Champ213

Any old school bands?

Anyone got any good V-kei/J-rock bands/artists they recommend? I’m trying to find more bands/artists to listen to than just the more well-known ones (The Gazette, X Japan, Versailles, etc.) but I haven’t had much luck.

Would prefer the bands/artists to be active, but it’s no requirement.

On 11/21/2018 at 5:11 PM, AmberCrystal17 said:

Anyone got any good V-kei/J-rock bands/artists they recommend? I’m trying to find more bands/artists to listen to than just the more well-known ones (The Gazette, X Japan, Versailles, etc.) but I haven’t had much luck.

DIMLIM, DEZERT

Hello, everyone. I was looking for more Japanese bands like:

Dir en grey

GazettE

kizu

OZ

lynch

There's a whole laundry list of other "heavy" v-kei bands I've listened to (Deathgaze, Girugamesh, Sadie, 12012, Mao's new band, MUCC, D'espairsRay, Rentrer En Soi, Nega, UnsraW, DIO, Nocturnal Bloodlust); but found most of them to be pretty lame with the exception of MUCC and RES.

Thanks!

I'm looking for recommendations for Visual Kei bands that are dark and moody in the vein of the track 'Ominous' by The Gazette, preferably without screaming vocals. I'm really into anything with an oppressive, grim or bleak atmosphere. It's helpful if there's use of piano as well. Other similar tracks I've found are 'Until...' by Mejibray and '赤' by Dir En Grey.

I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning because it's not really Vkei, but there's an album by Phantasm + FES (Fictional band from the Steins;Gate/Chaos;Head franchise fronted by Sakakibara Yui) who have done some albums that really fit this tone too, if anyone needs an extra point of reference.

I know this is kind of a niche recommendation, but even if someone could recommend albums or songs it'd be great.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:05 AM, rarestlobster said:

I'm looking for recommendations for Visual Kei bands that are dark and moody in the vein of the track 'Ominous' by The Gazette, preferably without screaming vocals. I'm really into anything with an oppressive, grim or bleak atmosphere. It's helpful if there's use of piano as well. Other similar tracks I've found are 'Until...' by Mejibray and '赤' by Dir En Grey.

I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning because it's not really Vkei, but there's an album by Phantasm + FES (Fictional band from the Steins;Gate/Chaos;Head franchise fronted by Sakakibara Yui) who have done some albums that really fit this tone too, if anyone needs an extra point of reference.

I know this is kind of a niche recommendation, but even if someone could recommend albums or songs it'd be great.

I would highly recommend you to delve into progressive metal.

A lot of progressive bands use beautiful clean vocals with haunting and atmospheric music.

Checkout the official Spotify progressive metal playlist. I'm so sure you won't be disappointed.

If you only want Japanese stuff then check out 

- the Novembers, and other shoegaze genre bands

- sarigia

- dimlim - though it has screaming but the atmosphere is there.

Edited by FOSCOR70

On 12/11/2018 at 1:11 AM, geist said:

Hello, everyone. I was looking for more Japanese bands like:

Dir en grey

GazettE

kizu

OZ

lynch

There's a whole laundry list of other "heavy" v-kei bands I've listened to (Deathgaze, Girugamesh, Sadie, 12012, Mao's new band, MUCC, D'espairsRay, Rentrer En Soi, Nega, UnsraW, DIO, Nocturnal Bloodlust); but found most of them to be pretty lame with the exception of MUCC and RES.

Thanks!

The black swan,dimlim,nazare,d.i.d., deviloof,sarigia,gozenreiji,razor,verxina

Edited by FOSCOR70

On 11/22/2018 at 4:41 AM, AmberCrystal17 said:

D.I.D.

And you can also check out this playlist-

https://open.spotify.com/user/31y4mcvm4zhhdyhbs6pxblcx5tqy/playlist/5ihqUNnv9MxiwwtszYp5Ns?si=z0pcP60lQUG7aa8im2TAig

Edited by FOSCOR70

On 11/21/2018 at 4:11 PM, AmberCrystal17 said:

Kizu, Dadaroma, Arlequin, Reign, Dimlim, Jiluka 

Looking for some good vk bands/vocalists who use a little high pitched voice in singing or naturally have a high pitched voice.

I'm looking for clean vocals obviously with minimal or no screaming but it's not a must.

Thank you.

Edited by FOSCOR70

Any visual kei/j-rock bands doing this sound now? I know Girugamesh came out with it before it was really a big thing, and now that it is I'm curious as to how many other bands are doing it in Japan.

8 minutes ago, Sahzx said:

I need to listen to sad songs or with a melancholy or somber mood. Help me please.

