VkBrutaliaN

How big is your (CD) collection?

I got the idea for this most likely quite short-lived topic for a few months now but a quite recent post in the your last music related buy topic made me finally put this idea into action.

So basically just tell how big is your collection? (physical only)

I was wondering because on here there seem to be many people who buy regularly stuff so i am quite curious who has the biggest collection?

Doesn't matter if it's just Vk/japanese or also none japanese bands...

Here are my stats: (japanese bands only)

1170 CDs

182 DVDs (incl. comment dvds)

442 different Bands (incl. Bands from V.A. releases)

164 Cheki

2 Fotobooks

No need to be as over the top with your stats like i am but since i write down everything in this regard...

So hopefully this is an interesting topic to get to know who MH biggest collector is.

Also don't worry, you can also post your stats if you only own 20 CDs or whatever. Cuz always keep in mind this is like literally mostly only about the "numbers".

For example if one owns 10.000 CDs but in your opinion out of those 10.000 CDs 9.999 CDs are total garbage then in your eyes logically it's still a shit collection.

So keep that in mind that this topic is mainly about the quantity and not what you or anyone else things about the quality cuz obviously (hopefully) every single person will love his own collection the most.

Finally there are many sup-questions i could add here but to keep it kinda simple i'll leave it as it is for now.

So finally, excel file with my collection comes in handy.

I have:

112 singles( 79 different singles, out of those 23 in 2 different versions, 5 in 3 different versions) - all japanese

307 albums - 115 are japanese

41 mini albums/EPs - 37 are japanese

13 DVD/blu ray With concerts - all japanese
3 posters on the wall and 3-4 somewhere in the closet

0 cheki

51 japanese artists/bands(around 35 are VK) - not including VA albums(have only 4 of those)

Big chunk of my collection is the Gazette, started collecting their CDs about 10 years ago and i am pretty much at the finish line. Out of 112 of my singles, 51 are theirs.(all the different editions etc.)

Oh, crap.  

Until like December I used to have over 500 CDs and DVDs and I’ve been selling a lot of them and now have 294. 

As for cheki... 1089 in my shelf... probably over 100 more stuck in Japan. 

A handful of photobooks and magazines, somewhere around 40 I’d say. 

I've sold like 50 CDs and thrown away over a hundred CDs this year so my collection is probably not as big as you would think.

I dont think i've ever counted how much is on these shelves.... but I also have 100~200 CDs in the US still waiting to be shipped over here so I dont think I can get an accurate number currently🤔

As of today, I have a total of 62 VK CDs in my possession. I chronicle what's in it on my collection share post entry and on my vk.gy account. The main bulk of my collection are Malice Mizer and Plastic Tree (trying to complete my collection, I'm getting close with MM but trying to complete Pura's discography will be the be the death of me I swear) but because I like a lot of artists, I have 1-2 CDs from a bunch of different bands that I really like. My collection basically tripled due to quarantine spending, which is kinda nice because it was even smaller before (something like 20 or less CDs if you don't include the western ones I had) and is now big enough where I feel comfortable with its size. I have stopped spending on it to save some cash for university. Good lord knows my textbooks will probably cost more than all of my collection combined.

If you include my (extremely tiny) western collection then it comes to 71 in total. I also have some VK photo/interview books as well but I don't really include them in my collection count (except for on vk.gy), they're their own thing. If it matters, I have 3 on me (all Malice Mizer related) and I plan to add some more.

@Kaile

Sounds like a solid collection! Also good to know that there are more people who write down everything meticulously.

@Enki

I'm still positive that there has to be a few who probably have a bigger collection but they just haven't replied yet/don't want to.^^°

Also i am collecting hardcore for about 12 years as of now...

@Komorebi

Over 1.000 cheki!? Óô HOLY SHIT - i guess you are definitly unbeatable when it comes to cheki collection then!^^ Once i also was hardcore into collecting cheki but then i stopped cuz well rather buy one CD instead of 2-3 cheki. Therefore nowadays i only buy cheki directly when i went to a concert as some sort of remembrance which don't happen that often since i only travel to japan maybe all 3-5 years.

