano, Poison, Treblinka, Sarcofago, Bulldozer and so on. In other words, this sounds like a proper first wave of black metal release. This could easily have been released in 1985-86, and if anyone claimed it was in fact a release from 1986 no-one would raise an eyebrow. It sounds that authentic. The rawness is there, the occult feeling is there, the riffing is there and the production is there. Everything is there. A fantastic debut album!

Listen

Honorable mentions (the two other albums that should be a part of the list):

Blizaro - Cornucopia della morte

Blizaro mainman John Gallow is a huge fan of horror films, doom metal and progressive rock, and he mix the best qualities of all three things in to a fabolous mix of progressive rock and doom metal. While there's elements of classic doom metal like Black Sabbath and the likes, John Gallow's Blizaro have always been on the Italian side of things, and his music oozes of classic italian horror soundtracks (especially giallo soundtracks) and bands like Goblin, Paul Chain (Violet Theatre), Black Hole, The Black, Zess, Requiem, Arpia and so on. The debut album was great, but it's always the demo material I've listened the most to from these guys, as the debut album, City of the Living Nightmare, was a little unfocused in the way it was put together. A bit all over the place and more like a compilation. This however sounds more like a proper album. It should also be noted that this album leans more towards tradition doom and less towards progressive rock than before, but the proggy elements are still present.

Listen

Moonsorrow - Jumalten aika

After a very good, yet disappointing album, Moonsorrow returns to form with an album that sounds like a natural follow-up to 2008's fantastic 30 minute song/EP Tulimyrsky. This is less folky than Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa that saw the band take a few step back towards their two first albums in sound, and instead continue the black, dark, epic and progressive path the band started to walk with the masterpiece that is Verisäkeet, and continued with the masterpieces V: Hävitetty and Tulimyrsky. This album sounds massive, it's challenging and it's bloody fantastic.

Listen

By the way, should we maybe remove the first rule? Instead of having to list three albums, let's make it minimum one album and at most five albums to see if more people join in? I like these threads a lot as long as people write something about the album(s) they've choose, and it doesn't matter if it's one, three or five albums posted really. Maybe that'll make the threads a bit more attractive to people and therefore a lot more active?

Sign in to follow this