The first two from the top of my head:

Versailles- Serenade

kizu- Uramibushi

Not sure if this has been asked before but im looking for vk bands like -OZ- and sel'm (Ryuuga era). They have heavy instrumentals and riffs that reminds me of post grunge/nu metal from 2000s. They both have vocalist with deep clean voices and impressive growls

Songs like the game or I'm Raider from sel'm

As for -OZ-, something like Perfect Ruler or I killed yesterday's me

Thank you in advanced!

Edited by moniker

On 2/5/2019 at 1:51 PM, FOSCOR70 said:

Looking for some good vk bands/vocalists who use a little high pitched voice in singing or naturally have a high pitched voice.

I'm looking for clean vocals obviously with minimal or no screaming but it's not a must.

Thank you.

I'm a bit late, but Yui from UNiTE has kind of a high voice. Not falsetto or anything, but it's far from deep. He screams occasionally, but not too often.

Yuuki from Initial'L also has a high voice. He used to be in Lycaon and the general consensus is that Lycaon was better, but I guess because Initial'L sound poppier, they may be better for totally clean vocals. Not that Yuuki ever really screamed much, anyways. Besides, I guess whether or not they're actually better is kind of subjective.

Additionally, Hitomi (ex-Moran) has a soft voice and I don't recall him ever screaming. His voice isn't the highest I've ever heard, but again, it's far from deep and sounds delicate.

Does anyone know of any bands with heavy jazz influences like Sugar? For instance, I had Jikkendai Marmot recommended to me not so long ago and thought they were fantastic. Also, how about bands with really good guitar? Again, like Sugar, lol.

Edited by Gesu

12 minutes ago, Gesu said:

Does anyone know of any bands with heavy jazz influences like Sugar? For instance, I had Jikkendai Marmot recommended to me not so long ago and thought they were fantastic. Also, how about bands with really good guitar? Again, like Sugar, lol.

I'm not sure if these guys are classified as VK or pseudo-VK or whatnot, but they're a jazz-rock band that may appeal to you.

"really good guitar" is a bit vague for me, as I'm not super familiar with Sugar...BUT, here's one of my favorite bands called 八十八ヶ所巡礼 (88kasyo Junrei). They're not VK...but the vocalist is male :lol: Here are some of their songs that u can skim through:

Spoiler

On 4/17/2019 at 2:15 AM, Gesu said:

Does anyone know of any bands with heavy jazz influences like Sugar?

Not sure if you're looking for VK bands but unless not.. One of my favorites: Yellow Studs. They're like jazzy garage rock. If you don't mind the raspy vocals, personally I love them.

Edited by indigo

On 4/16/2019 at 4:15 PM, Gesu said:

try MELLO, they're rather similar to Sugar imo.

On 4/16/2019 at 5:52 AM, moniker said:

Not sure if this has been asked before but im looking for vk bands like -OZ- and sel'm (Ryuuga era). They have heavy instrumentals and riffs that reminds me of post grunge/nu metal from 2000s. They both have vocalist with deep clean voices and impressive growls

here are some lesser known bands that might fit under your description

these guys are more recent and have traditional influences but still pretty good imo

Recently, I have been listening to other VK bands such as Sadie and Phantimasigoria and I was wondering what are other good bands to check out. Anything will be appreciated!

Bands I like:

Dir En Grey

The Gazette

Malice Mizer
X Japan

Luna Sea

Sadie

existtrace

Nine Inch Nails

Rammstein

Marylin Manson

LAREINE

Not sure if they'd be up your alley, but personally, I really love jazzy stuff, so I would recommend Sugar and Moran (the former being a bit more jazzy than the latter). Both of them have disbanded, unfortunately, but they both had my favourite guitarist (Sizna) in their line-ups, and he's really worth listening to. If you want, I can recommend particular songs :)

Also, not really VK, but on the subject of jazz, Jikkendai Marmot are 👌

...I realise I've talked a lot about jazz without actually knowing whether or not you like it. I apologise.

25 minutes ago, Gesu said:

Not sure if they'd be up your alley, but personally, I really love jazzy stuff, so I would recommend Sugar and Moran (the former being a bit more jazzy than the latter). Both of them have disbanded, unfortunately, but they both had my favourite guitarist (Sizna) in their line-ups, and he's really worth listening to. If you want, I can recommend particular songs :)

Also, not really VK, but on the subject of jazz, Jikkendai Marmot are 👌

...I realise I've talked a lot about jazz without actually knowing whether or not you like it. I apologise.

Jazz sounds freaking dope! I'll def check them out!