Sign in to follow this  
Rosà

Moi Dix Mois - Reprise (11.07.2012)

After listening three or more times I'm able to do a short review of new compilation album from Moi Dix Mois made for 10th anniversary of their existence. I'd like to say something in general, because the songs are mostly re-recordings, so track by track review doesn't make any sense here (for me). I'd like also to say something more about new song (what a pity it's only 1 new song, but it's better than nothing). So, let's go!

First ov all, i'm not disappointed. It doesn't matter, that this album brings almost nothing new. But it's Mana's work. Not only that. Re-recordings have something powerful and really nice, in opposition to the previous ones with Juka/Shaura. The change of vocalist make them good. Maybe Shaura's voice was too soft. Songs like nocturnal romance, dialogue symphonie or the prophet (and some more) grew on me. Personally, by this time I didn't like them. Now, I can say, I love them! Mana always knows, how to compose songs, mix them to be listenable, effective. He's not run out of ideas, solid, so... Gratulations!

What irritates me... Too many SE. WTH, why there are two SE from previous albums and one with new name, which contains parts of different songs? I didn't get the first one, which i'm talking about. Is it a new one? A compilation? WTH? One SE would be nice, and some more re-recordings, even new songs. But not. That's sad.

As a summary of this part i can say: good job. I can give it 4.5/5 (only because of te SE songs)

And now Je L'Aime. Nice song. Really good. Moi Dix Mois never disappoints. There are some softer, some harder parts. But there is too big contrast between those parts. Seth's voice is rather soft, nice melodic riffs, organs/keyboards complete the image of nice song. definitely 4.75/5.

End note: 9.25/10. Definitly worth of listening and buying it ^^

I had high hopes for this album, after the huge disappointment of the last release (I dont even remember the album's name), in which the only song I liked was the remake.

So, I thought "it's obvious that Mana has run out of ideas, a remake album may be a good one to keep my interest in mdm".

And it actually did.

I LOVE Seth (Seiji, Z, whatever), and I dont hate Juka...but let's be honest, whoever thinks that Juka is a better singer than Seiji, especially in lives...is just a horny fangirl.

So, for me, this is already a big improvement (even though, it's quite obvious these songs werent "designed" for seiji, in some cases it doesnt even sound like him ahah).

Aside the improvements in vocals, they got rid (kinda) of those crappy synth sounds that were used in their first releases, overall it's more enjoyable.

The choice of the songs is not bad, but could have been better, in my opinion. The lack of monophobia is particulary disappointing.

And pageant...I never liked its "happy" feel, and I still dont like it, it doesnt suit mdm at all.

Another little disappointment was the prophet, a song that I love, and I found not having the same power of the original (especially the distorted voice, is not as creeply distorted as it used to be).

Aside these "flaws", I really liked it.

I liked je l'aime, the new song, too. Maybe it's because this is not an album filled with meaningless songs, so this new one can stand out a little (for being the only new one)..I'd just like to kill seiji for that crappy french in the end (is it french? idk, it just made my ears bleed).

As for the SEs, I never care about them, listen to them once and then always skip them, and its not unusual for Mana to put 2-3 SEs in his albums, so it's not surprising.

I wont give this a vote. I just liked it a lot, especially compared to the last release.

Finally, I have some stuff from mdm to listen to again.

I wasn't sure this would be amazing considering it was just remakes, but I still have s few thoughts on it:

-La Dix croix - I actually preferd Juka's version more, I love Seth don't get me wrong, but I always rememberd this one

for its deep flowing vocals in contrast to the fast pace of the track. Seth just can't achieve I think.

-Pageant - Diversity in music has always been a thing I've found Mana to be good at, even from his early days in malice

mizer. He's so associated with dark feeling songs that I enjoy when he steps out of line and try's something different

he's never been a one trick pony in that sense. Seth's lighter vocal range fits with the song well :)

Aside from those two, I generally liked a lot of the remakes. D+Sect was alright, but I don't find those tracks nearly as memorable as these reworked ones.

It's been a while since I've written a review on here.

First of all I want to say, that I was really curious about the album, because I was always wondering how Seth would pull off the old Juka songs.

Personally I prefer Juka, but still I'll to be objective on this.

My favorite songs were: front et baiser, vestige, pageant

I loved the new elements in front et baiser. The intro was a nice addition to an already awesome song.

Vestige is a song I never really liked, but with Seth on vocals it kind of grew on me.

Pageant was always a Seth song for me. I always thought about how well his voice would match it and it seems like I was right about it.

Overall I liked the album, but still it didn't completely fulfill my expectations. Why? Lack of power. In my honest opinion Seth did a good job on the three songs up there, but the other songs feel kind of empty and especially the choruses are kind of weak.

I also have the feeling, that he sings a bit sloppy throughout the release.

The question is: Why does he do that even though he can do better? It doesn't sound too well and doesn't really match that "dark and beautiful" image Mana once wanted to create.

Another thing, that's bugging me is the overall mixing of the album. Everything is so separated, that it sounds like everyone's playing by himself and not as a whole band.

I'd give the album a 4/5. Even though there are many points on my "cons" -list it is quite enjoyable. No song is really bad. Some are outstanding with Seth on vocals.

Oh yeah and I didn't mention the new song as it just doesn't do it for me. It seems to be well-composed and stuff, but for some reason it just vanishes out of my head right after listening to it.

Sign in to follow this