Himeaimichu

Visual Kei Archive Project

Well, since MH is closing, I thought I'd finally begin work on this project. For years, MH was THE place to get high quality downloads of rare bands. However, since MH is, well, dying, so much Visual Kei will be purged from the internet. To make up for that, I've decided to start work on a project to sort of replace MH in that regard. But, I cannot do this on my own, which is why I'm asking for your help.

If you're interested, join my discord server where we'll organize things

https://discord.gg/mFeJ6C3Yvm

11 hours ago, seys said:

I mean there's jpopsuki with almost everything... And this site will still be archived, no?

I've been a member of Jpopsuki for a long time and there's still lots of rare and obscure music that showed up here that have not and probably will never show up at jpopsuki.

If you're looking for the latest popular band, then yes, jpopsuki has you covered.
If you're looking for music from the 80s or 90s, then I would say both sites were equally as important to check.

Edited by carddass

Most of the uploads on MH have already been dead for a while, and I guess this applies to the blogspots as well. I got used to it. Now you can find all the normiecore + some more from Jpopsuki and I appreciate that they got FLACs of all the essentials. The canon will be there for everyone to have, but the ultra rarez will now once more return to those who bought them and their friends. It's probably coming from a position privilege in this matter, but I don't mind that this shit isn't available for all the noobs to consume. 

The links may be dead but with a quick PM to the original poster or the many people who downloaded it, I've found that you could often get someone generous enough to upload it again. I would say it worked for me 50% of the times here, not bad when I consider some of the downloads I asked about had been dead for years.

For the rarer/obscure releases, the dead link on these pages aren't so much of the tragedy to me, it's often the information by the original poster and the subsequent conversation that is just as important. When I'm on the hunt for the music or want to find out more about the band, all of those scraps of information help considering there's little to no information in English about a lot of the bands that have been discussed here, whether it's the download page, a news article or even someone who sold something 10 years ago here, it all made a difference in knowing what was out there.

When the average shelf life of a fan is a few years, it's almost critical the posts stay alive because the people who posted them are long gone.  With a death of a forum, most of that deeper stuff gets lost and very unlikely to be carried over by anybody to the next place. I've seen many come and go over the last 20 years and something like discords, which is seemingly the direction newer fans are taking to share information, will never really act like a good substitute to the dusty old forum platform IMO.

And I agree, as someone who trawls discogs, YJA, mercari, and Japanese webshops for a vinyl, CD or tape, I don't mind that everyone doesn't have download access to everything. If people really want it, they'll find a way to buy it but the information is the part that needs to stay alive and accessible. Again, having seen many forums and websites come and go, there's plenty of things (YJA listings, images, html files, etc) I've saved about a particular band that I could never find again.