The general Metal discussion thread

Such good news! I can't wait and holy shit, two hours of Paysage d'Hiver? We're in for a treat!

In other news... More drama in the black metal scene.
Sadly, there's some bad news from Glaciation's side. I'll let Valnoir do the talking with these Instagram posts but... What the hell?

I'm so mad reading this.

Spoiler

87730880_2579751242307012_13604506220877

88011923_2525100667722144_67984046264680

Hreidmarr is nothing but scum. This is just shameful.

I don't think that there's anything to do from Valnoir, Hugo and François since the guy now has the legal right to do with the band name what he wishes to...

I wasn't aware of the new album tho? Definitely boycotting that shit.

Also, not that it has something to do with the topic but I just saw that the guy  is also a member of Baise Ma Hache. LOL

Anyway, this just proves once again that it is always a good idea to legally protect anything you create and care for.

One day you let someone in and next thing you know they steal it from you. Disgusting stuff.

I saw that the other day and it's just odd. In the case of Immortal and Gorgoroth there's both legacy and some money involved, and in the case of Batushka there's a lot of money involved. But this tho, there's no legacy no history, no money. No nothing. I don't get the motives behind this at all. But musicians will be musicians I guess.

1994 is still a fantastic release, tho. So is the stuff RMS Hreidmarr did with Anorexia Nervosa. And he still is an excellent vocalist.

New Lustre album coming later this year. It's more of the usual Lustre stuff - sugar coated atmospheric black metal that you can play around anyone, no matter their taste, without annoying them. Slow, atmospheric and beautiful, topped with his best vocal performance/sound so far? Sounds incredible.

After three demos (between 2002-2015) Greece's Black Sword Thunder Attack is finally releasing a proper EP, and this new track is super cool. For fans of old school epic heavy metal. Love those vocals! Very Lordian Guard-esque band, which I absolutely love.

More awesome news:

Satan's Cross - Celebration of the Fallen

First track off the upcoming EP by Satan's Cross. Satan's Cross is the black metal project of Sulphur and Mercury of the Paul Chain (and early Italian doom scene) homage band Violet Magick. Sulphur is also active in thew black/speed metal band Cöuntess and black thrashers Hell Desecrator. Satan's Cross released a brilliant single five years ago, and then went silent. So I am happy they're finally back. Think a mix of Mortuary Drape, Bathory, old Rotting Christ, Death SS and Mercyful Fate and we're there. First track sounds excellent.

825796.jpg?2034

4 Doors to Death II

The second part in Unspeakable Axe Records' death metal splits. First one contained Ectovoid, Sabbatory, Trenchrot and Cemetery Filth, which is a pretty good line up. This time they step it up with Fetid Zombie, Nucleus(!!!), Temple of Void and Ectoplasma. Nucleus is a band I've mentioned many times in here as they released one of the best death metal albums of the decade just last year, Temple of Void plays death/doom in the vein of Hooded Menace, Ectoplasma plays old school death metal kinda similar to early 90's bands (Benediction, Grave), and Fetid Zombie is just weird. Ghoul, Impetigo, Blood Freak and Frightmare meets Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Bathory and Venom meets Mortuary Drape, Rotting Christ and Varathron meets Obituary, Autopsy and Possessed meets At the Gates, In Flames and Dark Tranquillity meets Hell, Angel Witch, Satan and Cloven Hoof. As you can see, the band is a bit all over the place, often topped with poorly programmed drums. But there's something charming about the band, tho. Kinda funny, but at the same time pretty awesome.

Saw Dread Sovereign, Saturnalia Temple, The Ruins of Beverast and Wolvennest tonight.

I was very excited to see Dread Sovereign and holy shit, they didn't let me down - they even exceeded my expectations! I might have not fully enjoyed the full set of Primordial last summer, but I feel like seeing Nemtheanga with Dread Sovereign makes up for it. What a fucking vocalist, what a performance. Everything was on point. The bass, the guitars, the drums. Damn.

The Ruins of Beverast was pretty good, didn't enjoy as much as I enjoy listening to their music on my headphones but yeah. Good performance still! 
I've only listened to Exuvia and Rain Upon the Impure from them so far, so yeah. Both are fantastic but the latter is my favorite. Need to dig more.

