Valicious

Im participating in the Muscular Dystrophy Association Muscle Walk this year!

Over the years MDA has helped me in more ways than I can recall. Of course there is the ongoing research that they do (Charcot Marie Tooth, what affects me, is just one of the diseases they research), but they have provided me with leg braces, a new wheelchair ramp when mine got stolen, and even sent me to summer camp for many many years in a row.

When MDA Summer Camp's website says "The best week of the year", they aren't exaggerating one bit. I saw so many kids smiling during the 8+ years I went there, the kind of smiles and sheer joy that you just don't see other places. MDA Camp is a place that, for me at least, physical challenges seem to almost cease to exist and, even if for just one week, that experience is irreplaceable.
Some of my experiences at camp were bittersweet in a way. I mentioned that I would see more happiness on kids' faces during that week than I'd see during the entire rest of the year, though some faces I didn't see the next year or the year after that. I made a friend at camp during one of my first years there, and we looked forward to and enjoyed seeing each other each year. After a couple years, I stopped seeing him at camp. I thought he just didn't make it that year but, when I didn't see him the next year either, I finally asked and found out he hadDuchenne's. It's the nature of some types of Muscular Dystrophy to severely limit a person's lifespan, and I'm so grateful that I was able to see him as happy as he was while I knew him.
One of the aspects I particularily like about MDA is that they focus on both the long- and short-term. While doing research for a cure is essential towards eventual progress, many people need for more immediate help. MDA sees those needs, but also the need for medical advancement, and strives to fulfill both.

I am participating in the MDA Muscle Walk on March 30th, and implore anyone who can to make a donation. Absolutely anything helps, even that $5 you were going to spend on coffee smile.gif

They've even gotten all high-tech this year and given participants their own website where people can make secure credit card donations.

http://www2.mda.org/goto/valeriestrong