@anakuro

Well maybe if you ever are bored to death you wanna count them. ;D

But i thought alone because of how friggin much you bought lately from cali≠gari you must be at least around 1.000 CDs. Although since you live in japan i was always curious how japanese/in japan liveing fans would handle big collections because i guess you much more could ran into "not enough space" problems then oversea fans... Also because of the risk of earthquakes i dunno if i would display them all on CD shelves or rather through them all in some bins...

@Total Saikou

Still a nice collection cuz again the thing that matters the most in the end is that YOU are happy with what you got! And you of course a huge role in the collecting game always is how much money can you afford to spend/how many contacts you have etc...

Wow can't believe I inspired a thread. DVD.

I keep stuff on the ground too. Helps me look for stuff easier. 

https://imgur.com/a/eEAwPdC

https://imgur.com/a/CG8VHHn

The one on the left obviously hold 1500CDs only, but that's only jewel cases. I have a lot of live sold or live distributions, so with those some don't come with a case so I buy slim cases cause they're cheaper.  The one in the middle of the picture I obvs haven't even finished putting stuff in cause I'm meticulous about furigana and alphabet. Also cause I'm lazy. 

So yes those are all nothing but VK cds that I collect and nothing else. I also own a shit ton of photosets(Panic Channel  complete photoset  DragonWAPPPPPPER and FULL EFFECT' as well, and like 80 cheki.

Also I own like 50ish DVDs.

Edit: Also look at this releases i have to buy cases for. 

https://imgur.com/a/MfoV7lR

Also @biopanda has the biggest collection has down. He makes all look like peasants. 

Edited by JRD

3 hours ago, VkBrutaliaN said:

@anakuro

Well maybe if you ever are bored to death you wanna count them. ;D

But i thought alone because of how friggin much you bought lately from cali≠gari you must be at least around 1.000 CDs. Although since you live in japan i was always curious how japanese/in japan liveing fans would handle big collections because i guess you much more could ran into "not enough space" problems then oversea fans... Also because of the risk of earthquakes i dunno if i would display them all on CD shelves or rather through them all in some bins...

In the end, I got curious and had nothing better to do so I did take a look at my japanese CDs. The western CDs I have over are about 100 I believe but I didnt count those

Japanese CDs total is about 430 

I got rid of nearly 150 this year, because of space issues on my shelf and it felt silly keeping a bunch of CDs for bands I dont care about anymore. 

I prefer to keep them on shelves. When we had a relatively big earthquake a year or two ago nothing fell, but that is a risk, yes. I would like to get a better shelving unit to store the CDs in, though, eventually. Until we get our house though, there really isnt space. I'm more worried about our TV, computer monitors, and I guess to an extent my bf's 10+ guitars & basses if there's an earthquake. Jewel cases can, for the most part, be replaced...

anyway since cali gari was brought up:

65 cali gari CDs + 5 doubles I need to get rid of

1 tape

2 m cards

6 DVD box sets + 3 DVDs

I actually dont buy CDs very often these days, cali gari is just a special case with trying to complete the collection. 

cheki i probably did have over 1,000 at one point but i've been selling them so it's significantly less now... Still trying to get rid of most of them, tbh. 

5 hours ago, JRD said:

Wow can't believe I inspired a thread. DVD.

I keep stuff on the ground too. Helps me look for stuff easier. 

https://imgur.com/a/eEAwPdC

https://imgur.com/a/CG8VHHn

Well right on it was really your latest post in the previously mentioned thread which made me finally create this topic idea. ;D

Also gotta say OMG that really looks kinda messy but awesome at the same time! 8D

Edited by VkBrutaliaN

I stay in the "small collection" side, especially considering it's 15+ years I'm collecting. 3/4 of it it's Kamijo related.

75 albums (EPs included)

100 singles

22 DVDs

32 promo discs (here I counted different kinds of promo discs)

5 VHSs

1 cassette

3 misc.