Saturnalia Temple was boring. :( Didn't expect much from them after listening to their new album Gravity. They're not bad though, I just can't get into their music I guess.

And Wolvennest were very good. I saw clips on YouTube and I got mesmerized by their performance, but actually being at a concert of these guys is something else. The atmosphere is really unique. And they don't rely only on atmosphere because the music is heavy as fuck. I'm spinning the album Void as I write this commet, and I regret not doing it before. So good.

Anyway, going to another concert tomorrow: Konkhra, Malevolent Creation and Krzysztof's Batushka.

Really intrigued to see how this Batushka performs.
Panihida is a very good album so I'm very excited! I'm wondering if he's gonna play stuff from Litourgiya though? I don't know.

Anyway, the show is sold out so I hope I can find a good spot.

Was nice to read your gig experience, @Visutox! :) Makes me wanna go to an underground extreme metal show again... I haven't been to one since god knows when. Vitriol and Gruesome will be playing here at the end of the month, I might make it to that one (tho the headliner is Krisiun whom I don't really know or care for).

Anyway, since I'm here I might as well share my joy about the new Spectral Voice track that's out. Top graveyard death/doom filth as always!

https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/track/spectral-voice-ineffable-winds

Also on a random note, I somehow stumbled upon this young Austrian speed metal band Death Racer recently, fun rippin' stuff. The song title "Motormentor" alone made me wanna check their demo out, haha. Seems like they're going for a speeding-racing theme.

https://deathracerspeed.bandcamp.com/releases

On 3/1/2020 at 9:51 AM, Jigsaw9 said:

Vitriol and Gruesome will be playing here at the end of the month, I might make it to that one (tho the headliner is Krisiun whom I don't really know or care for).

Not the biggest fan of Krisiun myself (although their early stuff up until and including Conquerors of Armageddon is pretty good), but they're really solid live. Recommended.

Track off their upcoming album Leaves of Yesteryear, their first full-lenght since 2006's Acoustic Verses. This sounds damn good, and the video by Costin Chioreanu is gorgeous. This track tho: haaaawt dayum!!!

Not too bad actually. Not too different from their early stuff with Kristoffer W. Olivius as vocalist, but a lot more Dissection-esque.

Loads and loads to look forward to:

830950.jpg?5928

The Wizar'd - Subterranean Exile

https://hcrthewizard.bandcamp.com/

Doom metal with Ol' Rusty of Dracula,  Tarot, Torpedo etc. First album since 2013, and the preview track sounds fantastic. Great band for fans of Pagan Altar, The Lamp of Thoth and more.

825860.jpg?2338

Eldritch Rites - Hell and Doom and Days Long Gone

https://eldritchrites.bandcamp.com/track/a-song-forlorn-live

Another Australian doom metal band. Not quite as good as other Australian acts like The Wizar'd and Lucifer's Fall, but kinda similar to aforementioned bands, The Lamp of Thoth etc.

831108.jpg?1254

Old Corpse Road - On Ghastly Shores Lays the Wreckage of Our Lore

UK black/folk metal in the vein of older Cradle of Filth (circa the debut) and some The Meads of Asphodel, but with a slightly folky twist. Looking forward to this.

827367.jpg?0545

Head of the Demon - Deadly Black Doom

Kinda unique black/doom metal. Imagine Cultes des Ghoules making much doomier music, or just a mix of Cultes des Ghoules and Faustcoven. Should be great.

828520.jpg?0452

Iku-Turso - Pakana

https://iku-turso.bandcamp.com/album/pakana

Good traditional 90's black metal. The debut was really good.

828025.jpg?4630

Winterfylleth - The Reckoning Dawn

https://winterfylleth.bandcamp.com/

Black metal with a pagan feeling in the vein of Drudkh, Fen and Wodensthrone. Epic and slightly uplifting, and quite nice.

830707.jpg?1537

Sojourner - Premonitions

https://sojournermetal.bandcamp.com/album/premonitions

Sugar coated black metal in the vein of Caladan Brood, Eldamar and Elderwind.

