Total Saikou

How to save your MH post history

(I'm not sure where this topic belongs so I'm putting it here) I was curious about how to save my history here so I found that this is the method that works for me :D I discussed this with @platy and she said it would be a good idea to write up a tutorial in case anyone else would like to do the same. I understand that there will be an archive but I’m not sure how comprehensive it will be (though I've an idea, they usually look something like this), so I felt like I should back it up myself just in case.  

Some forums have a “download/export” button for users to download history with (usually BBC code style forums [you know the ones] have these for threads). However, you can still easily export your history into different formats with Google Chrome.

Before we begin: I’m converting my history into a complete HTML webpage. What does that mean for how my history will appear?

What you keep in addition to your words: Emojis, tags, reactions, a banner, some of your cover photo and people’s avatars will stay intact

What you lose: Videos, pictures, the ability to go to the next page, to see hidden responses, to leave the page you are currently on.

Warning: Long posts get truncated so if you posted a huge response that you want to save in its entirety, you have three options:

1. Right click on the desired page in your content history page and choose “View page source”. On the page source, MH will be turned into a mess of plain HTML BUT your posts will be in full. Proceed to save this page.
  2. Save the thread as a whole (Follow the numbered process below but on a thread instead)

3. Copy/paste into Google Docs

I’m not sure how else to save truncated posts or how to make this process easier for our veteran users. It takes like 5-10 seconds to download one page so my own history (16 pages @300-ish posts) doesn’t seem that daunting to me but if you have thousands of posts then it sounds like a hassle. If anyone with better insight can suggest something better, please do! 
Let’s begin!

1. Let’s start at your profile. If you want to save your profile as it appears right now, right click on anything that isn’t a picture/discussion box and press “save as”

2. Here, you can choose three save options. I suggest saving as “Webpage, complete” so your profile has pictures and the like. These pages only take up like 300kb so it’s really no extra strain on your computer to save them like this over the other formats. You also get a separate folder for elements like reaction.pngs, the banners, and people’s profile pictures! You may choose to save as HTML (no pics) or as a single file only as well. Okay, now you’ve got your profile forever encapsulated on your hard drive. However, that will only include some of your recent posts, let’s get all of them.

3. Click on “See your activity” in the right hand side under your cover photo. If you saved your profile like earlier, then try again here to download this page’s worth of posts. You can also choose what to save in the left-hand box, if you just want your forum replies etc. then choose that option.

4. Awesome! Now you’ve got your first page saved. However, that will just be one page. You need to go to the next page and repeat the process until you feel satisfied. Do not forget to change the name of your page when you try to download it. You can change it into whatever you like, such as “[user]’s content 2” or “My posts part 2” but you need to make sure that it’s different so that it won’t overwrite