CAT5

Your Musical Pet Peeves...

This is kind of a counter-thread to the "Types of music you have a weakness for" topic.

I'm sure there are certain things in music that manage to annoy you in some way. So what does the job for you?

One of my MAJOR pet peeves are synth strings. Seriously, If you have to use snyth strings, THEN DON'T. There are very few instances where I find them tasteful. To me, electronically generated instruments will NEVER be able to replace the real thing...so they shouldn't be used as such. Unless you're dealing with some REALLY authentic sounding electronic strings or you're one hell of a manipulator, it's going to sound pretty cheesy imo. ^^;

I'll list more when they come to mind...

Your turn!

Triggered drums. My god, TRIGGERED DRUMS!!!!

Technical music ala Dream Theater, Necrophagist, Spawn of Possession and so on.

Way to clean productions. Tends to take away all the feeling and power out of an album.

I probably have more but I need to think. Haha!

One of my MAJOR pet peeves are synth strings. Seriously, If you have to use snyth strings, THEN DON'T. There are very instances where I find them tasteful. To me, electronically generated instruments will NEVER be able to replace the real thing...so they shouldn't be used as such. Unless you're dealing with some REALLY authentic sounding electronic strings or you're one hell of a manipulator, it's going to sound pretty cheesy imo. ^^;

preach

also that really twangy and brittle sound vk guitarists used towards the late 90's. Hate it.

(Jump to 0:59)

d_-Xzrg2x1k

High-pitched vocalists. Doesn't matter if it's a girl or a guy (though it's obviously relative for each gender), chances are that I won't like it. Especially if it's high-pitched and nasal.

Bad growling/harsh vocals. Either you do it right, or you don't.

Autotune

Random rapping where it doesn't fit.

Rapping in rock/ metal.

From what I've heard, it has never successfully worked.

Plus, Asian ENGRISH rapping is that much more irritating to me.

Besides that, all the ridiculous "cores". Crunkcore, trancecore... Just stop it!

Seconded. Even though I liked DM's albums 'Train Of Thought' and 'Images and Words', and I think that they are very talented and technical musicians, but they are just unable to write _intresting_ songs - I don't care that their drummer is the best prog-rock drummer, and so on, most of their songs are only technical masturbation for me. I get the same feeling listening to some The Dilinger Escape Plan songs too.

Nearly the whole trance genre. (Psytrance is an exception.) Maybe my hate for trance roots in my gymnasium days, when one of my classmates/friends, who was crazy about Tiesto used to play us trance songs at nearly every house party, even though we hated it, but still, I couldn't get into it. It's just not my cup of tea.

Crunkcore = instant headshot.

...and it's not really the music, but it makes me want to die, when a person complains, that classical music is better than any other musical style, because it's _classical music_, and you use violin, piano and such, instead of drums or guitar. I understand, if a person finds classical music more pleasing to the ears, but this kind of singing is just snobism in my eyes.

Seconded. Even though I liked DM's albums 'Train Of Thought' and 'Images and Words', and I think that they are very talented and technical musicians, but they are just unable to write _intresting_ songs - I don't care that their drummer is the best prog-rock drummer, and so on, most of their songs are only technical masturbation for me. I get the same feeling listening to some The Dilinger Escape Plan songs too.

My thoughts exactly. I find Train Of Thought, but that's it. And I dislike The Dilinger Escape Plan as well, except for one single song which is damn good.

But for, at least, it won't help a musician to be technical and all that if he fail to write what I see as interesting songs. And most of them tends to lack what I see as emotion in their playing as well. But I do enjoy stuff such as Death, though. But bands that seem to play just to show off their skills kinda suck. Not my plate with old cheese at all. :3

Long intros with talking, cars driving, wind, thunder or whatever. I can deal with maybe 10 seconds of it but once it's 20 or more seconds FUCK THAT SHIT! Time to edit that song and remove the pointless minute and a half of stupid bullshit. I also hate stupid long breaks in the middle of a song that consist of stupid talking, creepy footsteps on old wooden floors, thunder, rain and various stupid bullshit. Again I can deal with it, if it's 10 seconds or less but anymore then that FUCK THAT SHIT!

Also rapping - doesn't matter if it's even good or not the moment the singer even remotely raps DEAD TO ME FOREVER.

Turn tables and too much electronics. I don't mind some, as long as it's more rock then techno but when it's almost all electronic then I'm not so fond of it. This is real hit or miss, I will sometimes love some of that heavily electronic rock stuff but other times I'll just hate it. It's kind of a gray area for me.