(singles and/or albums with a second CD/DVD included I counted as simply 1 single/album)

In the "collectibles" side (not counting stickers or cards):

79 postcards/bromides

9 photobooks (half of them are from Malice Mizer)

10 pamphlets

7 flyers

12 fanclub magazines

1 cheki

I'm waiting for stuff to come at the end of the month, but nothing that will dramatically change numbers (maybe a bit the postcards and flyers ones)

My western music collection is more or less 25 items betweens albums and a couple singles/DVD

Edited by Arkady

10 minutes ago, VkBrutaliaN said:

Well right on it was really your latest post in the previously mentioned thread which made me finally create this topic idea. ;D

Also gotta say OMG that really looks kinda messy but awesome at the same time! 8D

Lol was really easy read on. No hard feelings. And thanks. I like it chaotic because when I'm organized I can't find stuff. 

I remember how tough it was and specially how long it took me to have everything set up so i only need to put new CDs in the respective shelves were i have ordered everything alphabetically.

58 minutes ago, JRD said:

I like it chaotic because when I'm organized I can't find stuff. 

Haha - i was wondering have you ever reached a point since you collect where everything was "clean" i mean in sense of everything you currently owned was really sorted away with nothing lying around on the floor etc?

1 minute ago, VkBrutaliaN said:

I remember how tough it was and specially how long it took me to have everything set up so i only need to put new CDs in the respective shelves were i have ordered everything alphabetically.

Haha - i was wondering have you ever reached a point since you collect where everything was "clean" i mean in sense of everything you currently owned was really sorted away with nothing lying around on the floor etc?

lmao tbh, it was never clean. I recently got that shelf last week, so I'm still working on organizing it. I filled it up more just this past hour, but I'm meticulous; it's because those CDs that don't have obi's or an identifier I put next to a band that has that obi and identifier so I know where it is. Sometime when it's a band with one release and it's in a slim case, it honestly takes me 30 mins to try to find it. I'm starting to like my floor more now that more CDs are off the ground, but the ones in the sleeves I still need to buy cases for; that'll take a while cause I hate doing anything on my days off.

7 hours ago, VkBrutaliaN said:

Over 1.000 cheki!? Óô HOLY SHIT - i guess you are definitly unbeatable when it comes to cheki collection then!^^ Once i also was hardcore into collecting cheki but then i stopped cuz well rather buy one CD instead of 2-3 cheki. Therefore nowadays i only buy cheki directly when i went to a concert as some sort of remembrance which don't happen that often since i only travel to japan maybe all 3-5 years.

I buy at most important JLK lives, whenever they have special events or instores and now when they tweetcast. It’s what’s keeping them alive.

Also, a few gya have sold me their collections for basically nothing when they quit. I once got over 150 super old Sena cheki for $100 🤭

If I go to a live and they have Atari I also buy a lot. I may have gotten around 40 for Halloween and that got me 2-shots with everyone. 

Probably 800 in my collection are JLK, the rest is D, Morrigan and VRZEL. 

^ Definitely very impressive i must say!

2 hours ago, JRD said:

but the ones in the sleeves I still need to buy cases for; that'll take a while

I also once thought about if i should put all caseless CDs into slimcases but then i refused cuz of the money which would have to go into buying new CD cases and mainly cuz the sleeves mostly they have different colors and i would kinda feel like if i disrupt the original "product" when separating the CD/lyric card from the sleeves if you get what i mean...

And not to forget storing all my (got probably around 100) caseless CDs also within my normal shelves would take up way more space then now that i am only throwing them in small little see-through boxes.

Also this/next week i wanna buy some new protective wrap for my CDs because some other MH member (not sure though who it was otherwise i'd mention him/her) got me the idea to group fotocards together with the respective release which i thought is a pretty nice idea.

Cuz now i have them all in a binder but somehow it just doesn't feel really satisfying this way although it is probably more convenient to look at them but oh well i dunno for sure yet...^^°

31 minutes ago, VkBrutaliaN said:

I also once thought about if i should put all caseless CDs into slimcases but then i refused cuz of the money which would have to go into buying new CD cases and mainly cuz the sleeves mostly they have different colors and i would kinda feel like if i disrupt the original "product" when separating the CD/lyric card from the sleeves if you get what i mean...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this kind of mental bug. *high five*

I sold most of my collection, but I'm sure I still have about 250 CD's.  I'm sure I had around 500 or more tho. 

