Zeus

Disbanded Favorites/Bands That You Miss So Much

I can't help but think I'm the only one that has disbanded bands blocked into a section of his brains separate from other bands. How does everyone else view them? Are any of your favorite bands disbanded? Do you find yourself avoiding getting into disbanded bands because of the lack of new releases? Are there any bands that you used to listen to actively before they disbanded and now hardly listen to?

I used to actively avoid bands that disbanded because I liked getting into a band and following bands as they released new material. I couldn't get the experience of being a fan of a disbanded band because there was very little hope that most of them would come back and make more music. As I get older though, I start appreciating older bands for their static discography and the knowledge that if it's especially good they can't do anything to screw it up (like Amesoeurs). As for me, I now no longer listen to UnsraW and VanessA anymore even though I used to listen to them both often this time last year. On the same note, I only truly started appreciating HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR after their disbandment.

Does anyone else have any stories? ^_____^

It's pretty much a given that you stop listening to bands that are disbanded, the hype and euphoria surroudning that band is removes as soon as they disband as there is no new releases or news to look forward to. Human nature allows us to move on lol. E.g. PIERROT, Aliene Ma'raige, Phantasmagoria, GHOST (and MANY others) for me. Still love them, but havent heard them in AGES because of all the new music active bands produce.

either bands or groups, all the same. It will be heart breaking for awhile, but will not last forever.

When i first encounter such thing, i was only in second year of Junior High.

At that time, Geri was departing from Spice Girls.

And i was just get into them when this happened.

I still remember i was just bought their second album few months before.

It surely breaking my heart, a new feeling for me.

because i knew a group contains of five peoples will never be the same anymore.

Though they've been trying to keep it up with only four peoples for couple of years or so,

it's not the same energy without the head strong "leader" Geri.

Spice Girls finally disbanded when i was in first year of High School.

And by that time, i have met new peoples and helped me to expand my music preferences.

Spice Girls slowly dying, and i slowly fading away as well.

Especially there was so many new acts coming up, that helped me for moving on.

A classmates introduced me to Eminem and Marilyn Manson. MTV introduced me to Utada Hikaru.

And by the second year, i started get into VK.

And only back listening to Spice Girls again when they were having reunion tour and

releasing best album. They were all grew up and a mother now (except for Mel.C that the only spice that haven't married and having baby at that time) and i only listened and went to their show for the sheer of memories. Songs that take me back to happy days where i don't have much responsibility. And will always be like that, time changes everything and everyone. But memories are cherished for eternity.

Except for BUCK-TICK (and now Luna Sea) more or less all my favourite japanese bands are disbanded, lol.

Anyway, I can't say it matters to me, neither for bands that I already liked when active, nor bands that I discovered after disbandmant. I never really gave it a second thought. Good music is good music, even if the band is no longer active, and if I just got into a (disbanded) band, their music is as new to me as if they just freshly released it anyway.

I don't really distinguish between disbanded or active bands in terms of my listening habits. I can get a sort of personal "hype" or desire to listen to any artist, be it active or inactive. It all just depends on the vibes I get, I guess.

I had to give it some thought and came to the conclusion that only one of my favourite Japanese bands is disbanded (merry go round), although plenty of others are now on hiatus. Most of them are quietly active and continue to release fresh material.

It doesn't matter to me if a band is disbanded, stagnant, or on an indefinite hiatus. Sure, I'm sad when I find out there won't be any more music, but I can love and listen to what they have released with zeal. I can still find pleasure in purchasing their CDs because I'm a shameless collector and, more often than not, I can follow their new bands. The excitement of a new release is the only thing missing, really.

But music is timeless.

Favourite musicians retiring from music, though. That blows.

i think 50% of my fav are disbanded.

it really breaks my heart that i 'll never listen from their music again.

i mean it's ok from vanessa or random indies.i don't care really (although i feel happy if the musicians don't disappear and i hear news from them again)

but from bands like rentrer en soi or kagerou it's really hard

feels awful

(if it's one of the millions disbanded indies with 2 singles. now of course i avoid starting listening to them.)

Good music is good music, disbanded or not. So it's not something that I care about. I listen to just as many disbanded bands as active bands, and nowdays I discover just as many discovered bands as active bands. And if an album/EP/single/demo was good before the disbandment, then it's just as good after the disbandment. The music won't change just because the band isn't active anymore.

And I don't care if the disbanded band released one demo, one single, one EP or 45 albums. If it's good I'll keep listening to it since it's...well, good.

And I don't care if the disbanded band released one demo, one single, one EP or 45 albums. If it's good I'll keep listening to it since it's...well, good.

i agree but in the case when i wonder what else to buy or download to try it.

now i avoid the disbanded and so many indies with one single. i feel it's useless and why to put your self thinking:"oh damn i'll never listen to them again"

i'll prefer new bands.

i wasn't like this when i first started listening to jrock but now i changed.

of course there is always the exception if something is really good

A few years ago I used to listen to nothing but mid90's tranny bands, but now my taste has diversified thankfully, so I listen to some active bands, as well as mostly non-glorious-nihon slutcore. Which is mostly active stuff. idk idk.

When i first encounter such thing, i was only in second year of Junior High.

At that time, Geri was departing from Spice Girls.

And i was just get into them when this happened.

I still remember i was just bought their second album few months before.

It surely breaking my heart, a new feeling for me.

because i knew a group contains of five peoples will never be the same anymore.

