Sign in to follow this  
Jigsaw9

Kaya - TABOO

So, what do you guys think of Kaya's new single? Personally, I loved it!

TABOO's opening synth sounds somewhat nostalgic but then dat bass comes in and Kaya's voice... it fits so well. Ken Morioka did a really good job with this song imo, I'd love to hear him write more stuff for Kaya because it really works. No parts are boring because they keep throwing in some little extra synth melodies that complement Kaya's vocals nicely (talking about the verses and bridge mainly). The change of pace around the middle was a good thing too, keeps things interesting. Overall, this song might seem long looking at its duration but they make it really fun to listen to.

Now onto Kalm's track, Infection! The beginning could even pass off as an intro to a VELVET EDEN track with its intricate synth parts but then it cranks up the speed, in a really fun and manic-sounding way. I gotta say, the subtle effect on Kaya's voice is a nice touch here (makes it more... 'harsh'?), as are the intervowen synths lurking in the background while the song blasts away. Gotta love that circus-y interlude too! All in all, this is a pretty kickass song, with a darker atmosphere compared to TABOO. Not sure if I like this or that one better, both are pretty solid.

And yeah, there are karaoke versions of both songs again, not gonna review those.

:4.0: | a catchy single full of great sounds and atmosphere, this is the Kaya I like!

To be honest got mixed feelings after listening this single. TABOO reminds me a little of Schwarz Stein, but also of american disco club music. The whole song really well built, Kaya' s vocals fit here. For me it's a little bit too long. 6 minutes of repetitive beats. Generally speaking it's nice, but the chorus dissapoints a little. I mean higher voice at the end. For me it's 4.5/5

Infection in comparison to the previos song is much, much better. It's an interesting mixture. Mysterious beginning, and then hard electronics. What a shame, Hora didn't compose this song. It's his style. Also kept in Schwarz Stein style in the best form. Maybe in a few moments wrong built melodics, but it was a big suprise. Main theme is for me a masterpiece. 5/5

As a conclusion: The best Kaya single in years 2012 and 2013. Keep going this way!

Okay, so I actually heard Taboo,  Infection (voiceless) and then the regular version with Kaya's vocals...and the terrible part of it is that I kind of preferred the voiceless one. It's absurd given how much I like Kaya's voice and how...well, this is Kaya's single, but somehow on the first listen his voice didn't seem to fit the instrumental. I felt like listening some disco tune with Taboo, and an ost of a game with Infection. 
However now after I got to hear the two songs many more times, my opinion is not as harsh. With Coppelia it was love at first listen, I guess I needed more time in this case. 

Sign in to follow this