Sign in to follow this  
Champ213

Champ's Best Album Picks of 2011

I kept my top list short (three favourites, to be precice). Partially because I don't want to be TL;DR and because I'm incredibly slow when it comes to listeneing to new releases. I'm always a year behind, so half of my favourite music this year was released in 2010 or earlier.

However, here is an extended list of other albums I liked at the bottom.

Anyway, here we go:

2166857.jpg

Tenhi - Saivo

Genre: Neofolk

Sample song: Pojan Kiiski

Tenhi are the perfect example why it pays off to wait for a new album instead of expecting a band to release something new every few months. Their first real studio album in five years, being delayed over one year, was worth every single day of waiting. Dark, intense and simply beautiful.

60984881.png

実験台モルモット - 箱庭の音樂会

Genre: Jazz/pop

Sample Song: 半分個カーディオイド

実験台モルモット are certainly my favourite discovery of the year when it comes to japanese music. Carefree, happy and catchy music, yet sophisticated and never cheap. Really a great album for a band that seemed to have popped out of nowhere.

67050938.jpg

Thy Catafalque - Rengeteg

Genre: Avantgarde Metal

Sample Song: Trilobita

Admittedly, this album sounds a lot like its two predecessors. However since Thy Catafaque's style is somewhat unique on its own it doesn't really matter so much. The album itself also has a lot of variety, from slow ambient-ish electronic tracks to blast-beat layered metal tracks, and anything inbetween.

Other stuff that was good:

A - White Album

Amber gris - Pomander

Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising

Anthem - Heraldic Device

Corde Oblique - A Hail of Bitter Almonds

Dark Suns - Orange

Einherjer - Norron

Emmy the Great - Virtue

Kauan - Kuu...

Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know

ThanatoShizo - Origami