Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

9Goats Black Out - Calling

This album proves the significant loss the vk scene and the Japanese rock scene will experience without 9goats black out. From the very beginning they eschewed the typical VK sound of nasally vocals, trying to sound brootal, or like be like any other vk band and have developed their unique sound. Their music has flowered into amazing tracks of evolving song structures, chord progressions and a talent for incorporating refined genres. The members definitely have musicianship and it backs their releases, yet there’s also sonic variety and a set standard of quality. All characteristics that Calling has.

I found the album to be a an amazing journey of sounds. There are moments when I think hear psychedelic, shoegaze, jazz or flamingo music, but there all the subtle nuances the band has borrowed from those genres. There isn't a bad song on this album, but the highlights for me were you, dye an unease, Canaria, Asche, 揺り籠, and rip current

Instrumentally, the album is awesome. The guitars are elegant with the cleans, intimate with acoustic work, vicious with the little heavy material present, and spectacular with the solos and note leading. The drumming is offbeat and just like the bass, manages to provide the essential backing rhythm section but also stand out on their own. Ryo’s unique vocals are great and are a good match with the music. His falsetto’s harmonies really add some atmosphere to the music.

So with so much awesomeness packed into 11 tracks totaling 40 minutes I think the album deserves a 10/10. I’ve never given out a perfect 10 out of 10 but I think Calling is one of those rare releases that is damn near perfect. I’m gonna miss this band

So with so much awesomeness packed into 11 tracks totaling 40 minutes I think the album deserves a 10/10. I’ve never given out a perfect 10 out of 10 but I think Calling is one of those rare releases that is damn near perfect. I’m gonna miss this band

This

Sign in to follow this