828813.jpg?0308

Hexenbrett - Zweite Beschwörung: Ein Kind zu töten

https://dyingvictimsproductions.bandcamp.com/album/hexenbrett-zweite-beschw-rung-ein-kind-zu-t-ten

Unique heavy/black metal in the vein of Death SS, Mortuary Drape, Master's Hammer, Root and Malokarpatan.

829041.jpg?0550

Tøronto - Under Siege

https://dyingvictimsproductions.bandcamp.com/album/t-ronto-under-siege

Speed metal with members and ex-members of Morbus Chron, Lethal Steel and Temisto. Raw and cool shit.

827268.jpg?0708

Cirith Ungol - Forever Black

https://cirithungol.bandcamp.com/

I shouldn't have to say anything about these guys. Was active from 72-92 and releasing some cracking masterpieces before they disbanded, but luckily for us they came back in 2015 and their comeback is finally here. Greg Lindstrom played on the demos and the debut album, Robert Garve and Tim Baker have been on more or less every release from the demos and onward, Jim Barraza played on Paradise Lost and Jarvis Leatherby is completely new. So this isn't just one of the members with completely new guys, but people who has been involved before and on classic releases. Have to say the song is superb. This should be good!

819291.jpg?2009

Crypt Dagger - From Below

https://dyingvictimsproductions.bandcamp.com/album/crypt-dagger-from-below

Black/speed/thrash in the vein of Venom, Bathory, old Slayer, Celtic Frost etc. Great shit!

29 minutes ago, Bear said:

Head of the Demon - Deadly Black Doom

Holy shit, I didn't know they had a new album in the works. Just made my week, thanks!

edit: the new song is great too. Can't wait!

Edited by Jigsaw9

831768.jpg?3534

Satan's Fall - Past Of

https://satansfall.bandcamp.com/album/past-of

After one excellent demo, EP and single Satan's Fall finally returns with their debut album. Old school sounding heavy/speed metal that sounds like a mix of Mercyful Fate and Satan. This album rips!

830484.jpg?5641

Horn - Mohngang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mJbL_LSwqY&feature=youtu.be

German pagan black metal with Nerrath/N/Barrage Beast from Cross Vault, Shrine, ex-Bulldozing Bastard. Very Drudkh and Waldgeflüster-esque with fantastic clean vocals. Really emotional and powerful. The band's never quite hit the spot, but always enjoyable nonetheless.

831906.jpg?3225

Evoker - Evil Torment

https://evokerofficial.bandcamp.com/track/exhumation-of-the-damned

Cool old school death metal from Australia. Not very original, but this new song rips. Really good.

Morbus Chron frontman/songwriter Robert Andersson took the name from Morbus Chron's last album Sweven and seems to just continue the sound from that album, but with more polished and better songwriting. Because this does sound better than Sweven. It sounds tighter, less random and more thought through. Really looking forward to this.

Been listening to these two Vargrav albums a lot lately. One-man band by V-Khaoz (Druadan Forest, V-Khaoz, ex-Azaghal, ex-Kalmankantaja etc) playing symphonic black metal much in the vein of the Emperor pre-In the Nightside Eclipse, old Limbonic Art, Odium, Sirius, Troll etc, as well as strong Covenant - In the Times Before the Light vibes. Think both are truly excellent, and the type of black metal we don't get enough of nowadays. Sorely miss this type of symphonic black metal.

Also this:

Immense cover! This is how you properly cover a song.

Alexi Laiho who's out of Children of Bodom has a new band after a big part of CoB left the band and denied him any use of the CoB name: Bodom After Midnight. That is a boring and uninspired name tbh. Would be cool if he started making something good again, but after 20 years of awful music I can't even in my wildest imaginations imagine that he'll suddenly make something good again. But weirder things have happened, I guess?

From that to this in less than 10 years:

Fucking disgraceful. Best Children of Bodom album post-Follow the Reaper is Norther's Dreams of Endless War, which sounds way closer to Children of Bodom than what their later albums did.

