Sign in to follow this  
Mr Bacon

[Prog] Shadow Gallery

Anyone know this band? Saw em live yesterday and have to say it was the best show I've ever seen.

Shadow Gallery is an American progressive metal band formed in Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, United States, during the early 1980s, originally under the name Sorcerer. After changing their name to Shadow Gallery (taken from the graphic novel V for Vendetta by Alan Moore) and recording a short 8-track demo, the band was signed to Magna Carta Records in 1991. Shadow Gallery's eponymous debut was released the following year in Japan and Europe. In mid-2005, Shadow Gallery released their fifth studio album, Room V, on the European-American independent label InsideOut.

The band has been compared to contemporary progressive metal bands Dream Theater and Symphony X. The members of Shadow Gallery have also collaborated with other progressive metal bands. Dream Theater's James LaBrie contributed backing vocals to the song "I Believe" (which appeared on Shadow Gallery's 1998 album, Tyranny), and in return Shadow Gallery members have contributed to LaBrie's side projects (such as Mullmuzzler).

Shadow Gallery songs, often in the context of a concept album or story, are frequently long with extended instrumental pieces in the middle. For diversity, their music is heavy at times and mellow at others, sometimes incorporating elements of neo-classical and symphonic metal.

On October 29, 2008, lead singer Mike Baker died of a heart attack at age 45.

OXjEKQAMWpk

Their new singer, Brian Ashland, did an amazing job as well. All of them did really.

I love Mrogressive Metal, but I must say this is quite horrible.

Yea, even after 2 years I'm still kinda in shock about Mike. But Brian is great(even though he sounds like Geoff Tate/Queensryche), when he sang the old songs you'd almost say it was Mike there.

And Joe Nevolo's drum solo yesterday was great, not only skilled but also really entertaining. Love it.

Sign in to follow this