Though they've been trying to keep it up with only four peoples for couple of years or so,

it's not the same energy without the head strong "leader" Geri.

my creys

A few years ago I tried to avoid disbanded bands because I didn´t wanted to love something that I´d never be able to see or hear live. And now, from all the bands I like, probably about 50~75% is disbanded >< I just got over it, and now I don´t care anymore that I´ll never hear anything new from them again. As you already said, that way they can´t screw it up xD

I think the fact that a band is disbanded seems to be more significant in vk anyway, because in vk you are used to get a constant flow of releases - small releases usually (singles, mini-album), but they pop up every few months. If a vk band hasn't released anything for over half a year, people start to wonder. A year without release and the band is practically declared dead (there are exceptions of course, especially for more well-established bands).

In western rock/metal waiting two, three or more years for a new release isn't that uncommon. Of course it still hurts when you officially hear that there will be no more new stuff, but I think it's still different because you never had the expectation of being showered with new stuff every few months anyway. If you already accepted that there won't be any new stuff for the next 2-3 years it's maybe easier to accept that there won't be any new stuff at all. The absence of new stuff isn't felt that quickly as in vk.

I don't really distinguish between disbanded or active bands in terms of my listening habits. I can get a sort of personal "hype" or desire to listen to any artist, be it active or inactive. It all just depends on the vibes I get, I guess.

This mostly. Of course it's more fun if a band is active and I can see them live and await for new music but in terms of just listening to a band it doesn't really cross my mind if they're disbanded or not.

When I'm listening to a new-to-me band generally speaking the only thing I tend to know about said band is what their genre is suppose to be, I don't really lookup more info and I'm mostly just introduced to the music (this is almost always due to laziness on my part though =3). So if a band is disbanded I don't really find out until somewhere down the road, so there's no real effect on whether I'll begin listening to a band based on their activity status.

When I think of my favorite bands none of them are really disbanded. My favorite band ever did disband once but they came back so...yea. When it happened though, I couldn't listen to them for maybe about a year because of the heartbreak, but after that they got put back into normal rotation.

I still listen to quite a few disbanded units (kagerou, res, soroban, pierrot, etc.), and a lot of times their music is dramatically better than new bands with old members

(pierrot is the prime example, can't stand both angelo, alvino and lmc, especially angelo)

some bands, however, should have disbanded early and never some back ( = ayabie, and a lot of current vindies)

whether a band is disbanded or not has no effect on my listening. A well crafted album will always be as such. I'm still discovering bands that disbanded in the 80's 90's that were quite good and have shit to offer! Though I do agree with above that it is nice to follow a band as they're release and have some anticipation towards releases, but TBH it doesn't matter. One of my favorite bands Guniw Tools I didn't know about until a few years after they disbanded. Still miss deadman and RES...

I still listen to quite a few disbanded units (kagerou, res, soroban, pierrot, etc.), and a lot of times their music is dramatically better than new bands with old members

(pierrot is the prime example, can't stand both angelo, alvino and lmc, especially angelo)

some bands, however, should have disbanded early and never some back ( = ayabie, and a lot of current vindies)

Awww, I agree Pierrot is clearly better than the three, but Angelo is quite good as well IMO. Much better than boring alvino and terrible LMC.

Many of my favorite bands are disbanded, or on hiatus, or severely inactive so I guess I'm used to the lack of updates and releases, although I might follow their old members' blogs or solo careers if I'm so moved, such as with Number Girl and other indie and metal bands. I don't hesitate to get into any band if they appeal to me, so being disbanded isn't a deterring factor. I get into a band because they make good music, not because I have the ability to stalk their every activity (although that is fun sometimes, don't get me wrong ^^). Occasionally, bands will decide to start up again years later and I'll regret not looking into their old stuff, especially if they were legendary.

necrophilia

YES! lol

Good music is good music, disbanded or not. So it's not something that I care about. I listen to just as many disbanded bands as active bands, and nowadays I discover just as many disbaned bands as active bands.

Agreed! I'm always on the hunt for new music, and by "new", I mean music that's new to me - not necessarily recently released music. It does indeed suck when you discover an awesome band that's no longer active, but that doesn't make their existing material any less enjoyable. ;]

So yeah, I don't really look at bands in terms of active or disbanded ^^;;

I love lots of disbanded bands, as well as quite a few active ones. Sometimes I feel bands that have broken up are easier to get into: you don't have any expectations or anticipations of new releases, you can see how they progress from release to release, and you can just enjoy their work as a whole.

I use to be SUPER into VK around 2003 on.

A lot of the bands I really loved are no longer around and I've been listening to them all a lot lately.

Who are some of your favorite bands that are no longer together?

mine are:

1. Soroban
  2. Eimy
  3. PureQ&A
  4. AICLE
  5. Tarrot
  6. Maruru
  7. ラッド
  8. pizzcato.
  9. Hime Ichigo
  10. Kazoku
  11. Alumi Land
  12. Canzel
  13. Order Made
  14. Kamikaze Shounendan
  15. GIVUSS

In no particular order though.

1. VURNY

2. bis

3. ELLEGARDEN

4. Administrator

5. aim

Those that I can think of atm. Might come up with some more later.

1. A`letza

2. Fenril

3. Maruru

4. Fuzylog

5. ネオロックンロールスタ→☆エース

6. Solaris.★

7. バギーボギー

9.juggler

Aliene Ma'riage

BOØWY

deadman

Dear Bitch