Champ213

The Folk Metal Thread

Agree with Bear on Ereb Altor!

Also, it's way past "new", but I haven't seen it being discussed here, I think, so:

Týr's latest album, Valkyrja! 

Good? Bad? Better? Worse?

I personally enjoyed it a great deal. These guys have yet to disappoint me.

Agree with Bear on Ereb Altor!

Also, it's way past "new", but I haven't seen it being discussed here, I think, so:

Týr's latest album, Valkyrja! 

Good? Bad? Better? Worse?

I personally enjoyed it a great deal. These guys have yet to disappoint me.

Yes! Týr are probably my favourite folk metal band overall. I liked Valkyrja quite a bit too. I think it's not on par with my favourite album Ragnarok, but still very enjoyable. I'd rate it about the same as "The Lay of Thrym", maybe a bit better, and definetely better than "By the Light of the Norther Star" (which wasn't a bad album either overall, but the only song that really stood out for me was "Hear the Heathen Call").

From Valkyrja I like "Blood of Heroes" and "Mare of my Night" the most (looool, those lyrics - always have to giggle stupidly at the "painful flute"). Týr are also one of those bands I really want to see live one day.

HNNNNG.

Týr are most likely my favorite band in general, so I'm glad you liked the album ;A; Funny thing is, I like "Mare of my Night" the most out of the whole album and totally dig the lyrics, I only have to be careful not to sing it in public, haha. I feel like "Valkyrja" went for a more progressive sound than the other albums, but that might be just me.

I don't think I can pick a favorite album, would most likely go for either "Eric the Red" or "Land" (which, for some reason, isn't very popular among the fans? idk). As for "By the Light of the Northern Star", I really love "Turið Torkilsdóttir" and "Ride". And it sucks that I keep missing Týr's concerts, when they're close to Slovakia, I'm in Denmark and when they're in Copenhagen or somewhere in Skåne (Malmö, most likely) I happen to be in Slovakia :( So I'm really hoping to see them live one day as well.

I do like the lyrics, especially since it's something different than usual. The flute thing is a bit cheesy, but I am known to like cheesy stuff. XD Overall the lyrics on Valkyrja seem to focus more on the female aspects of norse mythology and not just the usual "Odin, Thor, Valhalla raaaaaaaawr!"-stuff, which is a really nice change of pace in my opinion.

And I don't think that Eric the Red is a bad album. In fact, it has some of the nicest songs based on traditional melodies.

They actually just have been on a Germany tour a few months ago (with Skálmöld no less, who are quite decent), but of course they skipped my town by a wide radius. >_>

What are people's thoughts on Nokturnal Mortum? I expect most people to be rather negative towards these guys because of their NS-connections, which has been a part of the bands lyrics since the begining. They've dropped most of it now though. Great bands who's done a lot of different things through the years. Folk black metal, symphonic black metal, viking metal and so on. On their last album you'll find a lot of Bathory, Moonsorrow and even Pink Floyd influences. Brilliant band IMO!

1. To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire / Nechrist 10/10

2. Goat Horns 9/10

3. The Voice of Steel 9/10

4. Lunar Poetry / Twilightfall 8/10

5. Return of the Vampire Lord / Marble Moon 8/10

6. Мировоззрение 7/10

To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire are one of my all time favourite symphonic black metal albums. The black metal are brutal, and the symphonic parts are so well done. It's a shame only a few bands such as Nokturnal Mortum, Anorexia Nervosa, Obtained Enslavement, Obsidian Gate, Diabolical Breed and a few others dare to make symphonic black metal this way. Brutal and crushing! Don't get me wrong, I love plenty of symphonic black metal, even lenty of Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir, but few dare to make it as crushing and brilliant as these bands. Even the symphonic parts of the first mentioned bands are made with o much class and finesse that few others can match 'em. Brilliant!

And I don't think that Eric the Red is a bad album. In fact, it has some of the nicest songs based on traditional melodies.

Eric the Red is quite popular, actually, I was refering to Land. Many people seem to have found it boring? Maybe because of the two long tracks ("Ocean" and "Land"), but idk, I really love that album.

What are people's thoughts on Nokturnal Mortum? I expect most people to be rather negative towards these guys because of their NS-connections, which has been a part of the bands lyrics since the begining. They've dropped most of it now though. 

It's exactly the NS thingy which kept me from listening to them. But I'll definitely give them another chance now that they've dropped it, I'm always up for some Slavic stuff <3

I'd recommend you to take a look into their older stuff too, though it depends a little on what you enjoy. It's not like their earlier albums are only "hail the white race kill the niggers 1488!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or anything like that. But you'll find a song here and there that includes that kind of stuff. Nechrist are their folkiest album, but it never gets over the top jolly and it's a  dark and hard album. It's very balanced and the folk music never takes over. I love it!

Eric the Red is quite popular, actually, I was refering to Land. Many people seem to have found it boring? Maybe because of the two long tracks ("Ocean" and "Land"), but idk, I really love that album.

