MAGORiA

How to make Visual Kei popular again?

You have all made great posts! ❤️

So basically visual kei is a niche genre that sucks at marketing and most bands doesn't use facebook, instagram, youtube or twitter to engage with their fans. Because of that it's hard to discover visual kei if you don't know what to search for.

Someone asked what the point is to make it more popular again, as it was back in the early 00's. Why I want it to become more popular is because I like visual kei as a subculture and don't want it to die out in the west. I miss the subculture here in the west, it used to be bigger, it was a subculture in the real world. Now it feels like the subculture only exists online...

It's an unique subculture, it's not like punk or goth. People from other subcultures often calls me and my friends "posers" because they think we try to be goth or something haha.

Edited by MAGORiA
Accidentally pressed "submit" before I was done lol

I think a big reason why some people would like VK to get more traction again is so that the younger bands can start to play overseas. Sure, there are still some bands coming over but not as many as it used to be during the hype-phase. For many people, me included, it has been the only chance to see my favorite bands live and not just through a screen. I'm very grateful for that and I hope other vk-fans that are young now can make the same experiences. 

This video along with Fender's clip of J trying a model from their new Ultra series...

...makes me wonder why the Western music industry's big fishes' visibility of J-rockers (and thus their legitimacy over them as rock musicians) is happening today, with a VK scene deader than ever, both in Japan and abroad, and not in 2007.

Is 2020 going to be a revitalizing year for VK despite all our -accurately justified- apocalyptic thoughts?

Edited by saiko

2 hours ago, saiko said:

This video along with Fender's clip of J trying a model from their new Ultra series...

...makes me wonder why the Western music industry's big fishes' visibility of J-rockers (and thus their legitimacy over them as rock musicians) is happening today, with a VK scene deader than ever, both in Japan and abroad, and not in 2007.

Is 2020 going to be a revitalizing year for VK despite all our -accurately justified- apocalyptic thoughts?

I just posted the video with Die and Toshiya somewhere else on here. Didn't know about the one with J. I think it has to do with how rock has been dying in the west. In 2007 some form of it was still holding on in popularity. But now beggars can't be choosers and so anything that will get people talking/clicking is now fair game. A number of Japanese bands have been doing well for themselves abroad. I wonder if we'll start seeing stuff like this with the Japanese metalcore bands that have been building fanbases abroad (and they appeal to people who don't necessarily care about Jrock/vkei).