Total Saikou

How do you sort your CDs?

By the title I’m not referring to storage methods but how you like to sort your collection if you do so. I love asking this question with CD collectors! Even though some don't actually have a particular order they use (as I've learned from asking). I’m wondering how MH peeps like to sort their CDs, specifically because of the different ways to order Japanese versus English CDs.

For example, I normally sort my collection by artist name through the standard Alpha-numeric to Script system: Special characters -> Numbers -> Alphabet (A-Z)-> Hiragana (A-Wa) -> Katakana (A-Wa) -> Kanji (A-Wa). However, I like to “play” with my collection by sorting them in different orders. Here’s how I’ve arranged them before: 

• By artist name, purely phonetically (Japanese mixed with English names, so, for example, 蜉蝣 is next to Kanye West)
  • By album name, Alpha-numeric to Script
  • By oldest to the newest album release date (purely by the date I see on the back of the CD)
  • By newest obtained to the one I have had the longest (I used to order it like this until I learned how to read and look up Japanese)
  • By artist genre, generic to specific (Like this: Electronic -> Electro -> Synthpop -> Piko-Piko) 
  • By album genre, same as above. "generic to specific" is just done arbitrarily by how popular I think a genre is when I'm already as specific as it gets 
  • By my personal favourite to least favourite

How about the rest of you guys? Do any of you use a system I haven't tried yet, because I wouldn't mind trying a new order for my collection!

Edited by Total Saikou
Me English bad

I keep all of my CDs on the same bookcase, separated into 4 sections. 
1. The Gazette

2. Japanese artists

3. Polish artists

4. Everything else

Then, i just sort them alphabetically(roman alphabet , not kana) by artist name, albums from oldest to newest. If i have any singles, singles first, then albums. One shelf in the middle for signed CDs.

(premise: my Vk collection and the MUCH smaller western musicians one are separated)

I divide them by artist/band's name THEN I order each artist's disks by cronological order, from the oldest to the newer (from left to right).

6 hours ago, Arkady said:

(premise: my Vk collection and the MUCH smaller western musicians one are separated)

I divide them by artist/band's name THEN I order each artist's disks by cronological order, from the oldest to the newer (from left to right).

Ooh, I usually never segregate my western CDs from my Japanese ones but maybe I'll try using your system for my next ordering! Especially keeping in mind ordering CDs by the same artist chronologically, I usually just end up putting which one I like most closest to the front when I do my artist name format

I have this designated shelf where I try ordering them by size. I start with the big ones because I don’t like when they stick out randomly and go from there. Not much going on, but it makes me happy XD

Artist sorting is A-Z, even numbers and Japanese (e.g, 9GOATS is found in 'N,' 蜉蝣 is found in 'K'); releases are sorted chronologically. Same goes for my record shelf (as well as sorting on iTunes). No separation by nation, language, or scene, though I probably could if I wanted to, since I have two different shelf cases on my wall.

2 hours ago, Total Saikou said:

Ooh, I usually never segregate my western CDs from my Japanese ones

I do it because western albums would disappear among the ginormous mass of Kamijo's entire career discography (and I still own more or less only half the stuff released).

For each western artist, I usually own max 2-3 disks, it's much easier and faster for me to locate each in the single line I dedicated to them, than scattered and hidden among the MANY dozen Lareine/Versailles/etc discs.

Same reason why my "not-Kamijo" part of the VK collection is separated too, since it's just a little bigger than the western one (and for lack of the right space where to put it all together).

Edited by Arkady

I sort mine by most favorite to least favorite.  It's more convenient for me to have what I listen to the most at the top of my rack.  I've tried alphabetical before but I just get lazy about it when I acquire new CD's. 

I keep my western and Japanese CD's separate, mostly just due to spacing issues and my aforementioned laziness.  I bought most of my western CD's before any of my Japanese ones and kept them on one rack.  I only really started buying Japanese CD's once that rack was already full, and I just didn't wanna reorganize them tbh

I sort my albums in chronological order - more specifically, by the artist's first album.

Their later albums come before the next artist comes, even though the next artist may have released their album before the later albums of the first artist.

Thanks to whichever mod/admin changed the title, I legitimately forgot that the English word "sort" existed and that "ordering your CDs" can mean something else whoopsie

I'm going to try a new sorting format I just thought of for my collection, I will write it here so I don't forget about it later. By release format: Single -> Maxi-single -> EP -> Mini-album -> Original full length studio album -> Best album/Compilations -> Misc. (Gonna throw my Collector Box and 8cms in a separate box, fitting them in with the rest is such a hassle). Order within each category shall be done by artist name, purely phonetically.