One of my MAJOR pet peeves are synth strings. Seriously, If you have to use snyth strings, THEN DON'T. There are very few instances where I find them tasteful. To me, electronically generated instruments will NEVER be able to replace the real thing...so they shouldn't be used as such. Unless you're dealing with some REALLY authentic sounding electronic strings or you're one hell of a manipulator, it's going to sound pretty cheesy imo. ^^;

This so much.

-The whole over-vibrato thing. I hate it to my very core.

-Screaming (growling) for screaming/"badassery" sake (especially if you're bad at it).

-Anything about a band that incites the reaction out of me to start rolling my eyes and mocking them with an "Oh look how evil and badass we are grrr, we're so kvlt and dark and anti-establishment, fuck off mr.religion blahblah muther-fucking blah." It could be a number of things though that start that so I figure I'll just underline it with that statement.

-The whole VK monotone thing.

-Really shit production. Doesn't have to be perfect production but I do have a limit.

-Someone mentioned it but the whole technical thing. It's really cool and all that you're a virtuoso but If I don't actually feel anything from your music it's pointless.

-Auto-tune used poorly. I think Auto-tune has a place in music but when you make a song and filter all the vocals heavily in auto-tune, it's a problem.

probably more but then I'd be late to class D:

Extremely bad attemps at big orchestrations. I love orchestrations to the max but when they are done poorly or overused they suck huge nuts.

cliche, jazzy on metal. wtf man.

edit:

like, parts of jazz on one song after some guitar shreds here and there.

or the whole fail jazzy track on a full rock album, making it feel so out of place

more like shitty filler than a solid track.

every musician have the rights to do experiments, i agree.

But do it with some common sense, please.

Death growls - probably my top pet peeve

Gothwave and any "horror" genres

Weird distortion on vocals, especially in certain visual kei music (Luna Sea's "Civilize" has good examples of what I mean)

Nasally, deep visual kei-type vocals (Gackt and Kamijo are exceptions)

An unholy combination of the above

Most psychedelic/blues rock (most of it is boring, sorry)

Songs longer than five minutes

Most "progressive" or "technical" genres of metal

Country pop and country pop singing

Japanese female pop singers (like Puffy Ami Yumi types)

Excessive fail Engrish (there are days . . .)

99% trademark aspects of black metal

"Clicky" drums

Bad growling/harsh vocals. Either you do it right, or you don't.

Autotune

Random rapping where it doesn't fit.

These, although I might change it to excessive autotune. If used correctly and not to mask horrendous lack of talent, then it's not so bad.

Um, as for my own contributions... I hate cheesy lyrics. If the song is cheesy, cheesy lyrics are fine. If it's not and it's a legitimate attempt to be poetic or offensive but just sounds cheesy, I hate it.

Emphasising 'fuck' like it's in the song because swearing is cool.

Katy Perry. Not so much a pet peeve as outright rage

Warbling. Bad vibrato (or as doe put it "over-vibrato"). The staple of VK. I hate it. Vocalists that try too hard. Also that cheap-sounding, "my drumkit is shit", clipping, "clanging" thing. Too braindead to explain it more eloquently.

Oshare kei. And I generally dislike most music described as "___core". I tend to avoid it. That's about it. :urg:

Excessive fail Engrish

THIS sooooo much! In some cases, I can tolerate Engrish - especially when the music is too good to ignore (bands like susquatch and lillies and remains come to mind).

But it's mostly something that shouldn't be done. =/

Most of these deal with people, rather than bands, but they're pet peeves no less:

-When bands are ultra popular but only have a few songs I like to listen to (and only sometimes at that) like, but people still act like they're better than me for listening to them, Coheed and Cambria. I only like maybe 4 of their songs, but they still have legions of fans in the US. Ironically most of them only like the same 4 songs I like but I don't even consider myself to be a fan :lol:

-When people are "fans" of a band but never buy their music, never actively follow them, and actually only listen to one song of theirs and are insulted when you show them their current music.

-How there is usually a gap in visual-kei for bands that release like 6 songs and break up, and then bands that release six singles and mini-albums a year. Why is there no happy medium? :emo:

-When people misuse the word generic in place of "I didn't care for this song / single," because that's everyone's default for not liking something. See also: Versailles' shoutbox, 02/15/2011 ~ 02/20/2011 among 29395252432 other examples here.

