Elagabalus

Jrock vets teach me your ways

VK is such an expansive genre that it might be easier if you tell us genre's you already like. 

Luna Sea are a great starting point because whilst X Japan are considered the founders of Visual Kei, Luna Sea really crafted the genre and were quite ahead of their time.

Merry are another group that I'd massively recommended , quite a few different styles in their music but they're imo one of the most unique VK groups, if I had to I'd say they're a hard rock/punk group but they've got a lot of jazz influences.

I'd recommend their greatest hits albums because you'll get the full scope of their music.

1 hour ago, Elagabalus said:

What bands would you prefer to someone who's never heard of jrock or vk

Cause I'm that guy

It really depends on your own musical taste....

I do not recommend so many bands people love.  😂

For the current vkei bands I like

i.D.A

NETH PRIERE CAIN

DAMMITLAND

REIREI

Nurie

ASTAROTH (but will, guess disband soon -_- )

SARRMATH

I simply don't recommend any mainstream vkei band.

the gazette, merry, xjapan, luna sea.

I personally think XJAPAN is really boring. How often I listen, I cannot feel what people feel. I don't understand why this band is so hyped... But well it was SHAZNA who make visual kei popular in Japan, it wasn't XJAPAN 🤣  you can read that in an interview, over here on the board.  And nope XJAPAN were not the only founders of visual kei.. the guy who started the SHOXX magazine gave life to it, including all bands who appeared inside the early issues😁

33 minutes ago, BrenGun said:

I personally think XJAPAN is really boring. How often I listen, I cannot feel what people feel. I don't understand why this band is so hyped... But well it was SHAZNA who make visual kei popular in Japan, it wasn't XJAPAN 🤣  you can read that in an interview, over here on the board.  And nope XJAPAN were not the only founders of visual kei.. the guy who started the SHOXX magazine gave life to it, including all bands who appeared inside the early issues😁

That's cool, I think with X Japan they're the kind of group that may seem boring to some but need to be respected for what they were doing, it's similar to what J Dilla did for hip-hop, it was new and ground breaking at the time. Can't say I know much about Shazna but I'd argue the likes of X Japan, Buck-Tick and D'erlanger had quite a lot of involvement in making VK popular

1 hour ago, Manabu said:

That's cool, I think with X Japan they're the kind of group that may seem boring to some but need to be respected for what they were doing, it's similar to what J Dilla did for hip-hop, it was new and ground breaking at the time. Can't say I know much about Shazna but I'd argue the likes of X Japan, Buck-Tick and D'erlanger had quite a lot of involvement in making VK popular

check the Nagasawa Tomonori interview.

sure xjapan had some involvement, but it was Shazna who succeeded to make it accepted to the mainstream.  it wasn't xjapan.  SHAZNA is the king of vkei. 

Of course I do respect XJAPAN, but doesn't mean that their music was really amazing.  I think they kept vkei alive. people forgot shazna but not xjapan.

btw, Hide's solo projects where far more amazing than any xjapan release😅

7 hours ago, Elagabalus said:

Cause I'm that guy

I think it kind of depends on where the person is coming from.

Metal Crowd: Versailles, Jupiter, Matenrou Opera, X (First 2 albums only)

Pop or those that just want to see Kawaii J-Rockers: They might like Oshare Kei bands, ViVid, vNue, DaizyStripper

Regular rock fans: Gazette, Mejibray, Phantasmagoria, Dezert, Miyavi

Somebody else can chime in with more emo bands, I only ever followed Sadie

We have tons of chug-chug bands. We got some indie sounding bands too.

As mentioned above, it depends on what kind of music you like. When my friend first introduced me to VK about 14 years ago, she was into bands like Alice Nine and Antique Cafe but they aren't my cup of tea  as I've always had a thing for darker aesthetics. I then by chance stumbled across Velvet Eden and have been in love with them ever since (before the reunion...) . But I'm aware their music is not for everyone and I've come to like many different bands with time though so I think it's about finding the right songs.

Most recomended

Velvet Eden - Sad Mask , Schwarz Stein - Release Me, Malice Mizer - Syunikiss, BUCK-TICK - Kain, Közi - Memento

I prefer deep songs 

Sometimes about fantasy but still close to emotions 

Honestly as long as its lyrics are touching I don't mind if its rap, folk, or alternative

42 minutes ago, Elagabalus said:

I prefer deep songs 

Honestly as long as its lyrics are touching I don't mind if its rap, folk, or alternative

Try Plastic Tree; lots of deep, emotional songs and a huge, diverse catalogue of 20+ years of music to dig into.

