Sign in to follow this  
Wind

MUCC - NIRVANA

Well, this was a nice surprise. I haven't actually enjoyed a MUCC single as much as this one in quite a while. I'll use the track-by-track format, since it seems to be so popularly regarded. I will not give idnividual scores for songs, but I will give an overall score at the end.

1. NIRVANA

Again, a very nice surprise. MUCC has seemingly both transposed and dismissed their earlier attempts at incorporating electronica and have opted instead for a more reverb-heavy version that seems to be a more natural progression for their rock-ish tendencies. That is not to say that the electronics are absent - honestly, MUCC hasn't had an electronica free release since...what, Houyoku? At any rate, the electronic elements are well played in NIRVANA. They support the music with their addition, but don't overpower anything about the players themselves. This is the thing that sets this track apart from their previous efforts (lookin' at you Arcadia/Akatsuki). This feels like a MUCC song.

Tatsurou's vocals are actually stronger than they have been in awhile. During the first chorus you can really feel him rev into gear and continue to hold strong with his usual flares. I'm almost tempted to be reminded of "Saishuu Ressha," or "Libra," but with, well, better singing.

This is, in all regards to me, a return to style for MUCC.

2. Barusu (Balse)

A bit about this track first off: The name is probably "Barusu," a reference to the magic words in the Ghibli film, "Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa/Laputa: Castle in the Sky" which are part of the finale. I won't go into details (go watch the bleeding film, it's a classic), but this song references "Horobi no kotoba wo tsukaitai na" (I want to use the words of destruction) which is a pretty decent indicator (again: go watch the film).

As far as the song goes, it's a real banger. Satochi gets this real nice beat going, while Yukke and Miya both get to support with some solid god's-be-damned rock sound. Tatsurou still manages to be up front, but not by nearly as much as usual. Now kids, this is the important part; while MUCC has always been a band before, they have always tended to focus on, well, Tatsurou's vocals. Not a bad thing per-say, but it leans towards old after awhile. "Barusu" manages to bring the whole group together. There are no electronics. There is rock and feeling. Everybody participates and is exceedingly necessary for the song to work. This is forward movement, people.

3. NIRVANA -MOONBUG REMIX-

I for one like dubstep and can find enjoyment in brostep. I hope that makes this clear when I say I like the elements used in this remix. If you like dubstep, and you liked NIRVANA, then you will probably be pretty cool with this remix. It's fun and at least a little bit entertaining, while also retaining a good beat. I will totally be jogging to this.

Skipping the TV Size version of NIRVANA. It's a fine snippet of a good song.

---

Anyway, now that my thoughts are out of the way, here are my final feelings on NIRVANA as a whole.

This was a good single. It had a great A-track and an interesting b-side, while the second b-side was truly an omake in most Japanese sense of the way - something extra. If you find fault in the style of the songs that MUCC put in here, then perhaps your tastes just don't sit that well with MUCC as they are right now. "Shion" was a good departure for them, so maybe go listen to it a few more times and give NIRVANA a try again later?

9/10

I somehow like their current music direction, mixing electronica and some autotune is definitely a good idea!

Nirvana is pretty good. I don't like Barusu, but Nirvana -Moonnbug remix- is enjoyable!

Overall: (7.5/10)

Sign in to follow this