-When I think bands are strong musically until their vocalist opens their mouth, like Synside and Cu[be] (although I'm still giving the later a chance).

-Melancholy-nagoya stuff (I don't even know what to call it) music. Sorry, but 9Goats, Fatima, Moran and Emmuree really aren't for me : /

-Uncalled for falsettos. See also: How Juka ruined his career.

-When people all-of-a-sudden stop being a fan and act like they don't know anything about whatever they disowned. I mean seriously, 6 months ago you wrote about how this band changed your life and now you "can't even remember" the vocalists name? :| Please.

-Katy Perry when she isn't singing about lesbians.

-Annoyingly monotone voices that try to cover up their boringness by making their music eccentric. System of a Down and Mindless Self Indulgence (which is pretty much the same thing as SoaD but with synth parts and vaginas).

-When bands have one song that's $TIWNGWI$WN FAAWESOME and then the rest of their songs aren't D:

-Trance-core. I don't know why so many not-visual-indie bands are doing this, but they're not really doing it well. I like metal-core and I like trance, but, for some reason, when they put it together it just doesn't sound...good.

-VK bands with proper English. Why would you do that? You're supposed to have Engrish and Japench in your songs: I live for that shit man :(

-Songs about eating glitter and fucking strangers

-When people complain about metal bands stealing from other bands but RnB on the radio more-or-less sounds exactly the same but no one cares.

-When people hate on things for being popular without even really knowing anything they're hating on. My roommate doesn't like Gackt and I'm pretty sure he's only listened to him like once. His friend asked him if Gackt was any good because he's really into Gundam (as are both him and my roommate). My roommate said "Not really," and no everytime they see a picture of "Gackt Gundam" his friend talks about how much Gackt sucks. I'm not a huge fan of him myself, but I try to at least know what the fuck I'm talking about before I complain about something :

-When vocalists make solo careers. By solo careers I mean a solo album that's pretty much the same, sappy, ballad-infested "solo" album that fits into the same genre as their previous band (just at "-light" to the end of the genre) and which they probably didn't even write. Jui (although his album hasn't come out yet. Basing this on his first pv), Satsuki, Tarjaa, Juka, etc.

It might be because I'm only running on 5 hours a sleep, but I stared at Subliminal's signature for at least 5 minutes while writing this.

Also, apparently I have a lot of pet-peeves.

-When people are "fans" of a band but never buy their music, never actively follow them, and actually only listen to one song of theirs and are insulted when you show them their current music.

This. It infuriates me.

Also my signature is adorably entrancing. :wub:

Strong leads into shit strong structures

Random Time Signatures

Really long solo's of anything

Songs with solo's that have no creativity at all

Extremely Deep Vocals

Bands that use power chords way too much(Or a whole song)

"Core" Vocals

Really uninspired or just for the hell of it breakdowns because we has to dance!

Autotune used wrong

99% of cover songs

DUBSTEP

For me there's good music and then there's bad music and pretty much nothing in between. So I can't pick single bits and pieces.

BUT

-Power metal

-Trash metal

-Anything with pointless shredding. I mean making music should about MAKING MUSIC, not showing off how much you've practiced. Because I don't care. Either you're born with creative musicality or not, practice won't give it to you.

-Trance

-Sounding like other bands. Unless you can bring something new to the table or at least your own heart then don't bother.

-Idiots. But I've yet to be drawn to anything made my those, so I guess it's impossible to hide.

DUBSTEP

LOL THIS

Fuck durpstep

Jesus christ yes. In the last two years every 16-19 year old who discovered e mentions dubstep and it needs to stop now.

Engrish is even worse when the music is amazing. I think that's the only reason I listen to the Revenant Choir by Versailles because that Engrish Kamijo does throughout the whole song makes me want to brickstone him , even though I love him as a vocalist :/

Engrish is even worse when the music is amazing. I think that's the only reason I listen to the Revenant Choir by Versailles because that Engrish Kamijo does throughout the whole song makes me want to brickstone him , even though I love him as a vocalist :/

Oh yeah, I fucking hate the shit out of that song because Kamijo sounds so terrible. Not because his singing was bad but because he just sounded stupid. It doesn't even sound like English, it just sounds like he's trying to speak with marbles coming out of his mouth while underwater. Kamijo isn't the only one guilty of this - pretty much every Japanese band I have ever heard ever that tries to sing purely in English sounds like crap, except Galneryus.