Sounds more like Children of Bodom's earlier albums, but without the flair and sense of melodies. Not nearly as good as Children of Bodom's three first, but way better than anything released later.

Out of Stockholm / Sweden comes SWEVEN, named after Morbus Chron’s final record. Founder Robert Andersson, previously the main songwriter of Morbus Chron, comments: ”Sweven was a record you shaped like any other, but it also ended up shaping me and my goals with music. It came to mean a lot of things personally. So when the time was ripe to form a new band and continue the journey, there were no other names even considered.”

SWEVEN’s debut album ”The Eternal Resonance” was in many ways a DIY project, with the assistance of Rasmus Booberg, who led the drum recording, and David Castillo, who helped out with the electric guitars. Mastering was handled by Magnus Lindberg of Redmount Studios. The cover artwork was crafted by Raul Gonzalez, who previously worked closely with Morbus Chron as well.

Robert states: ”To me it’s an old album by now, one which I’ve lived with for a long time. Like with most endeavours that you care deeply about, they tend to take longer than planned, and this was one of the more extreme cases. As I prepared to once again leap headfirst into a never-ending cycle of anger and frustration, I knew it had to stop. All things considered, I’m proud of this album. The songs mean the world to me. It is at this point the closest I’ve come to realising what I want to do musically. The biggest thank you to Isak and Jesper for pulling their weight and colouring this record in a profound way. You’ve been indispensable. Expect the unexpected.”

https://sweven.bandcamp.com/album/the-eternal-resonance

Incredible album. As expected it continues where Morbus Chron left, but it feels more focused, and it feels a bit more death metal. This is a must hear for fans of atmospheric/progressive death metal, the last Morbus Chron album, Tribulation and Opeth. Superb stuff!

834912.jpg?1108

Hail Spirit Noir - Eden in Reverse

The band had this to say on the new album: "This is the album we've spent the most time on. We started off doing some experiments without any idea where they could lead to. After the first 3-4 tracks, we realized we were onto something new for the band. We were no longer in the 60s-70s zone but more in the 70s-80s. The songs sounded retro-futuristic and surreal but they were also more prog, psychedelic and challenging than ever. In the lyrics, we re-wrote the story of Eden from a surreal, Richard Dawkins-esque, Darwinian point of view. The result was Eden in Reverse".

Finally! It's been four years since the excellent Mayhem in Blue, so I am looking forward to this. Since Mayhem in Blue they've added three new members who've performed with them live from 2016. A keyboardist, drummer and new vocalist. So they have two keyboardists now, and I wonder if the addition of a new vocalist means Theoharis won't do vocals anymore. Or is the new one just a singer, while Theoharis will continue with the harsh vocals?

Looking forward to this for sure!

Oh yes, awesome! From the intro I totally get the "We were no longer in the 60s-70s zone but more in the 70s-80s. The songs sounded retro-futuristic and surreal" that they said. This should be damn good.

Igorrr released another baroque-core beauty, "Spirituality and Distortion". It's less straightforward than their last album, but still isn't as chaotic as their earlier works. Still, it's a refreshing breath of air within the metal scene.

Full album

Really digging this band. I wish more Black Metal bands had this good of a production, most of them sound like they have been recording on a Casio calculator.

The vocalist comes from a Deathcore background, which explains why I'm liking this so much.

836129.jpg?5531

The Funeral Orchestra - Negative Evocation Rites

Finally a new album from TFO. Released their debut in 2003, and since then they've only released an EP and two splits/singles (the singles are just the tracks off the splits). Funeral doom featuring Nicklas "Terror" Rudolfsson of Runemagick, Rapid Terrör, Sacramentum, Necrocurse etc. Got high expectations for this.

837741.jpg?5958

Paysage d'Hiver - Das Gletschertor / Das schwarze Metall-Eisen

Kunsthall Productions is re-releasing the more than excellent Paysage d'Hiver and Lunar Aurora split, with some extra material of course. It'll include the two Lunar Aurora demos as well as two "new" Paysage d'Hiver tracks. The two Paysage d'Hiver tracks will also be released as an EP. These two tracks are from the Schattengang sessions, which is old Paysage d'Hiver. I can't wait for this!