Demivee

MUCC SATOち leaves the band

Ok that came out of nowhere and I'm kinda shocked. 

Drummer SATOち will leave MUCC in early 2021. The band will continue without him.

He will retire as a professonial drummer from there on.

SATOち was in MUCC since their debut in 1997.

Official Website

Edited by Demivee

MUCC has just announced that drummer SATOchi will be leaving the band and retiring from musical activities in spring 2021. The exact date of his departure is as-of-yet unknown. Based on his comment, he told the rest of the band about this back in May. He also says that there were lots of good/bad times but he regrets nothing.

SATOchi's as well as the other members' comments can be read in Japanese HERE.

edit: Sorry, I just saw someone else made a thread just before mine, please delete this one.

Edited by Jigsaw9

I've found MUCC has been getting progressively worse and worse for the past decade, but still it will be weird/sad to think of them without SATOchi... He always seemed like a fun/cool dude too. Hoping he'll find happiness in whatever the future has in store for him (I'm not realistically hoping anything for MUCC, they're beyond help by now).

Edited by Jigsaw9

Definitely odd to see an original member leave after so long. But hope his retirement and the band work out :p.

And mucc definitely is a hit-or-miss farm.

[Let's not forget how much they loved to self-cover, release literal demo tapes, and the likes. And the engrish, literally ruined a number of songs I would have loved otherwise like JUSTICE from their most recent album.]

Definitely need to make a playlist though.

Favorite album will always be Houyoku as the album that got me into them. [Despite it being lower on most people's lists].

Just now, Tokage said:

Would be better if the entire band followed suit and retired too at this point 2bh

When I think of drummers retiring that took the band with them, I'm always reminded of Sel'm...

Though he had back issues, so can't really blame him, except for that fact they promised an album, but instead months after the expected date they disbanded. Oh well.

Gotta find a mucc discography download now.

Really loved this band until Kowareta Piano which was a huge flop for me 

sad they had to cancel their EU tour though, would've liked to see them one last time with this lineup since they're still very good live. 

Will 2020 stop at no one? 

Anyway, can't see this changing Mucc too drastically, iirc Sato didn't compose much if any of their music. Still though, it's sad to see one of the OG members leaving.

Member leaves band  after 23 years and retires from music and instead of people lamenting that it's just a bunch of shit posts trashing him and the band. I don't get it... Well, actually I kinda do since some of you are a gimmick/act at this point. Just way too damn negative. 

Anyway... Surreal news because I was listening to their earlier stuff like 2 days ago and looking at their earlier photo shoots and those really young pics of them in the AISHUU booklet and thought to myself holy shit these guys have longevity.  I was appreciating how they've stuck together over the years and then I wake up to this news today. What a coincidence.

2020 has been wild between Kenichi leaving Merry, Ryo leaving Baroque and retiring from music, and now this latest succession and retirement... Like, what is he going to do now? I'm surprised he's leaving music entirely.

https://musicbrainz.org/artist/d293c00d-015d-4aae-9b76-b5754c63f6d3/works

He composed some pretty great songs: KINSENKA, NUKEGARA, MEDIA NO JUUSEI, REQUIEM, MAE E, HOTARU etc...

40 minutes ago, Kiyoharu is God said:

I'm surprised he's leaving music entirely.

considering mucc has been serving a low-budget nostalgia act for the past decade, and I can't name a single successful band consisting from legacy retirees; he probably saw a better opportunity elsewhere.

I won't be surprised if he simply moves onto band management from now like a lot of other artists did in the past, thus telling his stans to have no expectations of him pursuing a stage career in advance.

1 hour ago, MissConduct said:

Wait, what? 

How did I miss that ? 

It was announced like two or three months ago. Something about Ryo being too physically and mentally drained to go on with music for the time being if I remember correctly.

Whoa, that is so left field, I can barely process it... 23 years with MUCC, though! SATOち has been in that band longer than like 90% of marriages. He's been an integral part of the MUCC experience and I'm sad to see him go. But I hope he stays happy and healthy though, the bandoman should always come before the bando. As the Japanese would say, お疲れ様でしたSATOちさん!

I was somewhat shocked when i read it. Mucc was one of those groups that stayed so long without member changes. 
They are maybe not the most awesome band (that depends on your personal taste too). But there is a lot of stuff from them i like. 

I don't have the knowledge to judge if Satochi was a good drummer or not, but he belonged to the band. I am also quite sure that they were attuned to each other (do i say it like this? 🤔