Ooh, okay. I wasn't aware that it's unpopular with fans. I guess it's a bit slower than most of their other stuff? I don't mind, I like it too. It also had the most gorgeous packaging. Although it can't quite beat the drinking horn that came with the limited edition of BtLotNS, haha.

So, have you guys ever heard of Tuatha de Danann? 
I used to be a big (and still) fan at the time they were active. 

They're not the usual european folk metal band but I think that is what makes them so cool. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZHALX4w0vQ

This album is amazing xD

Hmm, the music is really cool, I love Celtic/Irish stuff, but the vocal melodies are kinda... off? IDK, I might like it more after a few more listens :3

The instrumental part is really great, though. Interesting to see a band from Brazil making this kind of music.

Ooh, okay. I wasn't aware that it's unpopular with fans. I guess it's a bit slower than most of their other stuff? I don't mind, I like it too. It also had the most gorgeous packaging. Although it can't quite beat the drinking horn that came with the limited edition of BtLotNS, haha.

DID YOU GET THE LIMITED EDITION OF BTLOTNS??? :OOOO

I wanted that drinking horn so bad, didn't manage to snatch a lim.ed. myself, though. Got the album waaaaaay later, money issues ;~~;

DID YOU GET THE LIMITED EDITION OF BTLOTNS??? :OOOO

Yess! And the horn is huge. When I read the description I figured it would be a small horn, small enough to be packaged with a CD, but it turned out to be gigantic. I made this pic back when I unpacked it:

btlotns.jpg

Also, I noticed there's a bunch of folk metal bands from South America. A lot of them seem to go for a heavy/power metal approach though, which is kinda hit and miss for me. Tuatha de Dannan actually remind me a bit of Bellfast, a folk metal band from Japan. XD

Do you use the horn? I personally hate patches, tshirts and all that in limited aditions, because I never use any of it. As a collector I want my albums to be complete with everything that followed. I prefer everything like that to be outside of the box.

Do you use the horn? I personally hate patches, tshirts and all that in limited aditions, because I never use any of it. As a collector I want my albums to be complete with everything that followed. I prefer everything like that to be outside of the box.

I actually used it once or twice to drink from it, yes, just for the sake of it. But I mostly use it as decoration on my cupboard. I'm not very sentimental when it comes to using extras I get with limited editions. The limited edition of Valkyrja came with a poster of the cover artwork and it went straight up on my wall. Also, the horn literally came shipped as seen in the photo. It wasn't sealed in with the CD or had any kind of packaging whatsoever, so there's little incentive to keep it in "pristine" condition. May as well use it for what it is intendeded.

Not originally. I'm from Slovakia, but I'm currently studying in Denmark :)

Hah, I see. How do you like Denmark? I've been there a hanfull of times or something and I've always enjoyed it a lot.

I love Denmark! I would certainly prefer Sweden or Norway because of the weather, nature and the language (I like cold, forests and mountains, and Danish is a pain to pronounce), but as a country, Denmark is wonderful. And the education is free. I live directly in Copenhagen, so most of the time I can be sure to catch my favorite metal bands performing here, which is perfect.

I was actually wondering whether to go to a Turisas concert in February or not. I'd love to see them (even though the last album sucked balls), but money is tight :/

Where are you from, Bear?

The danish language's horrible. Sounds like they've got a god damn potato down their throat. I can understand it, but written and spoken, but it's still a bit hard.

That's nice. As far as I know Copenhagen is well known around here for being a great place for all kinds of concerts. I know a lot of people who tend to go over for concerts several times a year, and the boat over the dam (not sure if dam are the right word but I don't care) is always fun.

Norway.

OH DEAR. NORWAY.

Can I come live with you? I promise I won't be a bother, I just need a couch to sleep on and a shower, I'd even cook for you >.<

Maaan, Norway. Ah. Feels. I'll get there one day. I will. 

It's funny 'cause in the written form Danish is very similar to Norwegian. Actually, when I try to pronounce the actual words, it comes off sounding more Norwegian than Danish. All the silent vowels and stuff, so bothersome. To me, Danish sounds like a drunk German with a Dutch accent speaking Norwegian (bokmål is actually close to the old Danish, though, right? So it's kinda Danish. But it's called Norwegian. And sounds better than actual Danish.). 

Yes, I've heard that a lot of Norwegians and Swedes come to Copenhagen for concerts. The things is, though, Norway, Sweden and Finland are known to be the countries of metal music, whereas Denmark is more of a rock country. I wonder if that's why I have only two Danish friends who actually listen to metal (and it's black metal in both cases).

To get more OT:

Since I've already brought them up, any thoughts on the latest Turisas album?

That's right. And you're spot on with your description of danish.

