Sign in to follow this  
fitear1590

Postmodern Jukebox

postmodern%20jukebox%20band%20pic%202015

Any fans of Scott Bradlee & Postmodern Jukebox here?  They've become somewhat of a YouTube sensation in the past year, doing classy jazz/swing/big band/doo-wop-style covers of (awful) modern pop songs from artists like Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Beyonce, etc.  The man behind all the arrangements is pianist Scott Bradlee.  The main vocalist of the group is Robyn Adele Anderson, but Cristina Gatti and Ashley Stroud (and some other guests) have also sung on a few tracks.  As far as I know, most of their videos are filmed in Bradlee's house in a "live" manner.

ANYWAY, I'm a fairly new fan, having seen their cover of "Timber" (by Ke$ha and Pitbull) just a few months ago and immediately being in love with their amazing version of a terrible song.  With only a few exceptions, it seems like the more I loathe the original version, the more I love Postmodern Jukebox's covers, haha.

The group is forever in my heart now, after seeing them live in Cologne, Germany.  Scott Bradlee was joined by the three vocalists, plus MC (and occasional singer) Drue Davis, a drummer, a upright bassist, a trombonist, and a saxophone/clarinet player.  They played about 18 songs, mostly selections from their two 2014 albums "Clubbin' with Grandpa" and "Twist is the New Twerk", but also a Mowtown Nickelback cover and Amy Winehouse's "Valerie."  After the show, my friend and I got to meet the group, get a photo with Scott and Robyn, and they signed our CDs!  They are such a tight, talented group of musicians and it was truly a pleasure to get to see them in such an intimate venue (I was in the second row).

It seems like they're gaining more and more popularity, so I hope they can up the production of their songs/videos and do a nice tour in the US sometime(hopefully, in the city I'll be moving to soon).  Their concept and style is spot-on and the perfect way for me to tolerate mainstream pop. They have an unbelievable number of good covers so far, so I'm interested to hear how they keep growing!

Here's a selection of my favorite tracks:

Katy Perry - Birthday

Selena Gomez - Come and Get It

Lana Del Ray - Young and Beautiful

Iggy Azalea - Fancy

Beyonce - Drunk in Love

My friend finally sent me the photo of when we saw/met them live :D
10347400_10154568173295052_7360847764492

They also just released their third album Historical Misappropriations and here are a few of my favorites, besides the Maroon 5 one posted above:

Jason Derulo - Wiggle

Meghan Trainor - All About That Bass

Calvin Harris - Summer

Ariana Grande - Problem

Sign in to follow this