Heroin

Roots of Your Music

what a great story and a great brother! haha

I never heard of those bands but I am digging the sounds. especially that band, 凛として時雨, the style!

keep on listening to great music dude

My parents aren't at all in rock. Mostly french variety for my mother, so I had to built my rock side by myself.

I remember when I was 10 (until 14), I listened to the radio mostly. I remember recording some songs on tape too. Mostly RnB, even rap (xDD), mostly pop (Britney Spears, Nelly Furtado, ...). All the popular stuff. My first """"rock""" album was Let Go from Avril Lavigne, I bought it when she wasn't even popular/on rotation everywhere yet (the price tag was still in francs! 87 francs; it's ~13€).

When I was 14, I was at my best friend's house, and she'd borrowed a cd to her brother's friend who stayed there for some time, she told me this song in particular was great (she put the cd in the player so I could listen). It was In The End by Linkin Park. I loved it, the melody, the voice (who doesn't love this song btw?? it's pretty hard to hate it) and I bought the album, my first metal album. I still have it tho, even if the CD case is broken in 2 lmao this album is in 2 pieces 8D I still know this album by heart, I will never forget it (even if now, LP.......I'm not listening anymore but it's not the subject).

I had a computer at home for the school (college), but no internet until I was 17. So it's wasn't easy to have access to music (we have no idea today how much internet ease our life). For the music discoveries, at age 15-16, I bought magazines with cd sampler monthly (so I could eventually buy albums when I was pleased with some songs; I discovered many bands this way), we exchange cd albums with friends so I could engraved it at home on a CD-R, I watched MTV-2 at home, via MySpace, I even remember buying albums only by looking the covers or by reading critics on mags !!!  My knowledge was pretty small until I've got the internet.

At age 18, I was aware of the VK movement, via some blogs that I've followed which the owners was pretty into it (DIR EN GREY etc), but totally despised their mentality, example: "VK WILL RULE THE WORLD !!1!1!1" GUUUURL. Completely by chance (don't ask me how, cannot remember), I've heard In Vain by D'espairsRay and I loved it (I remember the song because of the electro beat). This was my first listening, until I slipped totally in the genre one or two years later (GUUUUURL!) xD

So until today, I had phases, with differents genres and so many bands that today I've hard times to follow everything (and to be really focused on what I listen, if you know what I mean). Internet is a benediction but can also be a curse xD. I try by now to focus on some bands/artists only, I don't have the time to follow everyone today.

That's it for me.

i used to listen to basically nothing but pop music in english. i'd always been interested in rhythm games, so that was my first exposure to jpop basically. from pop i listened to stuff usually recommended by my irl friends which consisted of rock music and like 90s alternative. then i started to get bored of all music so i was looking for a way to find more music so i made a lastfm. then i started to try out new genres but i was still uneasy. then i joined turntable.fm back in 2011 or something and started hanging out in a japanese/anime music room and my interest grew and i started trying out random albums from there based on songs i liked. that was around when i started listening to full albums for once. then from turntable i got interested in other east asian music and then somehow i ended up where i am now. i dont like to limit myself to any specific language or genre anymore because that's boring.

My parents aren't at all in rock. Mostly french variety for my mother, so I had to built my rock side by myself.

I remember when I was 10 (until 14), I listened to the radio mostly. I remember recording some songs on tape too. Mostly RnB, even rap (xDD), mostly pop (Britney Spears, Nelly Furtado, ...). All the popular stuff. My first """"rock""" album was Let Go from Avril Lavigne, I bought it when she wasn't even popular/on rotation everywhere yet (the price tag was still in francs! 87 francs; it's ~13€).

When I was 14, I was at my best friend's house, and she'd borrowed a cd to her brother's friend who stayed there for some time, she told me this song in particular was great (she put the cd in the player so I could listen). It was In The End by Linkin Park. I loved it, the melody, the voice (who doesn't love this song btw?? it's pretty hard to hate it) and I bought the album, my first metal album. I still have it tho, even if the CD case is broken in 2 lmao this album is in 2 pieces 8D I still know this album by heart, I will never forget it (even if now, LP.......I'm not listening anymore but it's not the subject).

I had a computer at home for the school (college), but no internet until I was 17. So it's wasn't easy to have access to music (we have no idea today how much internet ease our life). For the music discoveries, at age 15-16, I bought magazines with cd sampler monthly (so I could eventually buy albums when I was pleased with some songs; I discovered many bands this way), we exchange cd albums with friends so I could engraved it at home on a CD-R, I watched MTV-2 at home, via MySpace, I even remember buying albums only by looking the covers or by reading critics on mags !!!  My knowledge was pretty small until I've got the internet.

At age 18, I was aware of the VK movement, via some blogs that I've followed which the owners was pretty into it (DIR EN GREY etc), but totally despised their mentality, example: "VK WILL RULE THE WORLD !!1!1!1" GUUUURL. Completely by chance (don't ask me how, cannot remember), I've heard In Vain by D'espairsRay and I loved it (I remember the song because of the electro beat). This was my first listening, until I slipped totally in the genre one or two years later (GUUUUURL!) xD

So until today, I had phases, with differents genres and so many bands that today I've hard times to follow everything (and to be really focused on what I listen, if you know what I mean). Internet is a benediction but can also be a curse xD. I try by now to focus on some bands/artists only, I don't have the time to follow everyone today.

That's it for me.

We all for the most part had fallen for the mainstream media. but thank goodness we were able to find good music.

and oh lord, in a sense it does feel like a curse. too many great, interesting bands to listen to, that I have a giant list of bands/ era in music that I need to look through.

i used to listen to basically nothing but pop music in english. i'd always been interested in rhythm games, so that was my first exposure to jpop basically. from pop i listened to stuff usually recommended by my irl friends which consisted of rock music and like 90s alternative. then i started to get bored of all music so i was looking for a way to find more music so i made a lastfm. then i started to try out new genres but i was still uneasy. then i joined turntable.fm back in 2011 or something and started hanging out in a japanese/anime music room and my interest grew and i started trying out random albums from there based on songs i liked. that was around when i started listening to full albums for once. then from turntable i got interested in other east asian music and then somehow i ended up where i am now. i dont like to limit myself to any specific language or genre anymore because that's boring.

thats a great ideal! definitely don't limit yourself to music!