5 hours ago, Elagabalus said:

I prefer deep songs 

You might find Madeth Gray'll or Schwardix Marvally interesting. They're a bit more niche though and have a very distinct sound to them.

6 hours ago, Elagabalus said:

I prefer deep songs 

alternative is a bit of a vague rock genre to me have you expanded your musical tastes in rock or metal outside of visual kei? If you're unsure what kind of rock or metal you like it makes it very hard to recommend stuff since visual kei fans aren't a monolith and we all sorta like our own stuff. As for me I really enjoy Kamijo's bands and stuff like malice mizer, moi dix mois, UnsraW, metis gretel, nightmare, etc. 

6 hours ago, Elagabalus said:

I prefer deep songs 

Hmm... first band that comes in mind is probably Royz

Blu-BiLLioN

LOST ASH

Lustknot.

These were one of my fav bands and still are :D 

You might also like:

i.D.A

HAKLO

^

My current addictions, also really like the lyrics of the songs they write. :) 

On 11/30/2020 at 12:32 PM, Elagabalus said:

Cause I'm that guy

I honest agree with the first reply based on your preference. There is so much stuff in the genera i can make your head spin. Do you like screaming? Do you like hardcore screaming, a balance or none at all? Some of these questions id ask yourself overall based on this:

10 hours ago, Elagabalus said:

I prefer deep songs 

Here is what i have come up with based off what you wrote here:

Prob one of the more under rated D songs. 

Fulfills the rap part. 

Personal recommendations: (Sorry if its a lot)

Video is in Crap quality.

You've heard Visual kei if you watched Death Note, which I'm going to assume you did cus of your avi (if you only read the manga it's still worth checking out judging on your taste) Nightmare did the 1st ending theme. It was actually my first "jrock" song, and one of my old faves. Then I went onto discover  Gazette's 2006-2012 stuff. It suited my palette at the time. 

I recommend listening to both bands, but I was never into Nightmare, that single simply  introduced me. Maybe you'd like them (?) but I have a feeling Gazette would be more up your alley..

Edited by fruitfork
Brain worms

6 hours ago, fruitfork said:

You've heard Visual kei if you watched Death Note, which I'm going to assume you did cus of your avi (if you only read the manga it's still worth checking out judging on your taste) Nightmare did the 1st ending theme. It was actually my first "jrock" song, and one of my old faves. Then I went onto discover  Gazette's 2006-2012 stuff. It suited my palette at the time. 

I recommend listening to both bands, but I was never into Nightmare, that single simply  introduced me. Maybe you'd like them (?) but I have a feeling Gazette would be more up your alley..

Oh really didint know thx! 

11 hours ago, lichtlune said:

alternative is a bit of a vague rock genre to me have you expanded your musical tastes in rock or metal outside of visual kei? If you're unsure what kind of rock or metal you like it makes it very hard to recommend stuff since visual kei fans aren't a monolith and we all sorta like our own stuff. As for me I really enjoy Kamijo's bands and stuff like malice mizer, moi dix mois, UnsraW, metis gretel, nightmare, etc. 

Hmm I'd say pop Rock, electronica, hip hop ballad, when I say alt rock I mean songs like linkin parks papercut for a reference. I prefer experimental genre blending the bands shine most there when they just right music and not trying to sound what the band sounds like. 

Everybody kills the beat no doubt but literally the rhymes speak for themselves 

Edited by Elagabalus
Autocorrect

16 hours ago, zombieparadise said:

Try Plastic Tree; lots of deep, emotional songs and a huge, diverse catalogue of 20+ years of music to dig into.

Well I do have all their collection, and other then melt It really didint interest me much. 

I second Gazette. I don't know if Ruki does it these days but he used to "rap" sometimes 🤣

But here's more anyway.

Or....this. album. 

16 hours ago, Elagabalus said:

@Axius holy God that's alot thanks mate! 

Haha yes it is. Again I apologize if its rather long this genera has a lot of stuff to dive into. 😅 lol

Let me know what you think. 

Edited by Axius