Zeus

Worst To First: Dir en grey

WORST TO FIRST ~ Dir en grey ~  

125 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is their worst album to date?

2. 2. What do you think is their best album to date? (does not have to be your favorite!)

3. 3. Which is your favorite album? (favorite album does not have to be the best!)

At least that screech from original version's chorus is not that annoying in the re-recording. And I like Kyo's part after solo. And dunno, ending doesn't feels like a filler due to added lyrics.

I love The Insulated World with all my heart

The production is weird yeah BUT I DON'T CARE

It's kind of personal to me, I've been through stuff lately so this album came and reconforts me, the lyrics are direct and they lack weird metaphors, but that the point it's a "I hate the world, you too? Sing with me then" 

The first half pumps me up, and makes me take all that angst, anger and hate towards the world

Then Aka makes me melancholic

Values of madness IT'S AMAZING, simple but that the point, it makes me feel good and it's simply pure fun, I can't wait to hear it live

The rest of the album it's also special to me, sometimes Ranunculus makes me emotional and I think about the way I'm living my life

My only real complain would be Zetsuentai, too long just too long

Quick about the others

Gauze- Catchy and easy to listen . Favorite: Cage; Less Favorite:  Mask

Macabre- I have an original physical copy, so I say no more. Favorite: Macabre of course and Zakuro, man that song has made me cry, plus the Blitz live it's what made me love DIru; Less Favorite: Hydra, too long

Kisou: Like it, yeah the shin-song are fillers but they're not that long. Favorite: Mushi, another crying one; Less: Pink killer

Vulgar: Really like it too, it works for me. Favorite: audience killer loop; less: Increase blue or new age culture

WTD: Another personal to me, it takes me to places of my mind and memories, really really love it. Favorite: Kodou; Less: Jesus rnr

MOB:  I like this album, especially when I'm angry. Favorite: Namamekashiki and Disabled Complexes :P; less: Repetition of hatred

Uroboros: It's great. Do I need to say more?. Favorite: Ware, yami tote OMG THAT SONG HAS MADE ME CRYING LIKE A BABY, also Gaika; Less: I don't have one

DSS: It's very a very consistent album  and don't like that, I prefer the albums being a weird mix of whatever the artist wants to make, If he wants to put a EDM song next to an Industrial song and the a Metalcore band I will prefer that over the album sounding similar. That's my problem with DSS, many song are great, mental, the blossoming beelzebub is fucking mental. Favorite: The Blossoming Beelzebub duh?, Yokusou and Shitataru. Less: Akatsuki

Arche: It's too long. Great songs, but others are just making the album too long, another reason why I prefer TIW, short and to the point. Favorite: Behind a vacant image and Phenomenon; Less: Some songs are just too meh to dislike them 

And that's it. Yeah, Dir en grey is my favorite band

On 11/16/2019 at 9:52 PM, Ameyoru said:

I love The Insulated World with all my heart

The production is weird yeah BUT I DON'T CARE

It's kind of personal to me, I've been through stuff lately so this album came and reconforts me, the lyrics are direct and they lack weird metaphors, but that the point it's a "I hate the world, you too? Sing with me then" 

The first half pumps me up, and makes me take all that angst, anger and hate towards the world

Then Aka makes me melancholic

Values of madness IT'S AMAZING, simple but that the point, it makes me feel good and it's simply pure fun, I can't wait to hear it live

The rest of the album it's also special to me, sometimes Ranunculus makes me emotional and I think about the way I'm living my life

My only real complain would be Zetsuentai, too long just too long

I wish I could get past the production of TIW, because there's some great songs on there and after seeing some of them live I really want to enjoy them recorded too - there's just a weird feeling of constantly being pushed up against a wall when I'm listening to it, and compared to the mixing/production of previous albums it was a disappointment. It feels quite claustrophobic in a way, so if that's what they were going for they nailed it, it's just not for me. Though I did revisit it a month or two back and it didn't bother me so much, so there's hope!

Hoping they maybe pull an UROBOROS ver.2 on it in five years so I can hear someone else's take. Actually, the person who mixed the original version of UROBOROS re-working it would probably be a good shout, the balance they had on that original version would work really well for the songs on TIW.

Well... I Respect your opinions and points of view... It's Interesting read a guy to make a ranking list of the Diru's albums...

This is my Ranking From Best To Worst:

01-UROBOROS [Remastered & Expanded] 

02-DUM SPIRO SPERO

03-ARCHE

04-The Insulated World

05-THE MARROW OF A BONE

06-Kisou

07-Macabre

08-VULGAR

09-Withering To Death

10-GAUZE

16 hours ago, kyoselflove said:

Arche is life. Gauze is my heart. Fuck UROBOROS.

What do you hate about UROBOROS?

11 hours ago, Saishu said:

Yes. Fuck it passionately

...marry vulgar and kill DSS?

On 12/31/2019 at 4:27 PM, kyoselflove said:

Arche is life. Gauze is my heart. Fuck UROBOROS.

You can't just say fuck Uroboros without no sort of context lmao. Well you can but...IM ASKING YOU FOR CONTEXT!!!!

23 hours ago, Fyrnia4Maya said:

One thing I really like is how much our lists vary, speaks tons about how good and divisive deg is. Especially I see that dum Spiro spero is either one of your favorites or one of your most hated, that's really cool don't you think? 

Yeah in that way it's a very successful album imo, especially compared to Arche that seems to find an unenthusiastic middle position in everyones list ( or TiW that's in the middle at best or bottom at worst. )

I am honestly surprised WTD rates so low on this list. It was my first DEG album and figured it would be a favorite for more, as I figured a lot of western people got into them during that time (and the year's proceeding it's release). Maybe it hasn't aged all that well ?

Anyway, it's difficult to pick a favorite as I tend to see them in eras:

'Baby' DEG = GAUZE -> KISOU
'Angsty Teenager DEG' = VULGAR -> MARROW OF A BONE
'Adult DEG' = UROBOROS -> ARCHE
'2nd Childhood DEG' = The Insulated World

My picks in these personal eras would be: KISOU, WTD, ARCHE, and I guess TIW by default lol

Interesting to see such a split of opinions from all across the spectrum though. This is truly a band everyone can enjoy in one form or another.

Edited by zombieparadise

I find early deg often too confusing. I would even say that the visual diru works really better for me in a audio-visual way. Myaku is a song that I dig the MV a lot, but without the right mood I would skip it easily in the song player. Macabre is another song that makes me think that if I had a bigger understanding of the language, the album (and maybe the whole era) would feel less deranged. Like in a classic japanese theather experience, the guitars making strange noises followed by some drumming in the middle of the song would only make sense if you know the history behind it beforehand.
Of course the band never stopped in sounding chaotic, but now they are chaotic in a more ordened way, making it easier to digest.
The last 3 releases are highly enjoyable albums. I could listen DSS, Arche and TIW for ages without skiping a song, but they lack of really remarkable tracks. Thats why I put TMoaB higher. Even if sometimes it is a tiring experience, Namamekashiki, Ryoujoku no Ame, The Pledge and Conceived Sorrow made it for me.
Uroboros, Vulgar and WtD are things that I will protect with my life.

01. Uroboros
01. Vulgar
03. Withering to Death

04. The Marrow of a Bone
05. Dum Spiro Spero
05. Arche
07. The Insulated World

08. Gauze
09. Kisou
10. Macabre