Also I have lots of chekis... more than 100... maybe even more than 200 lol 

I still do have posters... and other things.

Someday, I will also make a room, full of my stuff :D 

room of Japanese stuff.

Edited by BrenGun

34 minutes ago, BrenGun said:

Someday, I will also make a room, full of my stuff :D 

room of Japanese stuff.

I only can say go for it as soon as possible! ;D

Dunno if you ever so my roomtour video i once posted about 1 1/2 years ago but it was always my dream having a room only dedicated to my complete Vk collection and when i and my wife moved about 3 years ago i was finally able to fulfill my dream and i am super happy about it every single day. 8D

And only just for the record, current TOP 3 biggest CD collections:

1st @JRD

2nd @VkBrutaliaN

3rd @anakuro

So who can beat us? > Remember this is just for fun and no judgment about who is a better fan whatsoever!!

23 hours ago, Kaile said:

So finally, excel file with my collection comes in handy.

I also update my collection in an excel file sheet. Although, I've fallen a bit behind on updating it ^^;

As for my VK collection:

CDs: 320+ (Approximate amount; including comment CDs) - I also have a random assortment of non-VK CDs, but I'm not sure of the exact amount since they're stuck elsewhere. But probably about 100+ if I had to estimate.

DVDs: 100+ (including comment DVDs, couldn't get an exact amount since I don't have all of it on me)

Chekis: 275+ (there's more but some aren't with me)

As for magazines/photobooks/pamphlets, I'm not sure of the exact amount but probably somewhere around 50. (I need to still catalogue these one day, lol.)

And for flyers, posters, and photosets/photocards, I also have a bunch that I've collected, but I'm too lazy to count it 😅

I got bored and decided to count mine. I mostly stopped collecting CDs a few years ago and moved on to vinyl, but kinda got back into collecting cali≠gari a few months ago.

A grand total of 406 Japanese releases:

* 389 CDs, 15 vinyl (14 BORIS, 1 MUCC), 2 DVDs
* 16 are without cases and are just sitting in a CD wallet 😕
* 7 are comment CDs/DVDs
* No polaroids, but a lot of stickers and photo cards that I am not going to count (lol), I've also got one magazine that I only bought for a CD, and I think I've still got some freebie zines that came with various orders.

Individual bands:

* 65 are MERRY, 2 of those are DVDs, 3 are doubles... oh, and there's the demo MD, I keep forgetting I have that

* 33 are cali≠gari, 8 of which are currently in shopping service purgatory

* 13 are the GazettE, 15 are ザアザア (but I stopped at のろいうた in '18) 15 are R-shithead, 16 are Plastic Tree, all very small numbers but I felt like counting these bands too

Even though it's not part of the discussion, I also counted my western releases and have 75 in my shelves. The rest are in a storage box in an unknown realm of existence.

I have approx. 900 releases (don't really have the time to count the ones that are yet to be added to my Discogs profile, sorry :P): mostly CDs, some tapes and LPs. Both Japanese and non-Japanese.

18 hours ago, VkBrutaliaN said:

^ Definitely very impressive i must say!

And not to forget storing all my (got probably around 100) caseless CDs also within my normal shelves would take up way more space then now that i am only throwing them in small little see-through boxes.

Also this/next week i wanna buy some new protective wrap for my CDs because some other MH member (not sure though who it was otherwise i'd mention him/her) got me the idea to group fotocards together with the respective release which i thought is a pretty nice idea.

Cuz now i have them all in a binder but somehow it just doesn't feel really satisfying this way although it is probably more convenient to look at them but oh well i dunno for sure yet...^^°

I still keep the sleeve/lyrics card in the cellophane CD wrap and the CD in side the case, I'm afraid of getting scratches and the likes. I feel the same way, but I kinda tweak it lol

I have 127 items in my collection on vk.gy with about 98% of them being CDs. I’ve been collecting since I was 14 and I’m 23 now so I’d say it’s a good collection for someone that is consistently broke 😂

Take a look at my collection and see if you find anything interesting, I love talking about music and collecting in general.