Sign in to follow this  
TheBistroButcher666

[Rus] Arkona - Аркона

arkona062820113.jpg

Current Line-Up:

Masha Scream - Vocals (Nargathrond)

Aleksei ``Lesiar`` Agafonov - Vocals (ex-Butterfly Temple, Winterwoman, Nevid)

Lazar - Guitars (Rossomahaar, Nargathrond)

Kniaz - Bass (Rossomahaar, Nargathrond)

Vlad - Synths, Drums (Rossomahaar)

Аркона (Arkona) is a Slavic folk metal band from Dolgoprudnyy, Russia, founded in 2002. In 2003 the band recorded their first demo at CDM-RECORDS studio: Rus’. In summer 2003 the band broke up and Masha formed a new collective boasting members from Rossomahaar and Butterfly Temple. With this line-up (and Lesiar as guest musician) the band released three albums. Masha remains the heart of the project, being responsible for the music, vocals (including grunting) and lyrics.

The lyrics focus on the desired revival of Slavonic pagan religion, patriotism, ancestors, battles.

While the first two albums have clear keyboard parts, the latter two releases took a more folky approach, emphasizing the usage of instruments like the flute and accordion.

The temple fortress of Arkona, today called Jaromarsburg, was the religious centre of the Slavic Rani in the Early Middle Ages. The temple was dedicated to the deity Svantevit, who was depicted with four heads. The temple housed an important horse oracle in Slavic times, where the behaviour of a white stallion could decide peace or war (horse oracles have a long history in this region, being already attested in the writings of Tacitus).

So Arkona is like my favoritest band ever, I recently saw them live for the first time (their first time in the US I believe (or at least first time in Seattle)) and I had a blast. Live they are incredibly awesome and Masha is so full of energy. Her English appears to be some what limited, she said something to the crowd but no one knew what she wanted us to do so we just all cheered. Pretty much every release of theirs is solid, some weaker than others but still pretty solid releases. Slovo was their latest release and their first to use a real orchestra. Personally my favorite is still Vo Slavu Velikim which was released in 2005. Though nostalgia probably skews my opinion because this was the first album that I had listened to from them back in the day. Anyway, to sum it up Masha is short and adorable IRL and I could totally go gay for her. Here's some YouTube videos.

xDrKpYn-8u8

si4pvC0R3Z4

SgXlUxDGFvU

Tt6_65LDZ60

There aren't that many female-fronted metal bands I enjoy (probably because too much of it is boring gothic/operatic metal), but Arkona is certainly one I like. Some may remember that a year or two ago I even had a Masha avatar for a while. :lol:

arkava.png

Also, I just love the sound of the russian languages, and they're irresistibly folky, so it's win-win-win for me.

I must admit though that I never got into their older stuff, but maybe just because I never tried it that much. The stuff I listen to is basically from От Сердца к Небу and onwards.

There aren't that many female-fronted metal bands I enjoy (probably because too much of it is boring gothic/operatic metal)

Indeed, it's refreshing to hear a female fronted band that isn't trying to be like Nightwish. I don't want to sound like a feminist asshole but one thing I love about Masha is she doesn't have to whore herself out and use sex appeal to garner attention from lonely neckbeard metal fans.

I think you should really try Vo Slavi Velikim, the album is when they really fleshed out and refined their sound. Lepta and Vozroshdenie are still pretty raw and might be harder to get into if you've only listened to their later material.

I think you played this in the TT room on the Christmas-themed night.

I was a fan! That's a definite compliment from me, since I'm extremely picky about metal.

Though I must admit, from the song I heard, I thought it was a man!

Though I must admit, from the song I heard, I thought it was a man!

A lot of people seem to have that impression. Years ago when I was with an ex-boyfriend, he had been listening to Arkona and had assumed it was a man for a really long time. I think we started chatting about it and I had mentioned Masha's gender and he was pretty floored by it.

Awesome! Arkona is touring the US again!

See you in Seattle!

3/29 - Baltimore, MD @ Sonar

3/30 - Worcester, MA @ Palladium

3/31 - New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre

4/01 - Montreal, QC @ Club Soda

4/02 - Toronto, ON @ The Opera House

4/03 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's

4/04 - Detroit, MI @ Blondie's

4/05 - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's Rock Club

4/06 - Saint Paul, MN @ Station 4

4/07 - Louisville, KY @ Vernon Club

4/08 - Charlotte, NC @ Tremont Music Hall