You're right about the other Scandinavian countries (including Finland) are way more known for metal, but Denmark are getting more and more known as well, much thanks to the doom metal festival Heavy Days In Doomtown, which is supossed to be one of the better festival around now, and the generel metal festival Copenhell. I also think Denmark is quite an underrated country as far as metal goes. They've always had some of the best bands in their genre. And as far as I know there's always lenty of dens at Inferno Festival. Well, there's plenty of people from all over the world, so it's not that weird.

I thought it was a horrible album. It just sounds like a parody album. I'm not a huge Turisas fan to begin with, but I enjoy their debut album a lot. Less jolly folky folk and way more bombastic and huge, if you get what I mean. It sounded more like Bal-Sagoth than their latter works did, which was the key ingredient for me to enjoy the album. The Rasputin cover was great, though, even though the original is a lot better. But yeah, I was not impressed by the new album. Thought it was hilariously bad to be honest. Nothing but a big mess.

I've been really obsessed with Arckanum lately!

Technically this project isn't Folk or Pagan Metal but musically I can see them being mistaken/considered a Pagan Metal band because the music is so similar to those Black Metal bands that blend folky tunes with their grim necro spooky Black Metal. Lyrically the music is about Anti-Cosmic Satanism and that whole Chaos-Gnostic thing some Black Metal bands are all about. Which is why the band is not considered Pagan or Folk since the music is pretty much all about that stuff. Yet for English speakers like me the Swedish lyrics go right over my head without some translation help. 

In any case, clearing that up I'll still post them here since honestly, musically I can compare them to other Pagan themed Black Metal bands. So I don't think it's entirely wrong to share them in a Folk Metal thread (SUCK IT METAL ELITIST)

http://youtu.be/xEWeCkkPNAE?t=2m

(Start at 2min mark)

http://youtu.be/R4hVtvVZqvo?t=59m3s

(Start at 59min mark)

Come on, listen to all that rad cool tribal chanting and shit going on up in this bitch. 

This band is way super cool, so if you like Folk Metal but fed up with gimmicky Folk Metal, Arckanum might be worth checking out. Some of the songs become a little bland and samey but it is a Black Metal band so that's expected. Yet Shamaatae writes enough variety it doesn't feel like you're listening to the same song for the last hour. Also I think the female vocalist is his wife. Shamaatae rage quit the internet and I think interactions with the band now is through his wife only. Apparently awhile back the best way to get in contact with the band is list the Arckanum LP boxset for sale and he'll message you asking you to take it down. There was some big fuck up with a record company and only so many were made before the contract was broken and sale of the boxset was stopped. So it's technically not official merch and if you want to chat with the dude, put it up for sale and he'll find you and call you a cunt....well before he rage quit.

Also Shamaatae goes by a pen name and has written all these books (or grimoires) on Anti-Cosmic Satanism, it was how I found out about Arckanum. I was interested in buying them until I saw they go for at $200 or more on Ebay (Also I think they're all in Swedish).

Older Arckanum sure has a place in this thread. Used to be quite an interesting band in the 90's, but I can't seem to enjoy a single thing after his comeback even though I try. TI think the band lost its identity when they ditched the folk influences and became rather uninteresting to me after that. But I recommend checking out the earlier works of Arckanum. Most will probably fall off the wagon as soon as the vocals kick in though.

And you're not alone about having a trouble with the lyrics as the lyrics are written in old Swedish. Well, used to be at least. For the newer album it seems to be more Icelandic, but I don't know about that. So I think even Swedes have problems with a lot of their lyrics.

And books like that tend to be quite expensive because of the low quantity actually printed, and when they get sold out they get even mroe expensive. Same goes for all the books by the likes of Michael W. Ford of Black Funeral as well. Not that I know, but apparently the books are really, really expensive. But I don't know much about that either.

I really do like the chanting, but the rest is a bit too, I dunno.... "raw" for my taste? Not really my cup of coffee, at least not something I would mlisten to on repeat. I think it would be cool if more bands used that kind of tribal chanting. A lot of folk metal really is just a standard black or death metal song with some flute or similar mixed into it. Which can still make for some great songs, but there is definetly more potential in mixing folk and metal.

I agree!

I feel like Folk Metal overall has become rather stagnated since it's brief inception in the early 2000s. 

It just seems like Folk Metal has stagnated into a few good bands that basically built the genre and then lesser bands that are just rehashing the stuff Finntroll, Tyr, Moonsorrow and Ensiferum have done already. Because like you said Champs, a lot of Folk Metal bands especially newer ones feel like they're just standard mediocre Death or Black Metal with some flutes poorly layered on top. Then throw in some catchy hooks and now the mouth breathers are clamoring over them as the next best thing since sliced bread. I definitely wished more folk bands did more cool tribal sounding stuff instead of some catchy In Flames sounding song with a flute added into it.

Arkona, while they have their pretty bland and standard Folk Metal songs. I think their songs like Zakliatie are some of their best. Arkona has recently updated saying they've been practicing more for their new upcoming album because they plan to not make as many "easy" songs like Stenka na Stenku and Yarilo. So I'm really curious to see what they do, I think Slovo overall was a great album.